silver
    2002 Mustang GT

steering wheel controls

do all maro's and TA's have radio controls on the steering wheel. if so what years/mod. offer this? thanks

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

2000 and newer camaros are the only years offered for them. I think 93 and newer they were offered for the firebirds.

02z28
    Just a reminder for the guys that do have the steering wheel controls, if you replace the factory radio you will lose steering wheel controls. However for most vehicles, an adapter for like 70 bucks is available.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28
    Just a reminder for the guys that do have the steering wheel controls, if you replace the factory radio you will lose steering wheel controls. However for most vehicles, an adapter for like 70 bucks is available.
    Yeah, the PAC-IX adapter. Doesn't work in my 01 Z28 for some reason though.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I've heard some guys say that it will still work, but I would really hate to lose mine. I do like it, but if you are playing and got some bad ass music going your liable to change the station. THat is the only part that sucks.

Those aftermarket steering wheel control adapters are a PITA to install.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog
    Who hooked it up and what is it doing or not doing?

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse
    Who hooked it up and what is it doing or not doing?
    I installed it. I bought an Alpine CDA-9833 w/ remote. I connected the green SWI-X wire to the Dark Blue in pin 13 (or 14, don't remember.) I know it's the correct wire, because I had to cut it, and afterwards I tested the whether or not the steering wheel controls worked with the stock radio without this wire connected (they did not) and again with the wire reconnected (they did).

I programmed it for the correct version (version 1) and tried to program my first steering wheel button. I would hold down the steering wheel button until the left LED went off, but the right LED would never come on to indicate it had recognized the steering wheel button and was waiting for a command from the remote. The damn thing just times out everytime. Maybe I got a bad unit. Waste of $45.
    Last edited by Thewilldog; 11-07-2005 at 04:36 AM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by slayer6x6
    Those aftermarket steering wheel control adapters are a PITA to install.
    I totally disagree with this statement. The PAC SWI-X only has 3 wires to connect and the mounting of the infrared LED. It couldn't be much simpler than that. Here's how my LED is mounted. Before I got the custom trim ring it was mounted below the HU in the Metra install kit I was using at the time. The LED actually works better in this location than it did when I had it in the cup holer facing toward the HU. The SWI-X control box is wrapped in a piece of carpet and tucked in the dash under the HU. Programming the unit was a piece of cake too.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I have a PAC swi-x was a simple couple minute install. Only thing that was time consuming was finding a good place to mount the LED(ended up putting it above my HU facing down). Also when programing the SWi-x you have to do it fairly quick or it will finish and you need to start over. Just did the same thing in my other car and mounted the LED below the HU, is pretty simple to do.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog
    Was just thinking of this and thought I'd let you know. The PAC SWi-x does work and will on your car. I bought a pac-swi-x to do my other car and tried everything and didn't work. Emailed PAC, they said may be defective unit, took it back and new one worked the first time. If it isn't defective, make sure you read the manual very good and don't skip anything, setting # for type of car etc...PAC website also has a walk through PAC programming for Dummies. I think they have a new PAC SWI-ALP which is supposed to plug in the back of newer, JVC, Kenwood and Alpine wired remote inputs, but unsure if it works with the FBody. If it does it would be as simple and hooking up a + and - and plugging it into the stereo which would be really easy and probably have to set the PAC for type of car and brand of HU. Also when I first hooked up the SWI-x in my Camaro I connected the wrong wire for the steering wheel controls and was going nuts trying to figure out the problem, but there are 2 blue wires, 1 is for the steering wheel remote and the other is for the back speaker.

Also for those who are interested, Soundgate makes a interface)remote3) to retain steering wheels controls for the Camaro, but price is around $95
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-06-2005 at 06:51 PM.

silver
    2000 WS6

I just installed the ECLIPSE AVN2454 6.5" screen in my dash and list my steering wheel controls. Can i get them back and still have my remote for my TV DVD and navigation work?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Do a search for PAC SWI-X

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    Was just thinking of this and thought I'd let you know. The PAC SWi-x does work and will on your car. I bought a pac-swi-x to do my other car and tried everything and didn't work. Emailed PAC, they said may be defective unit, took it back and new one worked the first time. If it isn't defective, make sure you read the manual very good and don't skip anything, setting # for type of car etc...PAC website also has a walk through PAC programming for Dummies. I think they have a new PAC SWI-ALP which is supposed to plug in the back of newer, JVC, Kenwood and Alpine wired remote inputs, but unsure if it works with the FBody. If it does it would be as simple and hooking up a + and - and plugging it into the stereo which would be really easy and probably have to set the PAC for type of car and brand of HU. Also when I first hooked up the SWI-x in my Camaro I connected the wrong wire for the steering wheel controls and was going nuts trying to figure out the problem, but there are 2 blue wires, 1 is for the steering wheel remote and the other is for the back speaker.

Also for those who are interested, Soundgate makes a interface)remote3) to retain steering wheels controls for the Camaro, but price is around $95
    Yeah, I know it should work. Prior to the big crash here, I had a thread going with another person who had the exact same stereo as me in a Camaro and got his adapter to work. I bought my adapter online, so I don't know if PAC would help me or not. I know it's wired correctly, it just won't accept inputs from the steering wheel.

Oh well. I've just been using the stereo remote, and I don't miss the steering wheel buttons anymore.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

WhiteRascal, Where did you get the custom trim piece from? It looks stock, like it was made for the 1.0 DIN HU.

Thread Information