Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok, next project.....

Just as a refresher here's what I put in the truck.
    Kenwood BT945U head unit
    Alpine 600c (6.5" components) in the front doors
    Alpine 500 (5.25" coaxials) in the rear doors

It sounds decent but IMO could still use some more base. I'm thinking about going with a small sub and amp. Doesn't need to be high end but would like it to sound decent. I was thinking an 8" sub under the rear seats and splitting a couple hundred watts between it and the door speakers. I don't need huge base but would like a little more. I've always heard those amped tubes suck but that would really work out perfect for me if they didn't sound so bad. Thoughts, opinions, and ideas welcome.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you have the coin, I would get a separate amp for the door speakers and subs. I would think a decent few hundred watt 4-channel for the doors and then get a mono amp for the 8" sub. I think you would be pretty happy with an 8" sub for the vehicle you have. Nice, tight, bass and response.

I believe there are pretty nice boxes at subthump.com that are pretty affordable.

You may want to research or maybe someone in here knows whether under the seat and upfiring will sound better or behind the seat and front firing...unless you are sold on putting the box under the seat.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Well i have put systems in these trucks a few times and for the money the best i had was a kenwood HU polk doors and tweets with the infinity powered sub it was just enough base so that you could feel it and i could turn the base down for the doors and have them screaming sounded great. but if you want a under back seat box most of them are down fire with a amp mount do some searching on ebay you can find those boxes everywhere.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The sub boxes from subthump fire upward. I did some reading for you Orion last night....and it looks like most of the boxes for behind the seats have issues with the speaker coming into contact with the back of the seats when the woofer actually is extending far (turned up)...so with that said, under the seat seams to be the best route.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, I'd put it under the back seats instead of behind. There's just not much room behind the seats at all. I'd like to do just a single 8" back there. Subthump.com has a deep 10/12 box but I'd worry about having too much base or getting a 10 or 12 and having to turn it way down.
    Here's another question. Why does my radio have RCA sub outputs on the back of it? Would that go to the amp? Does that mean I wouldn't have to splice wires and what not? Just hook that up to the amp and get power to the amp?

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, i'd put it under the back seats instead of behind. There's just not much room behind the seats at all. I'd like to do just a single 8" back there. Subthump.com has a deep 10/12 box but i'd worry about having too much base or getting a 10 or 12 and having to turn it way down.
    Here's another question. Why does my radio have rca sub outputs on the back of it? Would that go to the amp? Does that mean i wouldn't have to splice wires and what not? Just hook that up to the amp and get power to the amp?
    correct how many are back their!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

2 (left and right I thought it was, just saw red and white RCA's). The radio has a built in crossover.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If two, you have a right channel and a left channel. Each RCA will run back to the amp along with a remote wire for turning the amp on. As far as actual wiring for the amplifier, you will just have a power cable, ground cable, and the speaker wire.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

2 (left and right I thought it was, just saw red and white RCA's). The radio has a built in crossover.
    Built in crossovers rarely have the range imho.. A seperate low pass filter and a lone 10" on a seperate amp is what I'd run..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Good practice for power and ground cables for the amps to be the same guage.. just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Just as a refresher here's what I put in the truck.
    Kenwood BT945U head unit
    Alpine 600c (6.5" components) in the front doors
    Alpine 500 (5.25" coaxials) in the rear doors

It sounds decent but IMO could still use some more base. I'm thinking about going with a small sub and amp. Doesn't need to be high end but would like it to sound decent. I was thinking an 8" sub under the rear seats and splitting a couple hundred watts between it and the door speakers. I don't need huge base but would like a little more. I've always heard those amped tubes suck but that would really work out perfect for me if they didn't sound so bad. Thoughts, opinions, and ideas welcome.
    You never posted on the other thread as to weather those alpine 600c's have external crossovers or not. Also how do they sound?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no external crossovers.....I thought someone in there had already posted they had filters. They sound pretty good. The truck is also plenty loud just like it sits. I was playing with the EQ's the other night and when I came in my ears were ringing.

