Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sound deadening??

I love how my car sounds with everything it has done to it, but you have to yell to have a conversation while driving. Just curious to see what people are doing to deaden the sound in the cabin of the car.

2002 Black WS6 A4.
    FI, H/C, LT headers, full exhaust, Fast 90/90. MWC Fab 9". Subframe connectors,
    Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm Strano Springs & Sway Bars.
    Koni Yellows. FLT Stage VII trans w/ PAS3400
    ASC# 4619 Conversion date was Dec 3, 2001

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

full dynomat treatment will help. Doing the hatch area will help as well if you have aftermarket exhaust and it exits out the back.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

It exits out the back. Checked into dynomat but it's pretty costly. Anyone else?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was going to mention Dynomat also. It is probably the best and most proven sound deadening there is. It's been around a long time.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

there are cheaper but they suck if you try to do any top, or side mount installs(falls off). Spend the money and get a big sheet of it and do your spare tire area and the t top area all the way up the back to where the latch is and see if that helps. You could do that area for about 75 to 100 bucks I think if you plan it out right it may go a bit further. I have LT with off roar Y and an slp loud mouth so I know what your talking about lol. Try stuffing a huge bed spreed in the T top area and see if it helps. I have been meaning to try this to see how much it cuts down the noise. It should be close to dynomat. Sheet metal is thin back there and single layer (no pockets).

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

I used a simlar product to dynamat called b-quite Utimate, its even thicker than dynamat and far cheaper. For about $250 you can get 2 rolls of 50sq feet and do the complete interior of your car, floor, hatch, sides, doors and probably have some left over. If you only get 1 roll you will be sorry. It is heavier than Dynamat but I'm not one of those who is so concerned about weight.

pewter
    2000 camaro z28

there are several ways to dampen the car. it all depends on how far you wanna take it. dynomat is effective, and the other versions as well. there are several sprays that you can mix yourself from a 5 gallon bucket, and it works quite well. im not talking about aresol cans. this stuff is water mixable and it can be shot with a paint gun. works great on places dynomat wont stay or go.. if your interested, hit me up and ill give you an idea of what your looking at price wise and how to go about it. i reccomend matting the areas the guys listed below, then spraying the hard to reach areas. the more you spray the more it deadens, and its super lightweight.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Another product that my dad and I are using on his toys and eventually on my 'Bird is LizardSkin. It's a spray on product that you only have to lay on 1mm thick on the inside and/or outside. Supposed to be easy to apply, I'll let you know once we get that far!

http://www.lizardskin.com/
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Another product that my dad and I are using on his toys and eventually on my 'Bird is LizardSkin. It's a spray on product that you only have to lay on 1mm thick on the inside and/or outside. Supposed to be easy to apply, I'll let you know once we get that far!

http://www.lizardskin.com/
    this is what i was going to say. you can apply up to 3 coats if wanted. it comes with a special spry gun that kinda spits out the paint/ compound. i want to try it.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    this is what i was going to say. you can apply up to 3 coats if wanted. it comes with a special spry gun that kinda spits out the paint/ compound. i want to try it.
    A friend of my dad used it on his 20-something street rod and loved it. We've stripped the interior out and are replacing the floor in my dad's 55 and are going to coat the inside and underneath of the floor before we set the body back on the frame. Looked at doing the 'Bird when I redo the interior next summer (hopefully, if I don't have to replace the transmission!)

black
    1995 chevy truck

Cool dyno mat is worth it

It maybe expensive but it is worth it. I have on evey wall of my truck including doors except the roof don't have it up there. But it quites down road nosie and all so will make your sound system sound better and if you have a sub woofer it will make it hit harder.
    Ls1 powered 95 silverado
    Hooker headers 3" duels dynomax mufflers
    6 speed trans eaton possi
    150 shot nx rollen on
    20in boyd codditons

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    I love how my car sounds with everything it has done to it, but you have to yell to have a conversation while driving. Just curious to see what people are doing to deaden the sound in the cabin of the car.
    Wait till your rear end has got a foot in the door. Then we can talk cabin noise, lol.

As mentioned before, Dynamat is the most popular for a reason. They've been around for ever b/c they work the best. When I used to do alot installing, it was the only way to go.

However, I am very interested to see how these spray in ones work, b/c there has been so many times Dynamat was beotch install or nearly impossible. With it being cheaper and would probably take 1/4 of the time to do, this would be a great alternative.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

KMdef9 Not sure what you mean by "Wait till your rear end has got a foot in the door. Then we can talk cabin noise."

Anyways, car has been put in storage and will start on the project in the spring.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wait till your rear end has got a foot in the door. Then we can talk cabin noise, lol.

As mentioned before, Dynamat is the most popular for a reason. They've been around for ever b/c they work the best. When I used to do alot installing, it was the only way to go.

However, I am very interested to see how these spray in ones work, b/c there has been so many times Dynamat was beotch install or nearly impossible. With it being cheaper and would probably take 1/4 of the time to do, this would be a great alternative.
    The stuff I have seen used comes in a spray can and just sprays on like spray paint (much thicker though) and when it dries it becomes like a "rubber" material. People who do body work and paint cars use it.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Lizard Skin is probably what I'll use.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    KMdef9 Not sure what you mean by "Wait till your rear end has got a foot in the door. Then we can talk cabin noise."

Anyways, car has been put in storage and will start on the project in the spring.
    My rear is on it's way out, it whines so loud I have to yell at the passenger for them to hear me when above 50mph. I forget the technical terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The stuff I have seen used comes in a spray can and just sprays on like spray paint (much thicker though) and when it dries it becomes like a "rubber" material. People who do body work and paint cars use it.
    Does it end up looking like a spray in liner? Or smoother than that?

black
    1995 chevy truck

Cool better fix it

If your rear end is makeing that much noise. I would tear it down and fix it before it busts on you then you will be out a lot more money. Its warning u right now to fix me or I going to lay down on u. If it does you can look at about $1000 dollers worth of parts if u do it right possi and good gears and axels. But if u tear it down now you might get away with just bearings and new ring gear and pion. I waited to late for my diff and had to replace everything in it. I did do the work my self but if u don't have some one who knows how to set up your ring gear and pion it will make noise with new stuff in there and won't last long. My dad helped me we pulled my rear end compltely out because we could not get the rod out of the diff messed up bad. Got it done love my eaton and new richmond gears and superior axels. I have a stout 10 bolt. One day may have to a bigger rear end but untill I throw this one out I am not scared of any power that I can put trough it.
    Steve

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

i put dynamat in the entire rear hatch area, took 20sqft and made a HUGE difference, a lot less road noise and the speakers sound better
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    My rear is on it's way out, it whines so loud I have to yell at the passenger for them to hear me when above 50mph. I forget the technical terms.

Does it end up looking like a spray in liner? Or smoother than that?
    If I remember right (has been a while), once it dries it is like a spray in liner or a little "bumpy".

Thread Information