Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Square grill ? WTF?

My front speakers are blown, I pried off the grills, which I know see was a really bad idea. THe little dinky square hole seems like it blocks off half the dang speaker. This is so screwed up, along with all of the fubarred monsoon wiring and gm wonders why they are so jacked up now. Was this stuff designed by complete idiots or what?

I mean how can you have the marvelously engineered LS1 engine and then put it in a car where some of the basics like the car stereo was apparently designed by a bunch of drunken monkeys?

Anyways, I put the kappa 62.7i's in and they sound great. I think i am going to cut a circle in the door panel, mount the door panel back on the door, and then basically put the speaker and the silver infinity enclosure that it comes with into the whole and screw it down tight. Has anyone thought about or done this before? I can already see that I will have a bit of a gap on the bottom, but what the heck i might as well try it.

Door panels need to come off to replace the speakers...guess you know now. Blew a stock door speaker a while ago and replaced it with a stock unit, 3 bolts and just plugged it in.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

kappa

I was wanting to mount them so that the speaker part is outside/ flush with the door. So that the sound is not muffled by being inside of the door with only that little square hole to put the sound out of. But i will have to cut out part of the door panel so that i can get the top 2 screws in and have the speaker sit down in the door.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jpick1353 View Post
    My front speakers are blown, I pried off the grills, which I know see was a really bad idea. THe little dinky square hole seems like it blocks off half the dang speaker. This is so screwed up, along with all of the fubarred monsoon wiring and gm wonders why they are so jacked up now. Was this stuff designed by complete idiots or what?

I mean how can you have the marvelously engineered LS1 engine and then put it in a car where some of the basics like the car stereo was apparently designed by a bunch of drunken monkeys?

Anyways, I put the kappa 62.7i's in and they sound great. I think i am going to cut a circle in the door panel, mount the door panel back on the door, and then basically put the speaker and the silver infinity enclosure that it comes with into the whole and screw it down tight. Has anyone thought about or done this before? I can already see that I will have a bit of a gap on the bottom, but what the heck i might as well try it.
    I pried off the grills, which I know see was a really bad idea...... who is the drunken monkey ? look in the mirror idiot

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I just used my dremel and rounded out a circle in the door panel. I put the kappas in with the silver bezel and cover. They sound 10 times better now.

Thread Information