SOM
    2002 SS

I used to have 2 10s and a really expensive competition amp in my c4 vette. I removed it for trunk space and tried out a Bazooka self amplified bass tube (10 inch). It sounds really good. It is a hatchback and its pretty small inside but for $200 or so it was 3 wires and thats it. I would highly reccomend trying it out since a truck is like a hatch in that the sub isnt in a trunk.

Buy Domestic, Buy a Lexus The Project's Avatar

Red Jewel
    2010 SS

What's your budget for this.

Maybe look at JBL GTO804 or Polk MM840 subs. Both are 8" and require between .3 and .35 cu.ft. for a box.

I looked for an inexpense reliable amp that would feed enough power to the sub with causing them to blow.

JBL
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL+GTO804.html

Polk
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio+MM840.html

Amps - 300w (All you need)
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p8046/Xa30...-Amplifier.htm
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p7512/KAC6...-Amplifier.htm
    Last edited by The Project; 10-02-2010 at 01:18 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok, I ended up ordering a bazooka 6100 (6.5" sub with built in 100watt amp). Few reasons really. It seems to fit more into exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want to lose the entire side under the rear seat because I stuff a guitar under there when we go on trips. I measured the space under there and the 8" tube was cutting it close. I'm not going to be in any stereo competitions or anything like that. Just need a little more base. I can also take this thing out in just a few minutes if I have too. It just seems to fit what I need and for $150 shipped if I don't like it I'm not out much money and can get some of that back selling it.
    It should be here tomorrow and I'll try to get it in sometime tomorrow night. My question is more for the input going to the tube. It has rca's and wire connections for inputs. Can I use the sub out rca's from my stereo and not have to use the other wires? Should I use the sub outputs or the other preamp outputs? The tube also has an auto turn on that'll turn it on when it senses a signal. Should I run the remote turn on wire back there or will that auto turn on be ok? I'm just looking at the fewer wires I have to run the better. Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the sub

http://www.bazooka.com/tech/wiring-d...s/BTAxx100#top

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You want to use your pre-amp output RCAs from your CD player and go to the low-level input RCAs of the bass tube.

You also want to run the remote wire from the HU to the tube. The remote wire is what sends the signal to the tube to turn on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You want to use your pre-amp output RCAs from your CD player and go to the low-level input RCAs of the bass tube.

You also want to run the remote wire from the HU to the tube. The remote wire is what sends the signal to the tube to turn on.
    I have 6 preamp outputs on the HU. 4 high end and 2 sub preamp outputs. I'm not sure which to use. I'm thinking the sub outputs. I don't think it'd matter really because the bazooka has a filter I believe. I most likely will run the remote wire but what I was saying is the bazooka has an auto on feature that will turn it on when it senses a signal so really you don't need that remote wire ran. Just not sure how much I trust the auto on feature.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hit a little snag. I have my wires ran and ready to hook it up to the tubes harness. I notice the rca connectors on the tube say + and - while the rca's from the head unit say Right and Left. Not sure what to do here. I expected there to be a Left and Right on the tubes inputs.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I'm sure you are reading that thing wrong. IF there are two spots to plug in your rca cables, do it. No worries there. I would just plug in the rca cables first, and see if their signal gets read by the amp before you hook anything to like the remote turn on to it. If it doesn't work, then hook up the remote turn on lead. And one thing about the remote turn on lead, don't let it touch ground, or it will short out your stereo. And you want to use your sub preouts(rca) because then you can control your bass with the head unit. You'll probably find that you will like the bass at one level. This should be in hertz. Lower the number, cleaner the bass. For rock, in the middle should be fine. I listen to rap half the time, so I got mine set low at 60. And if you had gone with a free standing amp, you could have gotten a remote dial switch to turn the feed to the sub up or down very easily. Too late now, though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I got it figured out. You can get that remote for the tubes too. I did use the sub preamp so I can adjust the output there. Got it all hooked up and the truck put back together. It sounds bad ass. I'm extremely happy with how the whole thing sounds now. That little tube was just what the truck needed. I can still put my guitar under the seat ( body on opposite side of the tube) and there's tons of base for the music I listen to. It's nice and crisp too. I'm gonna add up everything to see what I have in the whole system but I got a pretty damn good system for not a lot of scratch all things considered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information