Black
    2002 WS6

Angry Steering wheel controls

I have a 2002 WS6:

Both steering wheels controls stopped working. First they started cutting out and at times wouldn't work at all then finally they quit working altogether. I figured the switches were bad and purchased replacement switches. I installed the new switches today (8-2-08). However, the new switches do not work either. None of the buttons on the new switches work, nothing, nada.....................

I pulled the airbag and all the wiring under the bag looks fine. I pulled the radio and the connector on the radio all looks fine. I checked all the fuses and none are blown.

What am I missing or any suggestions on what is wrong? I can't figure out how they went from working some times to not working at all and now the newely installed switches don't function at all.

I thinking the problem is in the wiring or within the monsoon radio. Is there another connector under the dash or around the steering colom I need to check.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

it sounds like a ground isue to me that is what i would look at. track your ground wire and see if it is broke or not on at all. you can run a riged one to test it also.if thats not it i would look at the harns at the colime and that could do it.but when that kind of stuff is goffy like that the ground is it most of the time.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I had a similiar problem a few years back. Mine ended up being a SIR coil (I think that is what it was called). It is similiar to an electrical rotary union. It connects the steering wheel controls to the stereo. The coil is behind the airbag. This could be your problem. It is a pain to troubleshoot. Mine problem started with the controls not working all the time. Then the controls stopped working all together, even the lights stopped lighting up in the buttons. Once I replaced it, I haven't had a problem since.

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TrikstarK5 View Post
    I had a similiar problem a few years back. Mine ended up being a SIR coil (I think that is what it was called). It is similiar to an electrical rotary union. It connects the steering wheel controls to the stereo. The coil is behind the airbag. This could be your problem. It is a pain to troubleshoot. Mine problem started with the controls not working all the time. Then the controls stopped working all together, even the lights stopped lighting up in the buttons. Once I replaced it, I haven't had a problem since.
    What does the SIR coil look like and where exactly is it?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

It is located behind the steering wheel. It is a round plastic container with some wires running out of it. If you follow the wires that run from the steering wheel controls, you will find the SIR coil. It is designed to allow you to turning the steering wheel without losing the control functions.

Thread Information