Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Sh**load of wires from previous owner

I have a shitload of wires in my car from the previous owner's system. Amp, sub, and power wires to the rear, but one thing I've found I do not know what it is. Behind the head-unit, there is a black box about 3x2 in. with a black wire on it, and two female plugs...anyone know what this is for???

Also, I am looking to invest in a system, and want to be able to have MP3 capability. I'm thinking of possibly getting a digital CD changer in the rear that can store MP3's in it's memory like this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Orj52AQ...0&I=113KHDC710 will i have to get an aftermarket head-unit, and will the stereo controls work with this???

Black
    99 Z28

the black box might be an RF modulator for a CD changer or it might be an input for a deck that used to be in the car. Where does the black wire on it go? Is that the only wire on it?

The after market head unit will work fine with the stereo controls on the steering wheel, ONLY IF you get a head unit with wireless remote and an adapter for them such as this one.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

havent torn out the dash that much yet...the black wire seems to be facing toward the hood, and the amp wires go from underneath the carpet and to the hatch (where i've recovered ALL the wires there. The amp power is directly to the battery (easy installation for me huh?) and looks ready to be set-up. Honestly, I like the appearance of the stock H-U compared to the aftermarket one's because it blends with the interior and doesnt look to ricey. If I ever do save for a head-unit, I'd prolly find a cheap MP3 & navi that isn't ugly looking. Anyone have any ideas?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Late response, but the box may be your rca outputs off the stock deck to use a amp for subs. The previous owner may have taken out the rca line running to the back because they can get expensive. If there is a + going to battery, remote turn on and - grounded somewhere close to the back then most likely it is a line out converter for the rca to run a amp. Look on it for anything that might tell us what it is...If you ever do decide to go aftermarket the mp3 Hu's are nice, can fit more songs on 1 cd than you can listen to in a day and would get confusing to me if I had to use a mp3 disc changer too. Even the stock disc changer was kinda a pain at times and finiky about cds it played. Keeping the stock CD is nice to keep the stock look and ease of use, but I like the sound quality much better with the Kenwood.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

thanks for the help...one of my friends took a look at it and said he thinks it's the remainder of wires someone had in for neons. I will be saving up for a system, but chances of me getting one soon doesn't seem too likely now as I am beginning to have motor problems....damn

Thread Information