Thread: New head unit

LPM
    2000 Z28

New head unit

I have read several threads and have gotten mixed results. I plan to install a double din head unit within the next few weeks. I realize I have to fab my own trim piece, but with the monsoon system, will I be able to use the standard gm harness and still maintain use of the factory amp or will I be forced to bypass it? Thanks for any help.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

white
    1998 Trans Am

are you going to use the stock speakers? to be honest, if most good head units have built in 50x4 built in amps. my new pioneer did.. it doesnt cost much money to upgrade the speakers.. i spent only $250 and replaced my door speakers and sail panel speakers and ran them off the headunit.. and i tell you what... that pioneer is so strong that even when i hooked my subs up yesterday, i can still hear my mids loud and clear.. but when replacing those speakers i will tell you to shop online and buy speakers.. there are KILLER deals online if you research it enough..i have saved probably close to $1000 on mine.. online shopping and installing all parts myself.. its well worth it if you take your time, research, and know how to install it all

LPM
    2000 Z28

The precious owner replaced the speakers with pyles? My only question is whether I have to bypass the monsoon amp. Thanks for the advice though. I'll replace my speakers when I get a 4 channel to push them.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I'm no expert, but I got a connector between the car harness and my Alpine HU, and it works direct with the Monsoon amp. You can check on Crutchfield for what connector you need to still use your Monsoon sys. Then got shopping on the internet to find the cheapest.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Thanks man. That's all I needed. Someone posted somewhere that you can't use an aftermarket head unit with the monsoon amp. I couldn't see why not but I wanted to be sure before I started my install. Thanks again

White
    2001 RS Camaro

I highly recommend Kenwood subs. I have the Kenwood KIV 700 head unit single din but it far outweighs the double I was gonna get. I paid around $350 for the unit and upgraded all 6 of my speakers put in 2 10" shallow Kenwood Excelon subs and a Pioneer amp.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by derekbuckner1 View Post
    Thanks man. That's all I needed. Someone posted somewhere that you can't use an aftermarket head unit with the monsoon amp. I couldn't see why not but I wanted to be sure before I started my install. Thanks again
    you CAN use a aftermarket deck with your monsoon system....it sounds a tad better than with a stock deck....but the bass is really weird for the sail panel subs (ones by your back seats) the bass just wants to wash everything else out. its not that bad if you dont have your stereo cranked a bunch, but i do so i went ahead and bypassed the monsoon amp

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    I highly recommend Kenwood subs. I have the Kenwood KIV 700 head unit single din but it far outweighs the double I was gonna get. I paid around $350 for the unit and upgraded all 6 of my speakers put in 2 10" shallow Kenwood Excelon subs and a Pioneer amp.

Click for full size[/thumb]

Click for full size[/thumb]
    Why sub is up side down? Wat dat does?

Thread Information