Silver
    2001 Camaro V6 W/T-tops

Exclamation Please help me with my monsoon stereo

i have a 2001 camaro with t-tops, and a monsoon stereo, i have a 10" rockford fosgate sub (no-amp) and i want to just remove my existing stock "subwoofers" and plug it in instead, using the stock monsoon amps. can i do that, will it mess anything up, and what possible ways can i do that?
    thanks

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro208 View Post
    i have a 2001 camaro with t-tops, and a monsoon stereo, i have a 10" rockford fosgate sub (no-amp) and i want to just remove my existing stock "subwoofers" and plug it in instead, using the stock monsoon amps. can i do that, will it mess anything up, and what possible ways can i do that?
    thanks
    Not really -- only 60-75wRMS per channel isn't going to be enough to power your sub and yu cannot bridge the channels anyway.

However.....there has always been something I wanted to try on a Camaro just for the hell of it -- youy would need a nicer DVC sub with decent sensitivity -- and assuming the Monsoon amp signal to sails is mono -- then use one sail side for one VC, and the other for the other VC -- could get as much as 150wRMS total -- which is not much.....but may be a nice cheap alternative to add a smaller sub in the stealth location -- and by using 2 chs on one larger sub, you would get a lot mroe than each on a smaller sail panel sub.

Might consider this if your RF sub has two voice coils.

Silver
    2001 Camaro V6 W/T-tops

ok, thanks, i figured what the hell, and i went ahead and tried it, you were right that it isnt much power, but it is still at least twice as loud as stock, i dont have any clue how to tell how many voice coils my sub has, but it has only one input on the back of it, so i just completely unplugged both the left and right sail panel speakers, and spliced the left sail panel wire, at the location where the speaker normally would be, and ran it through the plastic to the trunk area, and plugged it into my sub. it sounds way better than stock, and you can turn the bass nob almost all the way up with no distortion. one more question though, with the sub i have, would there be any way to plug in both the left and right wires into the one sub? (without breaking anything) thanks

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

If it had 4 terminals/4 input spots to connect wires -- then it would have two voice coils -- sounds like you only have one. With two voice coils/DVC subs -- you would use one sail panel pair of wires on one pair of terminals, and the other sail on the other voice coil. Unfortunately, there is no way to make use of all 4 sail panel wires with a single voice coil sub because the amp is not capable of being bridged (to my or anyone elses knowledge I have come across).

Silver
    2001 Camaro V6 W/T-tops

ok, thanx, it does sound great the way it is, and i only paid 20 dollars for the 300 dollar sub/encloser (ebay) so im happy

Thread Information