white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

speaker advice please

I just bought a 98 t/a with the monsoon 10 speaker system , and the speakers in the sail panels are gone. the speakers in the rear are gone but the tweeters are there and working. the door has speakers in it that look original and the tweeters are there but dont work. on the inside of the door panel there looks to be a little crossover of some type? going to the speaker and the tweeter. Is this crossover stock? I see the original monsoon amp where the spare tire goes. So would I be better off just putting original speakers back in, does the monsoon system sound good, I understand it was the best the factory put out. Or should I go aftermarket, I dont want to spend a ton of money and I am not into big BASS I just like a system that is clear and has a little hit to it. I am open to advice as I have never heard the stock monsoon system. Thanks for any advice or help.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

no one?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

From what I understand, the monsoon system is pretty much a pain. The sail panel speakers, you can't really find on the aftermarket. They are a mid-bass sub and cannot be replaced with regular speakers. I think there might be one aftermarket option available but it requires a little bit of fabrication to make it work. Most everyone I have talked to tells me just to take it all out and start over with a different system. I think the monsoon system sounds ok when all the speakers are working properly but from what I have read something will always break becuase of an underpowered amp or something on the monsoon system.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

maybe this will help. I think the diff is pontiac used a sperate tweeter in the front doors. I just read this and now I finally now what the extra wire harness in my door is for. I knew it was for a tweeter but couldn't figure it out. I don't have factory speakers so i was never sure what to do.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hlight=monsoon

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Just go with a whole new setup. You'll know exactly what's going in, and it'll sound 100 times better. Especially if you use components instead just coaxial speakers. Plus you won't (shouldn't) have to worry about anything being underpowered.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

And coming from someone that has done custom systems in each of my past cars; it sounds like the person before you did what i have done in the past--taken their aftermarket stuff out and quickly thrown the stock stuff back in to trade it. Your anxious to get your new car, and who cares how well the radio works when you trade it--not your problem--so you don't take time to go through the trouble to make it all work again. I know- sucks for the next guy--you. Having said all that, i think trying to figure out what all was done previously and repair the stock system would be more trouble than its worth. With your modest goals, you can replace your cd player with a powered one and replace the front door speakers with a reasonably priced component set that will fit in and look stock and put $100 6.5 coaxials in the sail panel holes. run your own speaker wires from the cd player outputs to new speakers; and if you want some 'hit' pick up one of the stealth 10" sub boxes and a small amp and be done. All of this could be done well for $1000 or less. Without the sub, 6-700 i would say. all wiring would be new, so no probs and a basically stock look. hope this helps! Please don't make the mistake of others and expect that if you just replace the stock speakers with aftermarkets and leave the amp and everything else the same that it will help anything! As stated above, the underpower will ruin any speaker no matter how expensive! and don't worry about the very back holes--in my opinion--also more trouble than their worth--full range in the sails works well for me.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

If you don't want to take the time and money to go with a completely new system there is company called Image Dynamics that makes 2 ohm 6.5" speakers. I've never tried them so I have no idea how good they sound but that may be an option.

Thread Information