Black
    2001 Trans Am

Optima red top problem

I recently installed an optima red top 75/35. Everything is fine except when I push the clutch in to slow down. When the rpm's drop the battery gauge drops to ~13 for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then jumps back up to normal ~16. The lights dim and everything. Not a major prop just annoying.

Hmmm...I put one in my car a few months ago and notice once in a while my gauge will drop below 13 for a second or two, usually when braking and taking a turn, but not always. I swear the stock delco and diehard I had previously didn't do that. I posted about it on another board thinking maybe my alt was going bad or something - consensus was not to worry about it. Is yours doing it everytime you depress the clutch? 10-15 seconds sounds too long to me. Sorry no help, just thought I'd share my experience.
    A4(3.42)TA Cover/Nittos/Vig 3200/Corsa Catback/FTRA/BMR Boxed SFC, STB, ACLA, APHR/Predator Custom Tune...

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Mine doesn't do it at all. I really think my stock GM battery was better though. After 4 years of having the car, then finally the stock battery went out. So I added a Red Top, then let the car sit for 2 weeks and it was dead. Never had a problem like that with any battery.. Never did it with the stock one.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Tried to make it do it on the way home and found that it does not do it every time the clutch pedal is depressed. having the rpm's arround 2k then pressing the clutch will do it. Sitting still and reving over 2k will sometimes do it too. Maybe the belt is slipping, it has been squeaking a little lately. Yeah, 10-15 sec. is a bit much, more like goes down to a certain point then comes back up.

White
    1998 Camaro SS

It seem to normal, the voltage change is depend on the electrical load. In a good charging system, the battery voltage should stay at 13.6 volt. If it go over that, it is over charging. After the engine started, all electrical power is supply by the alternator, the battery only use for reserve power and back up when the alternator not enough output.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Is the Yellow Top Optima worth the extra money?? Does anybody have one of these? I am having problems with the voltage way down below 13 when I come to a stop in drive, and the A/C on, and my radar detector on. But when I take off...then the voltage goes back up to just over 13. Autozone was telling me that I should get the yellow top instead...as it would work better for the extra accessories. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I run a yellow top. It a deep cycle battery that can handle the extra load.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

white
    1998 Trans Am

Is it really necessary...or will the red top work just fine. I don't want to spend the extra money if i don't need to. but on the other hand...i don't want to purchase the red top and it not work that well...when i could have spent another $50 for the yellow top.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

The red top should be fine. I only got the yellow one because I play the stereo alot.

white
    1998 Trans Am

i am having problems with the radar detector working...so the red would work fine with that??? the yellow top is not going to be of benefit to me then??

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Mark01WS6
    I recently installed an optima red top 75/35. Everything is fine except when I push the clutch in to slow down. When the rpm's drop the battery gauge drops to ~13 for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then jumps back up to normal ~16. The lights dim and everything. Not a major prop just annoying.

16 ain't 'normal' buddy... you should be resting at 13.5 normally... that's what the regulator is set to stock, unless you have a special alternator...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    The red top should be fine. I only got the yellow one because I play the stereo alot.
    Yellowtops are good batteries, but don't give anyone the idea that you can use the Yellowtop as a deepcycle and charge it back up with the alternator... Yellowtops are notorious for killing alternators... I've seen it happen the first time someone drained the batt on a brand new alternator... because the yellowtop will cause the alt to run at full output until it overheats the rectifier bridge...

a regular battery cannot take the power in as fast as the yellow, which is why the alternator lasts longer with the stock battery/non gel-cel

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Red Top

Since my Delco died in my formula back in January I bought a Red Top because from what I have heard they are alot better than normal batteries. Whenever I have needed a new battery in the past I have bought a diehard, but this Red Top seems to be a good choice. I cannot remeber a time when the voltage drops below the 13 or middle of the guage, this even when I have the AC on and have the stereo banging. I have thought why didn't I get the Yellow Top instead of the Red Top whats a few more dollars but since reading this thread I am glad I went with the Red Top instead. I am not a professional so I rely on this board for alot of information and so far everythign I have recieved advice wise from here has been really helpfull.

If your Red Top drops below the mid or 13 you probably in my opinion have a bad Red Top take it back to the place you bought it from I believe Optima Red Top's have a warranty 3 years replacement if I remeber correct. I think you have to have a really serious load on the Red Top to make th evoltage drop below 13. I may be wrong I have been before but if it were my Red Top and my car I would take the battery back and make them replace it with a new one.

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

Eddie
    98 WS.6 Formuila

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

my battery goes down to 11.6 with the headlights, foglights, max AC... with no stereo running.

my old car did the same thing.... but if I turn the fan speed down to 1 or 2 my voltage will come back up to 13.0

Thread Information