The Devil You Know!! TooFastT/A's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Need Serious Help With Steering Wheel Controls

I am in desperate need of help with my F*%#ing Steering Wheel Controls! This thing is really pissing me off, ok here's the problem: I had an Alpine 9833 Deck installed in my 95 T/A in 2004, the person who installed told me that unless I had $100 to spend on an interface, I would not have use of my steering wheel controls with the alpine deck, I said "it was cool, I really didn't need them!"
    Well, now I'm doing alot of upgrades to the interior and one of those things is getting the Steering wheel controls to work! I had purchased some steering wheel controls in Black from a 2001 Camaro, I picked up some new bulbs to switch out on the controls, and I picked up the PAC SWIX kit.

Well, nothing works! No illumination, No working controls! I hooked up the PAC's the way it is supposed to be with the green wire from the interface going to the Drk blue wire in pin 14, well it powers and I get to the initial programming stage after programming the version (1 for Pontiacs) and I push the mode button and then hold down the button on the steering wheel....the light on the right never comes on and it seems to time out and after the 7 sec the left programming light turns off.

Now I have read all the forums about this subject that there is here and on LS1 Tech, and there are no answers to this question! I am not a complete retard, and I do have enough knowledge about electrical equipment to know what to do, but I am stumped! It is like there is NO power or anything running to those Steering Wheel Controls and I have even pulled the Airbag, pulled the underside of the dash and followed the wires from the Steering wheel to the connection of the deck, and I have found nothing wrong!

Can anybody assist me with this problem?? Please.......

......I really don't want it to be Sledgehammer Time!!!

-Justin

1998 WS7 T/A M6| SLP:Lid,Line Lock,LM Exhaust w/ORY,Skip Shift| Pacesetter LT| 80mm BBK TB| Centerforce LS6 Clutch| Eaton Detroit TrueTrac Differential| MAC Diff.Carrier Girdle| 3:73 Gears| Spohn Cntrl Arms| Hotchkis Adj PHB| H&R Lowering Sp.Springs| NX 150 Shot Direct Port|More Mods... FQuick Page

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

who did you buy the interface from? they could probaly give you some idea of what the problem might be.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Did you check it with a voltmeter to see if power actually is getting to it?

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

I bought the interface online through e-bay, It is a working unit.

No I did not take a voltmeter or the such to any leads, as I already know there is no power going to the Controls. I don't have any illumination, and no power to the controls.

I went and did something stupid today and now I lost illumination out of all my accessories in the interior such as gauge, HVAC, Headlight Switch, and Door illumination. They still work, but I think I grounded a wire in the dimmer switch, because nothing turns on when I turn the headlight switch, but when I activate or deactivate my alarm, all my Instrumentations light up.

So I am saying....Fuck it, I am taking it to an electronics shop and paying for them to get my illuminations and the Steering Wheel controls to work.

I don't have the patience and I don't have access to a wiring schematic for my year car, and it doesn't seem like anybody else does either, so instead of paying a ridiculous price for a repair manual online, or through a store, and risk screwing something else up, I figure on cutting my losses and have a professional do it.

Thanks to all of the 2 people that had any input on this matter. I really appreciate it.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Revert it back to the way it was...undo everything you have done and put it all back. It might be something as simple as a dirty ground, bad connection(did you sodder<-spelled wrong) all the connections and use flux? Or the interface could be bad. With electronic crap you never know wether it is good or not. If you had a friend with a different one to try out, that would help eliminate that at least. Going to an electrical professional might cost you out the ass. I had a power drain I could not find anywhere on my old car. Really small one, took it to a professional to find after searching forever. They charge by the hour, and as it is a thinking puzzle of sorts to figure out, they take their sweet ass time. Then they say it was very hard to figure out and took them all afternoon.

I would spend another day at least trying to figure it out myself before I gave up, just eliminate everything the problem isn't and what your left with, no matter how inprobable has to be the answer.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

what schematic do you need? i can email you a copy of whatever you need, or I can tell you which wire is which.

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    what schematic do you need? i can email you a copy of whatever you need, or I can tell you which wire is which.
    That would be way awesome if you could supply me with a complete interior wiring schematic or the Steering Wheel controls wiring schematic for a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am!

Turns out, I blew the Brake light fuse when I "jimmy rigged" something in the headlight switch, I don't exactly know where the power and Illumination runs to which fuse and or power source. Hence, the reason for the wiring schematic. the 98-02 schematics are completely different and I cannot seem to locate one. You can email it to: Seraphimscoil@comcast.net

You are way awesome if you could do that! After having to eat $100 today, I would love a silver lining in all of this!

By the way, anybody who reads this and knows of a place called: Quality Auto Sound, NEVER go to them! They ripped me, their prices are outrageous, and their policies suck! Not to mention they are extremely rude! I went to the one in my city of Lakewood, Colorado.....never again, Trust me, I am a stickler when it comes to anybody working on my car!

-Justin

Thread Information