Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

Running the amp power wire through the firewall...

Where is the best/easiest spot to run the power wire for an amp? On my 96 Z28, there was a hole about half way between the glove compartment and the floor board on the passenger side up against the wall. Does anyone know if the 98-02's have the same hole? Just asking before I start removing panels and carpet for nothing. Can anyone recommend another spot? I have a drill, but would like to try to use an existing hole if at all possible. Thanks!

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

What gauge power wire are you running? If it's a smaller gauge the best place I've found is up the hood and around the door. there's a small area you can place the wire and push it behind the panels so it can't be seen. I was to lazy to drill a hole this time.

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

It's a small guage. 8, i think. It's only a 250W amp.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by p_funk22 View Post
    Where is the best/easiest spot to run the power wire for an amp? On my 96 Z28, there was a hole about half way between the glove compartment and the floor board on the passenger side up against the wall. Does anyone know if the 98-02's have the same hole? Just asking before I start removing panels and carpet for nothing. Can anyone recommend another spot? I have a drill, but would like to try to use an existing hole if at all possible. Thanks!
    Yes there is a whole there on the 98-02's as well, thats were I ran my wire then under the carpet along the door panel behind the sailpanel into the trunk area.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

That's what I'm running behind the door/hood panels. I'll see if I can take some pics, if you want an easy place to run it

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

all you do is remove the pcm take out that boot and run your wire thru the exitsting hole and grommet,

best place by far

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    That's what I'm running behind the door/hood panels. I'll see if I can take some pics, if you want an easy place to run it
    Do you put it behind the weather stipping in the door? When I did it the other way, through that grommet on the passenger side, i just slit a hole in it and slid the cable through. Removing the pcm seems like it would make that route a lot easier, too.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Yeah, you just need to open it up a little so the wire fits nice

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

Ok, I tried to find that hole, but the floor of my car is coated with some kind of sticky rubber crap and when I peeled it back, there was more crap, so I just said fuck it and did it Sas's way. I went up the fender and through a hole between the cowl and the fender, behind the weather stripping and down behind the panelling on the side of my glove compartment and under the carpet all the way to where my spare is. That's where I ran out of wire. So I'm going to get a fuse and another 3 feet of wire and i'll be all set. Thanks for the advice guys. Also, Sas, you were right, i can only see about a 3/4 inch piece of wire from the weather stripping to the panelling, so it's very clean.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I learned about that little gap with my first TA and it saves a lot of hassle routing it that way.

Impounded

Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

Yeah, it only took about 30 minutes to route it that way. that's including trying the other way first.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I agree with ComaroJunky remove your PCM and mak a little slit in the boot and fish your wire through, run it under your carpet, under your rear seats and however you want to finish her off. Also I recommend running you RCA cables on the other side because of the static your power cable will give off.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

okay im no stereo wiz by any means but even if your power cable is shielded , i bought this 90 dollar kicker wiring kit and it said it was shielded i guess kinda like spark plug wires,

in any case what would it cause if it wasnt shielded, static?

because for me when i ran my rca cables for my subs all i did was splice into the rear hatch speakers and i had all my cables back there and my other black box thing that you need to make speaker wire into rca cables, maybe doing this i didnt get full output! i dunno anybody out there got any good knowledge you can pass along to me, about stereos, Thanks

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    okay im no stereo wiz by any means but even if your power cable is shielded , i bought this 90 dollar kicker wiring kit and it said it was shielded i guess kinda like spark plug wires,

in any case what would it cause if it wasnt shielded, static?

because for me when i ran my rca cables for my subs all i did was splice into the rear hatch speakers and i had all my cables back there and my other black box thing that you need to make speaker wire into rca cables, maybe doing this i didnt get full output! i dunno anybody out there got any good knowledge you can pass along to me, about stereos, Thanks
    I def. dont know what you did with your RCA cables but essentially your RCA's are connected directly to the back of your deck/cd player then ran on the opposite side of your power wire so that you dont pick up static and engine noise, and they are ran directly into your amp. Thats your RCA cables you never mentioned if you have the factory deck or not which would make a difference? Also you can not buy RCA cables un shielded nor can you buy any stereo cables unshielded as there would be no protection against the wiring inside. The only time you can get wire unsheilded any more is through and electrical supply store or something like a home depot which is expensive and dumb to use for a car stereo. I def. know im not a genious when it comes to car stereos but have hooked up a few in f-bodies if you have any other questions let me know.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah i have a factory unit, and instead of splicing into the rear of the deck i spliced into the speakers in the back and hooked up my rca cables to them thru this black converter box.

Navy Blue Metallic

I would ditch the converter and reun them to your head unit, your probably losing alot of output. Also your speakers are divided; for example a 60wattx4channels puts out 15 watts of power to each channel or speaker, and it differs on wattage from the rca outlets on the deck but its more and better quality.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I would run the wires straight to your deck as well, your losing wattage running it through a splitter like that. Depending on the splitter, you might be losing 40% of your wattage. I used to install stereo's for Soundtrack and Best Buy, let me know if you have any questions.

I just looked back and saw your running that to a factory deck... why? lol
    You can get some decent MP3 players with pre-outs on the back for around $100 right now, you might look into upgrading

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah i have one question, when can you fly to so cal to help me install this lol,

and as for not having a different head unit, is i love the look of stock, i think an aftermarket looks like shit, i cant stand at looking at some stupid bracket that is half ass cut and put into place, lol i hate it i hate it i hate it,

i sound like a twelve year old girl

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Lol, if you mount it right, it doesn't look bad at all, using an aftermarket headunit. If you want to put a nice system in, your going to have to kill the factory deck, to take advantage of all the extras for tuning and clean power.

Navy Blue Metallic

Agreed, that head unit just doesn't cut it, also I hated the orange/red display, makes me feel like I'm in a grand prix or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information