Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Question Stereo Powers off and on by itself

I have been having a problem for the past few months with the stereo powering off then back on by itself. It seems to do this shortly after starting the car and driving for a couple minutes. Once I have been driving for a few minutes the problem goes away. I also noticed that when the stereo powers off, the power windows stop working as well. So far that seems to be the only connection I can come up with. This is a 2000 Camaro SS convertible, originally had the Monsoon stereo. I since have replace all the stereo components thinking it may be a problem with the HU. The problem still exists. Any thoughts what to look for? Why would the stereo and windows be effected, but nothing else?

Black
    1995 Firebird

It could be something as simple as a loose wire. There are a lot of things that can be causing this. Check your fuses, make sure that one is not loose or going bad. I had a similar problem, and it turned out that one of the fuses had tried to blow, but was still partially together. I replaced this fuse and all was well. Does the problem correspond with hitting bumps or anything like that?

Black
    99 Z28

it's not a problem with the stereo. It's more of a problem with the accessory feed.

Unfortunately, that's will probably be difficult trace.

It could be at the fuse or in the steering column wire harness. I'd start with the fuse and drive for a few days and see what happens. After that, well... good luck.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks for the replies. I did check the fuses a while back. I will try replacing them as well, but it seems unlikely to be that since the windows are on a different fuse then the radio. Most likely as DrMilhouse stated, it is probably something in the steering column harness. As for the bumps question, it doesn't seem to occurr any more when hitting bumps. I have noticed though, now that it is cold here, that it seems to occur more often and happens just as the engine is warming up to around 175 degrees.

Black
    99 Z28

They're not on the same circuit, but (if I recall correctly) they're both fed from the ACC wire from the steering column ignition harness. If it's not that, it could also be the module (where ever it is) that controls the delayed shut down for the windows and radio that keeps them going even after you turn the car off and take out the key - until you open the door.

redls1bird
    dont forget that the stereo is a sensitive piece of electronics. anything less then a solid 12.5 volts can create alot of problems. what does your voltage gauge read when this problem happens? if its dropping low it could mean not enough output from the alt. that was my first clue my alternator was going out on my bmw...

Thread Information