Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Replacing HU, Speakers, some advice.

So I am in an 01 z28 Convertible with monsoon system. 3 of my 4 speakers have finally blown and most of the lights are out on my display. I was happy with the sound of my monsoon system because I'm hardly an audiophile. So Ive been doing a lot of resarch on here and I think I have a pretty good idea what I need to do. I am going to get a new head unit and replace all 4 speakers. So I need a head unit with a romote control, the pac unit to keep steering wheel controls. Trim kit, a wiring harness adaptor, an antenna adaptor, and speakers. My question is about the speakers. I understand that the monsoon system uses 2 ohm speakers. Since I am replacing the Head Unit do I still need to use 2 ohm speakers or can I use 4? Don't know if speaker resistance is determined by the am ( which I will still be using the monsoon amp) or the head unit. Also anyone ever taken the sail panel speakers out in a convertible? I was trying to figure out how to get them. Do you have to take the back seats out? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Rabbit; 04-24-2009 at 11:13 PM.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

My advice: you have a pretty good plan there--but why continue to use the monsoon amp? I believe you will get better sound by using the amp in your new HU--I really hated the monsoon amp. You will loose the sail panel speakers though--they are the 2 ohm bass speakers. You could of course do both--use the HU to power four full range speakers (front and hatch) by wiring the directly to front and rear outputs of new HU and send signal to monsoon amp to power those sail speakers. That should sound great to you if you were happy with monsoon system. You're spending money to buy new HU, might as well take advantage of amp included with it. It will also prolly include high pass filters and other things to allow you to get the cleanest sound out of the four full range channels.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Dont have hatch speakers, Is a vert. Thanks for help tho. Rewiring may be a better plan but just a lot of work. Never done anything like that before. I may be able to figure it out but if I could get it sounding as good as before with little work I'll be happy
    2001 Navy Blue Metallic Z28 Convertible.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Well..either way then. The wiring really isn't difficult--don't let it intimidate you! Exactly the same as running speaker wire in your house--just a little more cumbersome because you're working under the dash and under carpet..like anything else in the car--take your time and you will get it done and be satisfied with work you did yourself. if you choose to simply use the adapter to use the monsoon amp like stock, you will prolly ruin another set of speakers though--it is the lack of power that ends up burning up speakers at high volume; not the speaker's inability to handle the power that little monsoon amp is producing

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The rear speakers are really easy. You just need a torx bit to remove the bolt for the latch on the rear seats. Then it is about 2 phillips screws and they come right off. Just be careful of which speakers you choose here because if they are too deep they will hit the top mechanism when it is down. Running wires will not be that hard at all especially if you are doing the other things yourself.

Thread Information