Justin_98TA

Put wrong speakers in doors (i think)

I just recently put some Ample audio 6.5" component speakers in my doors (ive got the monsoon system with the amp and 10 speakers). I realized after i put the speakers in that the woofers are 4 ohm. I am wondering whats going to go wrong being there is a 2 ohm load going to them. Could any of you inform me of what problems i might run into? Is the speaker going to be destroyed or what is possibly going to happen? Thanks for your help- Justin

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

There is no such thing as a 2ohm load going to a speaker. Power comes from the amplifier and goes to the speaker which is the load.

Since your new speakers are 4ohms instead of 2ohms your stereo will only deliver half the power it would normally create for a 2ohm load. Higher impedance means less current flow which translates to less power. Nothing will go "wrong" just because the speakers have a higher impedance. But since the POS Monsoon HU and amp produce so much distortion your new speakers are just as likely to blow as the factory speakers were.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

How do they sound? 2ohm or 4ohm, it will not hurt anything, if they are efficient speakers they could sound good. I went with the 2ohm 62.7i's, only because I wanted as much out of the stock amp as possible. There are a lot of people that have used 4ohm speakers with good results. Up until lately there were really no 2ohm speakers out, so Alpines were the choice, now with the Infinity Kappa series 2ohm is available.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Let me ask you guys this though-I'm no stereo expert here-but I know that electricity follows the path of least resistance.If you have the rest of the system with 2 ohm speakers and then put in two 4 ohm speakers -theoretically wouldn't the amplifier want to put the most power through the 2 ohm least resistance speakers.I realize the 4 ohms may be more efficient and therefore make more sound with less power -just kind of thinking out loud here..........

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

There's no theory to it. If you cut the impedance in half the amp will deliver twice as much current. Providing that it is capable of delivering the higher amounts of current. Most high quality amps can double their output power when the load is cut in half. Some of your el-cheapo amps can only deliver a few extra watts when the load is halved.

Justin_98TA
    Acctually they sound pretty good. Now, i can hear some fuzz in the speakers when i turn the volume up in like a break between two songs playing. Im guessing thats some of the distortion that the amp makes? Also if i play it too loud, i can hear some distortion in the speakers, but then again, thats almost wide open volume on the stock amp. Other than that, they sound great to me. In fact, the stereo in my car is one of the best stock stereos ive ever heard. I know everyone says that they are really crappy and distort and blow speakers, but i disagree. I really like the system. I put about a $750 stereo system in my buick park avenue and the system in my TA sounds twice as good. I believe this is because theres a lot more room for the sound to travel in the buick, (being a big body 4-door), and the TA being more of a compact music listening space for all of the sound coming from the 10 speakers to fill. IMO, it could always be louder, and a more full sound, (maybe a sub would help), but as of now, being stock, i really like it. Of course this is just my $0.02. Thanks for all your help and thanks for setting me straight on the load definition Rascal. I appreciate it. -Justin

Red
    1998 Camaro z28 Convertib

Rascal is everywhere!!!

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Did you put coaxial speakers in the doors if so i am pretty sure those speakers are crossed over high and low for a mid range effect and your tweeters are doing nothing.

Thread Information