Black
    2001 WS6

third gen dash lighting

so im most likely buying a third gen tomorrow. 1992 camaro rs. The guy told me that the dash board lights dont work..i asked him to explain, and he told me the person before him installed led lights in the dash, but he never found the "switch" for them. is this something that could be easily remedied? i was thinking a fuse could be blown, or a shorted wire perhaps?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Could be wired wrong or a fuse, or the switch itself. Maybe try replacing the LED's with stock lamps and go from there..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Could be wired wrong or a fuse, or the switch itself. Maybe try replacing the LED's with stock lamps and go from there..
    Depending on how much you have to take apart, I would start with the fuses first.

If not them, check the connections at the switch itself, power into and out of the switch, then bulbs, then see if power is at the sockets.

If its wired wrong, I wish you the best of luck! lol, 2 generations of miswiring things would be a bigger headache than a blown motor.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Depending on how much you have to take apart, I would start with the fuses first.

If not them, check the connections at the switch itself, power into and out of the switch, then bulbs, then see if power is at the sockets.

If its wired wrong, I wish you the best of luck! lol, 2 generations of miswiring things would be a bigger headache than a blown motor.
    3rd gens are pretty strait forward.. I should have mentioned fuses first my bad..

Black
    2001 WS6

i should have mentioned this first. the guy says he's never found the switch. says in the 2 years he's had the car he hasnt had dash lights.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    i should have mentioned this first. the guy says he's never found the switch. says in the 2 years he's had the car he hasnt had dash lights.
    I'm not too fimiliar with 3rd gens, but I'm sure you still need to turn the lights on on, meaning the backlit area of the dash turns on with the running lights. Unless they're on all the time, there has to be a switch.

Black
    2001 WS6

no what i meant is there's an aux switch i guess for the led lights the guy put in

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

no what i meant is there's an aux switch i guess for the led lights the guy put in
    Ah. I gotcha.

Seems the best route might be to see if theres a fuse for the stock dash lights, then if theres bulbs if the sockets, otherwise you may have to chase the wire back from the LED's themselves till you find a switch of sorts.

I'll go ahead and hope it's a fuse for you

Black
    2001 WS6

same. ill keep u posted

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This is gonna sound nuts but try pushing in the cig lighter. I have actually seen it used like a switch before on other cars.. Or try checking inside the center console. It's also highly possible the person/s whom wired them in skipped a step possibly calling for a resistor or resistant switch and simultainiously(sp)=wipes sweet from brow) blowing out every single LED that they had installed.. Especially if the fuse was rated higher than the LED's.. LED's (or Light Emitting Diode) would die long before a fuse of too high amperage rating would ever blow.. Also LED's are polaric and only let current flow in one direction.. Meaning wire them wrong they do nothing, wire them +/+ and -/- and they emit light........ In some cases putting strait automotive 12v current and amperage to a "bare" LED will result in a near immediate death of the LED. A split second faze to orange and then death......
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    This is gonna sound nuts but try pushing in the cig lighter. I have actually seen it used like a switch before on other cars.. Or try checking inside the center console. It's also highly possible the person/s whom wired them in skipped a step possibly calling for a resistor or resistant switch and simultainiously(sp)=wipes sweet from brow) blowing out every single LED that they had installed.. Especially if the fuse was rated higher than the LED's.. LED's (or Light Emitting Diode) would die long before a fuse of too high amperage rating would ever blow.. Also LED's are polaric and only let current flow in one direction.. Meaning wire them wrong they do nothing, wire them +/+ and -/- and they emit light........ In some cases putting strait automotive 12v current and amperage to a "bare" LED will result in a near immediate death of the LED. A split second faze to orange and then death......
    Good call on the LED possible issues. All good facts. I would keep amperage low, probably around 5A depending on how many there are. Hopefully can get good manufacturer info to get proper amperage and use the proper resistor for voltage.

Black
    2001 WS6

could i replace them with regular bulbs, and it work ?
    also
    s I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get the car smogged without it being in your name fully. Appearently, when the guy bought it from the prev owner, he never put his name on the title, and the car has expired tags. I want to make sure it passes emissions before i buy it. He told me he just replaced the pcv valve not too long ago. He said the title's notarized, i just have to fill in my info. Does anyone know if you can smog check a vehicle when it's not in your name fully? im trying to avoid possibly being scammed

White
    2008 Hummer H3

could i replace them with regular bulbs, and it work ?
    also
    s I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get the car smogged without it being in your name fully. Appearently, when the guy bought it from the prev owner, he never put his name on the title, and the car has expired tags. I want to make sure it passes emissions before i buy it. He told me he just replaced the pcv valve not too long ago. He said the title's notarized, i just have to fill in my info. Does anyone know if you can smog check a vehicle when it's not in your name fully? im trying to avoid possibly being scammed
    You'll need the pink slip for the purchase. But it's possible.. AAA does on the spot registraitions..

Black
    2001 WS6

ive got triple A, how's that work? Also but can you get the car smog tested without it being in ur name?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

ive got triple A, how's that work? Also but can you get the car smog tested without it being in ur name?
    Take the pink slip or bill of sale into AAA office, prolly find one in your town or near to it.. Since the sale is final in writing they can issue a vehicle registraition on the spot for a fee of course. You'll also have to show proof of insurance too (insurance cards can be printed online from your provider).. But not sure in your area if you need to have insurance or not.. Smog testing won't usually happen without vehicle registraition first..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Or just pay to have it tested period.. $45 bucks in my land..

Black
    2001 WS6

i called the local smog shop for the mvd. they said the car doesnt have to be in your name to have it smog checked. Also, as far as insurance goes. i called my ins. company today asking them if it would be covered once i got it, so i could drive it home, and they said yes. When i go to register it tomorrow at the mvd, can i just show them an insurance card for my other card as proof?

Buy Domestic, Buy a Lexus The Project's Avatar

Red Jewel
    2010 SS

so im most likely buying a third gen tomorrow. 1992 camaro rs. The guy told me that the dash board lights dont work..i asked him to explain, and he told me the person before him installed led lights in the dash, but he never found the "switch" for them. is this something that could be easily remedied? i was thinking a fuse could be blown, or a shorted wire perhaps?
    Good resource to check out......go to the message forum to have any questions answered.

www.thirdgen.org

Thread Information