midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Replacing the radio

Since my lights on the radio quit working, I was debating on switchin out my radio with a cheap pioneer or something similar to that.

The guy at the store was claiming something about the way the monsoon system is wired up that you can't just replace the radio without rewiring all the speakers or something like that.

No idea if he was talking out his ass or not. I'm sure a large percentage of you hear have aftermarket head units.... Did you have any issues installing a new radio?

I now found out I can take radio apart and replace the bulbs so no idea on what I am gonna do.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I believe he is correct. The Monsoon amp and stock dual voice coil speakers will not interface with an aftermarket headunit from what I have read.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Mine works I am 97 though and I just replaced the headunit and use the stock amp.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I may be mistaken -- could be the speaker issue that I am thinking of. I just checked Crutchfield and they show an interface harness to install aftermarket head units in Monsoon equipped F-bodies. Maybe not as difficult as I thought. Other than the lights, any other problems with your stock head unit?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

yea... I uh... lol just made that mistake even though I had already known of it but the speakers are 2 ohm and need to be replaced with 2 ohm speakers for the front doors. the back hatch full range speakers are 4 ohm. freakin retarded but what ever. The head unit can be replaced with what ever will fit and wire up. The amp takes 4ohm in and makes the change internally. Mine was fine but the front speakers were shot and I ended up with a pair of polk 4 ohm speakers for 30 bucks so as I started to install them I realized DUH they will have no volume and sound like crap. Luckily I have a kx350.4 amp laying around that I am going to wire up and another set of polk full range speakers that are already in the sails running off the hatch channel to go with my stealth sub and mono amp already installed. Just need to but new gage power wire, sub thump amp rack and some rca's to get it all working. As soon as it is done I will be selling the factory amp if anyone needs one.

Thread Information