tan
    2000 Camaro

Speaker wiring help

I originally had the monsoon system but blew out the front speakers and sail panel subs. I've replaced the HU, door speakers, and sail panel subs with aftermarket stuff. The problem is, i put coaxail speakers in the sail panels (where the factory subs used to be) and they are only playing bass frequencies. I would like them to function as a coaxial and not a sub. So, could i run new speaker wire from the speakers in the sail panels, directly to the new HU? Would that bypass the monsoon amp and get them to function properly? My aftermarket door speakers and factory rear hatch speakers are still wired to the monsoon amp and are running fine. Thanks for any help.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

yes, you would have to do that. They won't be nearly as loud as the front though, since the front and sails are powered from the monsoon amp. Do they 1 or 2 inputs [considering 1 input is a pair of + and - terminals]. B/c if they have 2 you could run the bass off the monsoon amp and tie the treble in to the rear deck so you'll have a very full range sound!

tan
    2000 Camaro

Thanks, thats a good idea but im not sure if there are 2 inputs (they are just cheap little 6.5 pioneer 4-way coaxails) but ill have to check that out. I definately dont need them playing only bass. I have a couple of 12's in the trunk for that :-). I just want them to function as a normal full range speaker.

So bascially im going to have the front door speakers and rear hatch speakers still being powered by the monsoon amp and the sail panel speakers running off the aftermarket HU' s power. Does this sound ok?
    Last edited by bdavies11; 06-18-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

you can cut the wires on your coaxials and power the tweeter/midrange off the headunit directly

just make sure you cut/splice in BEFORE the built-in crossover on your coaxials... or build a new one(better)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bdavies11
    So bascially im going to have the front door speakers and rear hatch speakers still being powered by the monsoon amp and the sail panel speakers running off the aftermarket HU' s power. Does this sound ok?
    rear hatch is powered from the HU to begin with, front and sails come from the monsoon, obviously the sails have a stock X-over in the amp that you'd have to by pass by giving up the use of the monsoon amp... you might want to look into a 4channel amp to power the highs then.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    rear hatch is powered from the HU to begin with, front and sails come from the monsoon, obviously the sails have a stock X-over in the amp that you'd have to by pass by giving up the use of the monsoon amp... you might want to look into a 4channel amp to power the highs then.

in that other thread, the guy verified that the monsoon amp actually powered all the speakers in the car, even the tweeters...

just like your diagrams show

Thread Information