Black
    2001 Z28

Speaker sounds crappy

I thought I was dealing with a blown door speaker, so I went out and bought some new Alpine 6 1/2s. I put the one in the passenger door last night and turned it on and it sounds the exact same??

It seems to be cutting in and out, as well as being very staticy, and crackles and just sounds blown? I had not even turned up the volume loud and it can handle way more than a factory monsoon amp can give it.

Anybody had this happen? Can the outputs on the factory head unit or Monsoon amp go bad and just screw with one side of the car only? The drivers side sounds fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

Brad
    Last edited by BradZ01; 08-12-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling error

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

I would check your connections again. Make sure that the wires are hooked very securely to the back of the new speaker, and that the tweeter/woofer wires aren't mixed up. I suppose there could also potentially be a bad connection to the amp or head unit. I don't think that a blown amp could screw up only one speaker in your car tho, the whole system would sound like garbage (or make no sound at all).

Also, are your new Alpine speakers 2-ohm or 4-ohm? I know the monsoons in camaros are set up for 2-ohm, and quality is not as good if you buy a 4-ohm speaker (by not as good, I mean not as "loud" because of less power getting to them). Just some food for thought, hope you get it figured out. I just finished replacing my blown door speakers over the weekend (picked up some Infinity 62.7is after doing some forum research on here).

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I had a loose connection on the plug to my headunit in my truck. It had the same symptoms you describe. I did have an aftermarket one and think it might have pulled the wire slightly. I would check your connections first and follow the wires to where they go through the door and make sure they aren't cut anywhere.

red
    2002 z/28

right or wrong?When i installed my new door speakers i found that there are 4 wires going to each speaker.the midrange output being 2 ohms and the tweeter portion being 2 ohms so when i installed the new speakers i seperated the tweeter wires on the back of the speaker and was able to maintain the factory impedence by keeping the 2 wires for the tweet and 2 wires for the mids

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    right or wrong?When i installed my new door speakers i found that there are 4 wires going to each speaker.the midrange output being 2 ohms and the tweeter portion being 2 ohms so when i installed the new speakers i seperated the tweeter wires on the back of the speaker and was able to maintain the factory impedence by keeping the 2 wires for the tweet and 2 wires for the mids
    true as the tweeter and woofer split the frequencies played

Black
    2001 Z28

That could be my problem. Best Buy said to put the two reds together and the two blacks together, and then attach the reds to the positive and the blacks to the negative. Sounds like I have a woofer and a tweeter both wired to a single connector on the speaker.

Thanks for the tip. I am gonna head back outside tonight and take a look.

Lesson learned--Note to self---Nextime check sound quality BEFORE you reassemble the door panel!!

Quote Originally Posted by BradZ01 View Post
    That could be my problem. Best Buy said to put the two reds together and the two blacks together, and then attach the reds to the positive and the blacks to the negative. Sounds like I have a woofer and a tweeter both wired to a single connector on the speaker.

Thanks for the tip. I am gonna head back outside tonight and take a look.

Lesson learned--Note to self---Nextime check sound quality BEFORE you reassemble the door panel!!
    do not do that I enter sound competions so if you have any questions feel free to ask right now the factory amps are trying to fight each other

red
    2002 z/28

its very important to make sure the tweet goes to the tweet and sub to sub

Black
    2001 Z28

Yea, I switched the wires and tested each way to figure out which were the tweet wires and which set were for the sub.. It sounds 100% better now. Thanks for the tips and advice!!

Thread Information