NBM
    1999 Camaro SS Convertibl

PLEASE HELP ME! - Camaro Radio Installation

Ok Guys,

Here is my problem, please chime in if you think you can help.

I have had my camaro for 3 years and am just now getting around to installing an after-market stereo. I have a nice Pioneer 7" flip out touch screen, but thats besides the point.

When I begin to take my radio out, my car FREAKS OUT. Oh, when I say "I" i mean a professional stereo shop with 25+ years experience.

As soon as you unclip either of the harnesses from the back of the stock monsoon radio, the car begins to honk, blink, tick, etc.

Plug the harnesses back into the STOCK head unit, and boom, she shuts up and all is perfectly normal.

You can try plugging the harnesses into the new head unit, but that does not remedy the problem. The car has every problem you can think of, the interior lights all stop working, the radio wont light up, etc.

The radio started to work one time, I listened to it, but the whole time the lights on the dash were flashing on and off, it was being crazy.

Is there some special piece I need? Some plug or adapter? I called every stereo shop in town and everyone thinks im crazy. I talked to everyone I could ask and all of them say they have never heard of such a problem.

My camaro is a 1999 SS Convertible, All Options. My cars electronics are BONE STOCK and have never been modified in any way. Never had any kind of additional alarm or anything like that. I bought the car used and bone stock with 60,000 miles on it 3 years ago.

PLEASE help me with any information that you can provide! Right now I put the stock headunit back in and the car is working 100% normal.

PLEASE HELP!

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Its a stupid GM safety feature, its anti-theft. Where ever you bought your wireing harness should sell the little box to hook it up i belive. Working at a stereo place youve never heard of this? It should only be like 15-30 bucks but its just another pointless GM saftey precaution.

NBM
    1999 Camaro SS Convertibl

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Its a stupid GM safety feature, its anti-theft. Where ever you bought your wireing harness should sell the little box to hook it up i belive. Working at a stereo place youve never heard of this? It should only be like 15-30 bucks but its just another pointless GM saftey precaution.
    Im just the customer, I dont work there.

Can you please give me more information on this device, where I can get one, part numbers, etc?

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Ill have to get back to you tommorow im really drunk i cant find shit right now sorry...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Ill have to get back to you tommorow im really drunk i cant find shit right now sorry...
    Thats awesome. I was in the same boat yesterday!!!

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

just a question... when removing the radio and all the stuff... is your car battery unplugged ? it should be.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Oh forgot about this thread lol, its the GM Theft lock.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

So you have to have to have this theft lock?

I've never heard this before, any info on these, such as where to get them?

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Its a code you have to type in. I guess the previous owners of the car had it programed, what you need to do is look through your owners manual, hopefully there is a card in there for the code, or look for a sticker somewhere on there... If that fails take it to a dealership and they have a code they use.

this site will tell you alittle more about it, you can even use them to get the code but it will cost you like 20 bucks..

Hope this helps

Thread Information