Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Phuckin Monsoon on the blink AGAIN!

Listening to disc & all of a sudden the screen says "error" & spits out the disc.Try new disc,same thing.Turn off radio,&its still making noise every 3 or 4 seconds. Pull radio fuse & something is still running.Next morning ~DEAD BATTERY. Anybody have a clue as to whats going on? If the phucker can't be fixed whats the best head unit to go with?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

There is no "best" HU -- whatever you like personally... Look for brands like Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer, Kenwood Excelon, Clarion, JVC --- avoid most all others.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Hell my monsoon must be hooked up to my gas pedal somehow. When I give it half throttle or more it turns itself up. I am not bullshitting!!! lol

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    Hell my monsoon must be hooked up to my gas pedal somehow. When I give it half throttle or more it turns itself up. I am not bullshitting!!! lol
    Well....don't factory Monsoon systems have speed dependent volume control (increases volume with increasing speed to overcome ambient road/engine noise)? I believe speed dependent volume control (SDVC) is on the factory HU somewhere, and sensitivity can be controlled or it can be turned off...but I haven't seen or used a factory HU in ages.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Well....don't factory Monsoon systems have speed dependent volume control (increases volume with increasing speed to overcome ambient road/engine noise)? I believe speed dependent volume control (SDVC) is on the factory HU somewhere, and sensitivity can be controlled or it can be turned off...but I haven't seen or used a factory HU in ages.
    That would make sense but I didnt know a radio had shit like that damn. I dont think I need my radio to turn up on its own. Thanks for the help though.

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Yeah, its supposed to do that. Its called SCV (Speed Compensated Volume)
    There are 4 setting for it.. adjusted on the lower portion of the volume knob. From lowest to highest: Off, Low, Medium and High.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Monsoon Working Again! Yea!

When I charged up the battery the damn thing started working again. Phuck, who knows ?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I noticed the volume thing a couple days ago when I was cruising down PCH to San Diego. I would go from 40 to 65 and it would get louder, I thought it was some kind of power surge or something. weird.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Corvettekid82 View Post
    Yeah, its supposed to do that. Its called SCV (Speed Compensated Volume)
    There are 4 setting for it.. adjusted on the lower portion of the volume knob. From lowest to highest: Off, Low, Medium and High.
    Click for full size
    Thanks now I know what the hell that means on the volume knob and will be turning it to the off position.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Mine has no SCV. Maybe it's a Camaro thing? Phuck.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

I ended up throwing the Monsoon in the trash. well actually I sold it to a forum member, but anyways... I went with a nice Alpine H/U and Infinity speakers. It is much more crisp and sharp versus boomy and muddy with the Monsoon. I do miss the speed-sensitive volume, tho...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I don't really care how crisp my stereo sounds, I only listen to my stereo half the time anyways. as long as I can hear some songs when I feel like it I'm happy.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I don't really care how crisp my stereo sounds, I only listen to my stereo half the time anyways. as long as I can hear some songs when I feel like it I'm happy.
    In this situation crisp sound after swapping out the HU is due to MUCH less distortion than the factory HU - which is one of the primary reasons for speakers blowing prematurely; so even if you don't care too much for the clarity - it's often a good investment to protect your speakers as well. However...if you don't play your system at high volumes for extended periods of time, you're perfectly fine, IMO.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    In this situation crisp sound after swapping out the HU is due to MUCH less distortion than the factory HU - which is one of the primary reasons for speakers blowing prematurely; so even if you don't care too much for the clarity - it's often a good investment to protect your speakers as well. However...if you don't play your system at high volumes for extended periods of time, you're perfectly fine, IMO.
    I wanna upgrade as soon as possible. I have 1 kenwood amp, 1 PUNCH 900 amp, and a set of 10 inch punch subs from my last vehicle that I am gonna start out with. I am gonna get a box from Crutchfield that looks like it came factory with matching dark grey plastic/vinyl. Its like $250.00. What kind of box for subs are you using?? I know it wont be long after I put this stuff in that a new head unit/new door speakers/new sail panal mids will be needed.
    Gotta have half decent sounds!!!! Monsoon=

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

What kind of box for subs are you using??
    I actually purchased my box from Crutchfield as well rather than make one because I couldn't find the carpet color they used for cheap. I do not have my sub in the stealth location or anything like that (actually my amp is in the stealth location) - reason is I wanted to be able to quickly remove the sub when I do not want the extra weight in the car. As far as the box physically - it is 3/4" MDF, sealed enclosure.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I may have missed this but what size subs/amps and what brand do you use?? Did you put new door speakers in also? If so did you go with Infinity?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I turned off the SCV on my car earlier today, and then tonight I took a gal out on a date. listened to some Simon and Garfunkel, and as I drove I couldn't hear it over my exhaust. found myself turning the stereo up and down. I think I'm gonna leave it on medium.

blue
    2002 WS6

ha. i don't really care. i usually listen to the exhaust anyway... it sounds so much better.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Nothing major - my amp is an older MTX (when they were better quality) -- puts out 300wRMS only. My sub is the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 that can handle 350wRMS at least. Have had this setup for 5 years with zero problems. My front speakers are stock until they blow, as well as everything else besides the HU. Once things start blowing, I will have a 4 channel amp to power higher end front component speakers (not really high end stuff, probably just MB Quart), and rear midbass subs (probably from CDT). Though I am happy with my sub, especially for the price I paid for it, as soon as something goes wrong it will most likely be replaced with something by TCSounds with a new amp. As far as amps - just stay more towards HiFonics, Phoenix Gold, JL, Kenwood, Precision Power, Elemental Designs, or any high end stuff. Phoenix gold will give the best price/performance ratio by far, IMO.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluebird View Post
    ha. i don't really care. i usually listen to the exhaust anyway... it sounds so much better.
    true story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information