black
    1979 trans am

power antenna wont go down

my power attena wont go down. When you start the car you hear the motor go the would push it up and down but the antenna stays up. Is there a fix for this or do i need a new one? Are there any short antennas that work without modifacation or very little?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Once they are broke they are broke.

Unplug the electrical connector to keep things quiet until you decide what to do(fixed mast or universal electric)

black
    1979 trans am

it goes down sometimes, if i get it to go down and unplug it will my radio signal turn to static? if it doesnt get static ill leave it i hate the way it looks up

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

there is a plastic cable that pulls it in. trun the stereo off, so it will get sucked in, and push the antenna down. then disconnect the electrical connector, then it wont move anymore. you will need to remove your spare tire to get at it.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by K_garretson23 View Post
    my power attena wont go down. When you start the car you hear the motor go the would push it up and down but the antenna stays up. Is there a fix for this or do i need a new one? Are there any short antennas that work without modifacation or very little?
    i had a similar problem (in my case it would only go part-way down)... i took the antenna/motor assy out of the car (don't worry, it's easy to get out, just take the spare tire out, and there's like one bolt holding the anntenna/motor assy to the quarter panel), ..then i took the mast off (it's like one or two setscrews holding it on), - just be careful because there is a nylon flexible rope gear that extends up into the mast from the motor, it looks kinda fragile..

i cleaned the hell out of the mast w/ full concentration degreaser (krud cutter) - i had three sections seized up, ...in time i was able to work two of the three free, got the "gunk" cleaned out good. also degreased the rope gear best i could.. then reinstalled the antenna/motor assy in the vehicle.. antenna now goes up (except one section is still seized, so it doesn't go up as high as it would new), but it goes down all the way - i lubed the hell out of it w/ a silicone-based lube called "jig-aloo", which is an awesome lube..

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I tried to rebuild mine on both cars and decided it wasn't worth the effort and I bought a universal power antenna for $69.00 each,using a part from the original base I got the Uni Ant to work and look good.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

black
    1979 trans am

I remember seeing a thread about someone doing a short fixed antenna that looked pretty good. I believe it was on a camaro. Does anyone know how this is done or where i can find the right up?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

When mine was acting up the dealership cleaned it up and lubed it white lithium grease.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Thread Information