Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

systemizing 01 ws6?

My stock speakers are shot... I'm considering guttin the whole stereo system and starting over... possibly even amping the components... I recently deleted the rear seats due to a roll cage, so I may as well build a sub box in their place.. now my question is, what size component speakers are where? And what will fit in the stock holes? Minor cutting/fabbing is fine in my book... also will the larger thicker head units fit in the dash? Or should I just stick to a slim conventional cd player? Thanks for your time!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

A double din will fit with modifications to the dash trim, i believe 6litereater sells a trim piece molded for it already. The fronts are 6.5s with tweeters on TAs if i remember correctly, as well as 6.5s by the rear seats. Not exactly sure whats in the back, but with some modification people fit 5x7s in there.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Anyone ever get 6x9s anywhere? Or is that way too much to ask? Hahaha. So a 5x7 should fit where the 6.5s are? Just need to know what to price... this isn't gonna be cheap I have a feeling...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I reccomend wiring your speakers directly to the head unit, and skip all the factory wiring. Otherwise the monsoon amp will put noise into the line. And 6x9's wont fit in the back trunk panels. I got 4x6's. All polk. It rocks.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Good deal... I was considering running all external amps for the components.... nothin crazy but like a small 4 channel amp... I def wanna rid the car of all stock monsoon stuff... it was good in its day, but its days are numbered! Also I remember seeing someone building a sub box where the rear seats used to be... any info on that would be appreciated...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You would be better off with a box in the t-top area. You can put a ten in each side in the back. One where the cd changer is, and one where the spare tire goes. You cna find those on ebay cheap. I have one ten running 800 watts, and it thumps, hard. You could also get a box made by subthumps that will hold up to 2 12's. they are really sweet boxes. They fill the whole t-top area, and still have an area to hold your t-tops. About 350-400 for the subthump.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Good deal, ill check it out... but I was thinkin of buildin a custom box right off of the back deck and angling it down so it ended right behind the back of the front seats... I was thinkin 2 kicker 15" L7s... amp between em... need something to fill the ugly empty spot where the rear seats used to sit...

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Stick with 6.5's. lot more selection then 5x7's. With a large sub box you might as well leave out the rear hatch speakers. Won't hear them anyway.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

On my car i'm planning all 6.5s front and sides, and 5x7 rear all run off JLs 6 channel Amp and a second amd to run 1 10" sub in the back corner of the car.
    Thats just to give you an idea

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Yeah... I like the sounds of that... I don't need the bass of 2 kicker 15s... but I think it'd look good back there... what else would fill up that big empty void?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by cj3489 View Post
    Yeah... I like the sounds of that... I don't need the bass of 2 kicker 15s... but I think it'd look good back there... what else would fill up that big empty void?
    Some tig ol bitties?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cj3489 View Post
    You could go with one of those t-top boxes to hold 2 subs in the rear like someone else had mentioned
    I personally don't think i need more thump than 1 10" myself.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Ill say it again. I got one ten kicker, and 800 watts in the corner box, and with the hatchback, it hits hard. It will actually make me a little sick sometimes. I wouldnt skimp on the backmost speakers. And they are 5x7's.
    Some other tips. The door tweeters have small factory crossovers behind the door panel. If you use component speakers, you will need to cut these out. I have no idea what the values are of these, but im sure polk has the better crossovers. And speaking of crossovers, i put my crossovers under the carpet on the pass side. For two reasons. First of all, the wiring for the stereo system runs through here. That means you can splice into the wiring for the door speakers, This is important becasue then you dont have to fish wires through the door. If you want to fish them through, have at it. And secondly, there is ample space under the carpet here.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I mounted my amp in a pretty sweet place, too. I bolted it to the back side of the divider over the trunk. It sits out of sight, but you can swing it over for more cargo space. And when you swing it over, you can access the wires and controls really easily. Disconnecting it is so simple. One screwdriver, and the divider just swings out and off the car. With the amp attached.
    And I would recommend a capacitor. Then you wont have any problems with your alternator and lights. I burnt out two alts before I put a capacitor in. Now, hits even harder, and no more problems with the alt. The alts in these cars are barely keeping up with charging the battery and running the car. Bigger alt, 300 easy. Figure out a pickup alt to work,yuck. Capacitor fixed all that.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

+1 on the cap, i'm gonna need one as well

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Thanks for all the hellp guys! I'm gonna start buying stuff very soon! ill be sure to keep ya updated...gonna stock pile everything and then go for it... wish me luck! Hahahah!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Look forward to seeing what you end up with
    good luck

Thread Information