Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend New Speakers for Behind Doors?

First time complaining about the audio. A speaker blew out. I don't know why - I never cranked up the volume by anyone's standards. I'm not sure if they are Monsoon speakers. The CD player and main audio probably are Pioneer. (Somebody wiser than me sold me the Trans Am.) I saw a list of brands here, not sure how much they would cost. Do you think I could get something good for between $150 and $200, something that might be a selling point? Should I try to match it with whatever the current system is? Also, if I can get a deal online, are there any major retailers who would install the speakers for me?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

The monsoon's are 2Ohm systems and the kids at install shops are clueless on how to work with them. That being said, grab yourself a set of Infinity 62.7i's off ebay or anywhere and review the sticky's at the top of this forum to see how to pull the door apart yourself and install. Drink a beer while your at it to relieve the frustration!

I don't drink. (Seriously, never have had a beer. Gotta be an atypical Bird owner.) I think I would enjoy installation even less. Uh, I guess that Geek Squad is out, seeing that Best Buy doesn't seem to carry the right speakers. Would the dealer know how to install non-GM speakers?

2 ohms needed, huh? I was already honing in on Infinity, the Reference series, which seems a little better. (Edit: I think I'm wrong and that the Kappas are better.) It's probably between that and the upgraded GM/Monsoon speakers, although I still need to actually make sure that the car's speakers and most other parts are stock. 200 watts max for the speakers would be enough? Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 11-17-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Artic White
    2002 Z28

The "upgraded" monsoon speakers are no better than the original. And to pay the dealer to install them would be a SUPER waste of money. The door panels literally take 5 min to get off. And swapping the speakers is very easy. Unpluging the harness and either splicing wires or swapping the plug to the new speakers.

I'm sure I could get the panels off. Get them back on? Splice wires? If special tools are needed, might as well have a repair place do it and fix some unrelated car problems. Is it true that the Monsoon speakers are component speakers?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

No kidding. I don't understand why anyone would replace the factory speakers with factory speakers. They're not very good quality, period.

Quote Originally Posted by homerunhtr21 View Post
    The "upgraded" monsoon speakers are no better than the original. And to pay the dealer to install them would be a SUPER waste of money. The door panels literally take 5 min to get off. And swapping the speakers is very easy. Unpluging the harness and either splicing wires or swapping the plug to the new speakers.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

First thing to check is to see if you have the monsoon. You can look up the rpo codes in the glove box to see. Do you have a t/a or a camaro?

It's a Trans Am. Now I am leaning toward Infinity speakers. I still need to know if component speakers are the natural fit. The unit up front is the crappy original, with a controller for a CD player in the back, which makes me believe the basic Monsoon system is still there. Unless there's something I can find in the hatch or the previous owner tells all.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Yeah probably all the stock monsoon is there. You can put regular components in the front but your midrange is a 2 ohm. If you put a 4 ohm speaker there you will lose a little power. If the tweeter is still fine you can put a 2 ohm 6 1/2 in and be fine.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    It's a Trans Am. Now I am leaning toward Infinity speakers. I still need to know if component speakers are the natural fit. The unit up front is the crappy original, with a controller for a CD player in the back, which makes me believe the basic Monsoon system is still there. Unless there's something I can find in the hatch or the previous owner tells all.
    If you're talking about the speakers in the door, I think any speaker with a separate tweeter will work. I have a Camaro, so it is set up different. Although, still separate wires to the tweeter, but one speaker mount.

From the title of the thread, I thought you were talking about the sail panel subs...

Where in CA are you?

Near the stars

I think it is the panel subwoofer. The bass is what's off. As far as what to get, that changes everything?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    Near the stars

I think it is the panel subwoofer. The bass is what's off. As far as what to get, that changes everything?
    That's where we work

If you were closer to Santa Clarita, I'd say go to SoundMan. They do nothing but car stereos. But, I'm sure there is someone out your way that does also.

It does change everything. I may be wrong, but I think that the only replacement subs that would be plug and play are the stock subs.

There are the Elemental Designs and the Kickers though. I have the Kickers but need to have them put in for me. I'm not into messing with it myself. I'm just dragging my butt on getting it done
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 11-18-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling :p

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Check this out for the elemental speakers. http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdispl...er=desc&page=2

I do not normally notice details, but the sound system is like surround sound - you don't notice the individual speakers. Or maybe I'm just making excuses for not noticing those panels contain only subwoofers. I usually think of subs as boxes.... What size subwoofers will fit? Do they have to be the "shallow" type? Are Infinity Kappa subwoofers any good? I found no evidence of other aftermarket audio parts in the hatch, not that I know how to lift up the panels.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

They are 6.5" subs in the sail panels. The hatch should have 4" speakers under the covers. I think they just snap off.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

You don't need to take off the whole panel. Just the plastic grate over the speakers. Just stick your fingernail under and gently lift out the tabs for the middle and rear speakers.

I do know you need a shallow sub for the sails. Not a whole lot of room in there. I don't know anything about the Kappa subs. Haven't run across anyone using them in our cars that I remember

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I had the MB Quarts that are in the doors on my Camaro now, in the sail panels of my previous Camaro. We had crammed the crossover boxes back inside the walls too.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    You don't need to take off the whole panel. Just the plastic grate over the speakers. Just stick your fingernail under and gently lift out the tabs for the middle and rear speakers.

I do know you need a shallow sub for the sails. Not a whole lot of room in there. I don't know anything about the Kappa subs. Haven't run across anyone using them in our cars that I remember
    As long as you don't go over 3.25" in mounting depth you can mount what you want in the Sails.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    As long as you don't go over 3.25" in mounting depth you can mount what you want in the Sails.
    Are you talking about taking the rear speaker wires and rerouting them in the sails?

I think he's talking about replacing the subs only. There aren't a whole lot of 6.5 sub options that I know of. But, I mostly get my info here and at Tech

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm talking about the subs in the Sail panels, not the useless(IMO) hatch speakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information