wheee?

Primer is Finer
    1969 Chevy Nova

new and improved monsoon speakers?

hey all, just brought home a new '01 camaro, and i blew out the sail panel speakers on my way home rofl

i'm pretty happy with the way the system sounds stock. i'm not looking to throw a lot of money on this car with aftermarket subs and amps and stuff. i looked around on ebay for a replacement and it seems that a couple people are offering an "updated monsoon speaker" that is described as the following:

These speakers commonly fail as the original design could not handle the 500 watts of power the monsoon system put out; this new design has more handling power and will not blow out easily like the original
    is this guy full of bull or is there really a newer version of the speaker? when i talked to a couple GM dealers they said there was no updated part number or anything for these speakers.

thanks guys

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

It is not the amount of power that destroys the speakers. And the POS Monsoon system doesn't put out anywhere near 500 watts RMS (which is the ONLY power spec that matters). Maybe when it reproduces a 1kHz tone at 10% THD it does but NOT a full bandwidth signal. The 500W figure is a maximum power rating and is totally meaningless. Any amplifier can boast outrageous power numbers like that when it's only reproducing a single frequency. What blows the speakers is the insane amount of distortion the POS Monsoon system produces. If you don't intend to upgrade the entire POS Monsoon system you need to do a couple of things to protect the speakers. The first is to ease up on the volume control. The other is to back off the bass controls on the EQ a little.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

wheee?

Primer is Finer
    1969 Chevy Nova

yeah, i think what blew it was when i got the t-tops off and let the SCV do its thing. after cruising at 90-100 i got off the highway for a gas stop and noticed the rattling from the speakers, then a week later noticed they were just plain gone. doh.

Thread Information