Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

New headunit no sound

I replaced the factory head unit in my z28 camaro with the aftermarket head unit I had in my old v6 camaro but no sound is coming from the speakers when the head unit is on.
    I used the same connectors that could be connected but I think there is one or two connectors that won't connect to the head unit.

I'm thinking some wire splicing may be required but not sure. any ideas on what to do or what wires to splice?

Note: Both camaros are the same year makes, the z28 has all factory stereo equipment, and the v6 camaro had an complete aftermarket system.

does the Z28 have the monsoon system and the other v6 Camaro has what radio ?

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

No the Z28 does not have the monsoon system and the V6 camaro had the aftermarket radio before I took it out and tried installing the aftermarket radio in the Z28.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Did you splice the wires or use an adaptor?

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

an adaptor was used to hook up the aftermarket radio

Pewter
    99 Trans Am WS6

No need ever to have to splice wires if your using the harness kit for your car. The only spliceing you have to do is between your new radio harness and the one that plugs into your factory one. NEVER cut into the factory harness.

You need to tell a little more about whats going on.
    Does the radio have power?
    Put in a cd can you hear anything?
    Any static on the radio channels?
    How did you connect the wires together? Butt connectors? What color ones? Should of been the blue ones.
    Have you done installs before?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FFRob2001 View Post
    No need ever to have to splice wires if your using the harness kit for your car. The only spliceing you have to do is between your new radio harness and the one that plugs into your factory one. NEVER cut into the factory harness.

How did you connect the wires together? Butt connectors? What color ones? Should of been the blue ones.
    Yep, could be many things, ground not connected, antenna, etc etc...should work no problem if the speakers worked before you put this in.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

agreed with ffrob and rotwiler. it could be, and im saying this assuming the wiring is like my T/A.... theres two wire housings coming out of the car, and you connected the main one with most of the wires to an adapter....on the other one is the wire for your amplifier [mine was dark green] and you need to cut that wire and connect it to the corresponding amplifier receiver wire into the adapter.......but i have the monsoon and like i said that MIGHT be it...what stereo did you get and where did you get it from

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by FFRob2001 View Post

Yes Radio has power
    No can't hear anything when I put in a cd besides the motor that takes in the cd.
    No Static on radio channels
    wires were connected using butt connectors. Blue (remote), red, yellow, black.
    Yes a few times but I didn't do the install on the camaro it was in.
    What Stereo did I get? I got a pioneer head unit model DEH-P7700MP and it was purchased at a local car stereo place.

Dark green wire that Arrison24 mentions is not connected to the adapter along with a few other wires. (just noticed this.)
    (Purple and green) Wires that aren't connected are connected to an Legacy hi/low impedance adapter Model: LN-60

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

hmmm, here is one to look at too...my kenwood has in the settings area a turn off or on for the internal amp. I also have one on mine for the subwoofer output, I was showing my stereo to someone and wanted to let them get the full effect with the 62.7is and subs...couldn't get any bass and found out my sub out was turned off at the head unit.
    If it worked before, it is most likely a setting in the unit, I dunno what type of security pioneer has or connected wrong...

Why use the adaptor when your hu has subwoofer outs. I had a converter and going to a real hu with subwoofer outs was 400X better, bass hit cleaner and louder.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

yea if there is a seperate dark green wire from the main big housing.... you need to connect that because your stereo wont work without your amplifier and thats you amp..... if the wires on the adapter are labeled i believe the green will go to either "p cont" or "ant cont" i think the first one

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by iceman504 View Post
    Yes Radio has power
    No can't hear anything when I put in a cd besides the motor that takes in the cd.
    No Static on radio channels
    wires were connected using butt connectors. Blue (remote), red, yellow, black.
    Yes a few times but I didn't do the install on the camaro it was in.
    What Stereo did I get? I got a pioneer head unit model DEH-P7700MP and it was purchased at a local car stereo place.

Dark green wire that Arrison24 mentions is not connected to the adapter along with a few other wires. (just noticed this.)
    (Purple and green) Wires that aren't connected are connected to an Legacy hi/low impedance adapter Model: LN-60
    The purple and green from the headunit are speaker wires. You should also have grey and white ones. If they aren't hooked up there is your problem. There should be a second factory connector.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

This happened when I took a stereo out of my 2000 Camaro with a plain stereo system and tried to put it into my 95 Z28 with the Bose system. You have to have yet another adapter/connector/box to make the stereo play through the new system. Got mine from best buy.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Just tried hooking it up following the suggestions above and it worked!!!
    Turns out it was the purple and green wires, Thanks to everyone who responded.

Thread Information