1999 C5 Hardtop

radio electrical short......?

I need some help here.... I was pulling out an aftermarket headunit that a friend had in a 96 ss and like an idiot i didnt detach the aftermarket harness while i was pulling it. long story short the power wire ground on something and there was a little spark. the stock headunit gets light (so i know the illumination part of the harness is fine) after i plugged it in but he says the radio doesnt work and that the trunk wont pop when using the key fob. I checked the radio and accessory fuses and they looked fine. anybody have any clue what this could be? is there a secondary relay that runs these two components? any help would be great....
    Last edited by ss#2420; 07-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Could be a relay, I would also double check the ground wire that was involved in the "spark." more often than not I gets damaged when a wire is shorted, but the relay is an easier placeto start.

1999 C5 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Could be a relay, I would also double check the ground wire that was involved in the "spark." more often than not I gets damaged when a wire is shorted, but the relay is an easier placeto start.
    Which relay controls both the stereo and the truck popping control on the key fob? I would have assumed they would be on completely separate relays or fuses. Is the relay you are talking about located by the passenger kick panel?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss#2420 View Post
    Which relay controls both the stereo and the truck popping control on the key fob? I would have assumed they would be on completely separate relays or fuses. Is the relay you are talking about located by the passenger kick panel?
    I'm not sure excatley which relay it would be, but most of the time (when it comes to smaller electrical components), 1 relay controls an assortment of devices. So, more components would be out than just those 2 things if a relay went out, now that I think about it.

I just looked up in my manual, don't know if yours is the same, but it says:

Fuse = PWR ACCY = Parking Lamp Relay, Hatch Release Relay, Power Mirror Switch, Radio, Shock Sensor, Instrument Cluster

I would suggest double checking both sides of the fuse connections to make power is coming in and going out. You can simply use a test light if you have one.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If it's not the ground then it's the BCM. That thing is a PITA

Thread Information