Thread: need more mid

red
    2002 z/28

need more mid

Ive installed infiniti 6118 (i think)in the doors due to a blown speaker.the rest of the system is factory except a pair of 12's

.I've got tons of bass and treble but there seems to be a hole in my sound between oh say 300Hz and 5KHz.what can i do to fix this?also the way I installed amps and subs there are wires that I'm unable to figure out how to conceal any help please.
    Last edited by crazy dave ls1; 10-09-2008 at 04:25 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Post pics so we can give advice on hiding the wires. As for the lack of midrange what receiver are you running? Some of the newer ones have bass, mid, high adjustment. Do you have an amp for the full range speakers also?

red
    2002 z/28

try not to laugh too hard.the head unit is factory and I'd really like to keep it cause I've gotten spoiled to the steering wheel controls.to run the subs I've soldered in a line level adapter to a 3 channel passive EQ.As of now the EQ's sole purpose is for the subs.The rest of the stereo is the stock monsoon 8 speaker system except for the infinity's for the doors.It's really loud and clear just that flat spot for the mids.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

red
    2002 z/28

oh yeah my headunit has only bass and high adj.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Does the monsoon have an eq built in? You can upgrade to an aftermarket headunit and still use the steering wheel controls. With the stock monsoon you should get decent mids from the sail panel speakers. Make sure they are still working. I guess you are running one amp per sub? Is there room between the box and the well to run the wires? Which wires did you use for the front speakers? I think there is two, a full range and a high for the stock speakers. You could have the wrong ones up front.

red
    2002 z/28

yes the headunit has a cheesy eq (rap,rock,etc.)and I've played with the settings and am still not happy.What aftermarket units are out there?I didn't think any would work with swcontrols.The sail panels?all the way in the back or just behind the front seats?I was going to replace the ones behind the front seats but they are 2 ohm .They are working.The ones in the very back are 5 1/4"?They are also working.When I installed the ones in the door I noticed they had 4 wires,2 ohm per pair,1 pair for the tweet,1 pair for the sub, so i seperated the tweet from the sub on the back of the speaker and wired them in that way.As for the subs yes 1 amp for 1 sub 300 watts rms each.My 12 disk cd changer is in the lower left so I had to leave the sub wires long as I have to lift the box out to change disks.I built the box myself so it fits really tight.A friend of mine suggested building a false floor out of 1x1 and covering it with carpet seems like a lot of work though.

Custom kick panels are there for you. I fiberglassed some in the front of my truck and it is a million times better.

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Dozier View Post
    Custom kick panels are there for you. I fiberglassed some in the front of my truck and it is a million times better.
    got some picts?What do you fiberglassed,you made the enclosure yourself?

red
    2002 z/28

also i should mention that i have to run the bass level control at midway because all the speakers (except the subs)make a "thonking"noise on low bass notes like the double bass drums of the type of music I listen too.Could I put bass blockers on the speakers to filter out the low notes like that so I could turn up the bass knob to get more mid?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You can get kickpanels from q-forms. They have them in crutchfield. You can also check them out for headunits. Just look for ones that can use the adaptor for steering wheel controls. I think a few might even have it built in. They make a replacement for the rear, elemental designs makes one that a lot of people are happy with that is 2 ohm. Did you make sure that you didnt cross the wires, pos and neg, in the front when you changed speakers? For covering the wires you could make a panel out of 1/8" mdf with cutouts for the amps and lay it over the area.

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    You can get kickpanels from q-forms. They have them in crutchfield. You can also check them out for headunits. Just look for ones that can use the adaptor for steering wheel controls. I think a few might even have it built in. They make a replacement for the rear, elemental designs makes one that a lot of people are happy with that is 2 ohm. Did you make sure that you didnt cross the wires, pos and neg, in the front when you changed speakers? For covering the wires you could make a panel out of 1/8" mdf with cutouts for the amps and lay it over the area.
    Yes I'm pretty sure I didn't cross the wires but It's probally a good idea to pull the door panels and double check.I saw elsewhere on this site that some people are using a different style of infinity for the door speakers.I know this is probally a dumb question but would speaker choice make that much of a diff.?I do have some leftover 3/4 inch MDF leftover I guess I'll go that route.Thank you for your input.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Speaker choice shouldnt make that much of a difference. With a 4 ohm instead of a 2 ohm you will lose a little power. Bass blockers would work but if you get a new headunit it will probably have a high pass filter for all the speakers that is adjustable. You will also be able to tailor highs, mids, and bass. Some even have the ability to go to a website and make a cd with adjustments that you load into the unit.

^^^correct. As for the kick panels. Yes I do make them, however it is not cheap. You would be better off finding some prefab ones like on crutchfield than paying someone else to make them for you.

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    Yes I'm pretty sure I didn't cross the wires but It's probally a good idea to pull the door panels and double check.I saw elsewhere on this site that some people are using a different style of infinity for the door speakers.I know this is probally a dumb question but would speaker choice make that much of a diff.?I do have some leftover 3/4 inch MDF leftover I guess I'll go that route.Thank you for your input.
    Yes. the way these cars are wired speaker choice and the way you wire it could make a difference. My understanding is that the tweeters in the doors are powered by the HU and the 6.5's are powered by the amp. So you want to put a speaker in there that is 2 ohm with an external crossover. Remove the crossover and wire directly to the speakers, and be certain to wire them appropriately. Infiniti makes a couple models that will work, there's a sticky on the replacement with the kappas. Since you have subs you may want to think about replacing the sail panels with the same speakers.

red
    2002 z/28

sail panels?right behind the front seats or all the way back?do you have any model #s for the infinitys?

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    sail panels?right behind the front seats or all the way back?do you have any model #s for the infinitys?
    I used the Infinity kappa 62.7i's in the doors, they sound great. The speakers right behind the front seats are also 6.5" and are also 2 ohm. The speakers all the way in the back are 4".

Black
    2002 Z28

Just realized you have a vert. You'll want to double check those sail panel sepcs, pretty sure the doors are the same.

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_geek View Post
    Just realized you have a vert. You'll want to double check those sail panel sepcs, pretty sure the doors are the same.
    T-Tops.Thanks for the input.

Thread Information