Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speakers sound messed up

Just bought the car all the speakers sound messed up, what are the sizes on them. I think i might just take it up to an audio place and have them replace all the speakers, you know its getting to be summer time and you have to make everyone at the stoplights listen to what your listening to with your t-tops off

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

whatever you do...please don't just take it to a shop -- research and learn and you will save a TON of money.. you MUST know a friend/relative that can help ya out...if not, that's what we're here for

First off - what make/year is your car? How many speakers/do you have the monsoon system? Most sizes are 6.5"S (6.5" or 6.75" "oversized" will fit), but there are some complications when dealing with the Monsoon system (though nearly any speaker can be used as a replacement, you will need to to know how to use it).

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    whatever you do...please don't just take it to a shop -- research and learn and you will save a TON of money.. you MUST know a friend/relative that can help ya out...if not, that's what we're here for

First off - what make/year is your car? How many speakers/do you have the monsoon system? Most sizes are 6.5"S (6.5" or 6.75" "oversized" will fit), but there are some complications when dealing with the Monsoon system (though nearly any speaker can be used as a replacement, you will need to to know how to use it).
    im pretty sure i dont have the monsoon system, i think i have 6 total to in the front 2 in the back seats and 2 lining the hatch. its a 99 Z28

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Sounds to me like you DO have the Monsoon system. The Monsoon amp is located near the spare tire, but further up behind a panel of sheet metal.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The POS Monsoon amp is mounted to a plastic plate above the rear wheel on the passenger side and is on the fender side of the plastic plate.

Ok so how do i change the speakers without messing up the systme

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

When a shop works on the car, any damage they might do to the car is typically protected. Pulling the inside panels off the doors in these cars is a pain to do and I'd actually rather not do it myself when I install my MB Quarts.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

the Monsoon speakers are 2ohm (surprised no one told you that yet). i replaced my door speakers with Infinity Kappa 72i's. they are a direct 2ohm replacement speaker.

if you choose to go aftermarket, i will let other chime in there, since i decided to keep the monsoon. good luck!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

If you have the Monsoon system it will read so on the display on your deck.

Quote Originally Posted by coupe00 View Post
    im pretty sure i dont have the monsoon system, i think i have 6 total to in the front 2 in the back seats and 2 lining the hatch. its a 99 Z28

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    OK.........he HAS the Monsoon system - and I have never seen one where it is displayed on the deck.... every deck, Monsoon or no Monsoon is the exact same. There is nothing special about it, and no such thing as a Monsoon deck -- all the decks are the same Delco units. Monsoon (amp) refers to the extra amp setup.

aftermarket deck came with it.

I know that the drivers side door speaker is blown and i want to replace both front door speakers,
    now what about the sub speakers? and how do these sound? I was thinking of getting 2 12's too. and what about the rear speakers?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by coupe00 View Post
    aftermarket deck came with it.

I know that the drivers side door speaker is blown and i want to replace both front door speakers,
    now what about the sub speakers? and how do these sound? I was thinking of getting 2 12's too. and what about the rear speakers?
    Anything will work for the fronts (modification for most), if you're getting 2 12's look for efficient midbass speakers in the sails, or full/midrange if you like. Ditch the hatch speakers entirely, especially if you go with full range speakers in the sails (keep in mind that the signal there isn't full range though so you would need to run wires from the HU or pull wires forward from the hatch). If you are getting 2 12's, there is no point in replacing the rear sails with mini-subs like the eu700s -- as they are more just that - SUBS. If you still want lower frequencies there, look for more efficient midbass drivers (CDT, etc).

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    the Monsoon speakers are 2ohm (surprised no one told you that yet). i replaced my door speakers with Infinity Kappa 72i's. they are a direct 2ohm replacement speaker.

if you choose to go aftermarket, i will let other chime in there, since i decided to keep the monsoon. good luck!
    These are, IMO, the easiest/fastest way to replace the fronts on the Camaro. Inifinity is typically bright though, so if you like a darker sounding speaker...stay away from these. Making these even brighter is the fact that the stock tweeters are of 4 ohm impedances while these are 2 ohms...so the speakers aren't only more efficient, but of a lower impedance which will have some effect on volume. The power though wouldn't be enough to do any damage to the speaker, and there haven't been any problems with the amp operating at 2 ohms for these tweeters. You have an aftermarket HU, so you can always run wires from that to any speaker you wish and get great results.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Look at the bottom left corner of the display screen. I have this exact same deck in my car.

OK.........he HAS the Monsoon system - and I have never seen one where it is displayed on the deck.... every deck, Monsoon or no Monsoon is the exact same. There is nothing special about it, and no such thing as a Monsoon deck -- all the decks are the same Delco units. Monsoon (amp) refers to the extra amp setup.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Look at the bottom left corner of the display screen. I have this exact same deck in my car.

Click for full size
    Thanks for posting that - I have never seen one that says "Monsoon" on it....only "Delco".....that's strange because it is a Delco HU (as they were all the same), but I guess they did put Monsoon stickers/print on the screen for some years. I was completely wrong about it saying Monsoon or not -- but it may not say Monsoon and you may still have a Monsoon setup.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'm not sure if they all say it but every 1997-'02 f-body I have seen that has the 8 speaker Monsoon system has read that on the display panel. I'm sure the HU itself is no different then the standard HU but they put that label on there to visually show folks that the car does have the Monsoon amp option installed.

Thanks for posting that - I have never seen one that says "Monsoon" on it....only "Delco".....that's strange because it is a Delco HU (as they were all the same), but I guess they did put Monsoon stickers/print on the screen for some years. I was completely wrong about it saying Monsoon or not -- but it may not say Monsoon and you may still have a Monsoon setup.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

I'm not sure if they all say it but every 1997-'02 f-body I have seen that has the 8 speaker Monsoon system has read that on the display panel. I'm sure the HU itself is no different then the standard HU but they put that label on there to visually show folks that the car does have the Monsoon amp option installed.
    Yea I know they don't all say it - most I've seen actually say the typical Delco Electronics.. That's all my '97 says, my brother's '98, and 2 other '98s I have seen that I remember personally.

But yea, HU is the same 1.5 DIN Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it.

EDIT: just found out that it is some of the earlier years that did not have a Monsoon label on the HU (which would make sense with the years I have seen).

Black
    98 Trans Am

Yea I know they don't all say it - most I've seen actually say the typical Delco Electronics.. That's all my '97 says, my brother's '98, and 2 other '98s I have seen that I remember personally.

But yea, HU is the same 1.5 DIN Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it.

EDIT: just found out that it is some of the earlier years that did not have a Monsoon label on the HU (which would make sense with the years I have seen).
    Hey Fred, my '98 'bird with the cd/radio has the "Monsoon" logo on it too...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by IronBird View Post
    Hey Fred, my '98 'bird with the cd/radio has the "Monsoon" logo on it too...
    I know - I meant most of the '97s and '98s, they weren't as consistent in putting the sticker on the HU in the earlier days. I'm not sure if any '97s had the sticker....? Who knows - I'm just saying if you don't have the sticker, it may still be the way it came from the factory.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

My factory deck said Monsoon on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information