Black
    1999 Trans Am

Need info on wiring a new sub

The two speakers next to the rear seats are both blown. I know the whole deal about them being 2-ohm and mid subs and stuff and I would rather not try to just replece them. What I am hoping to do is go with the stealth 10" box and a sub, some sort of amp, and then just replace the two blown sail panel speakers with coaxial speakers and splice them into the hatch speakers.

My question is, what exactly do I need to do to wire in the new sub with my stock Monsoon head unit. I've read about the stock amp and having to bypass it and stuff to be able to use an aftermarket amp but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what needs to be done.

Also, I'm looking for recommendations on what sub to go with (10" that will fit in the stealth box) and what amp to go with. I'm not looking to spend alot of money or to get a really great setup...I'm just looking for something that will atleast sound as good as a perfectly stock system or maybe a little better.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

bump

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i'm sure someone who has actually done this will have better info....but to get you started... I wouldn't bother putting anything in the sail panels--you won't be missing any sound once you replace them with the sub. I have coaxials in that location (no hatch speakers) and took a long time to get them where they don't annoy me-tweeters are pointed backwards and they are turned down pretty low. I will eventually put speakers back in the hatch and leave the sails empty. As far as adding an amp to the monsoon--and this is where i don't have any actual experience--I would simply tap the hatch speaker leads using the high-line adapter that comes with most amps. They are right there, and this doesn't require anything too involved. Hope this helps! No specific advice on sub/amp combo. Hopefully someone else with the stealth box setup will chime in on that!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks for the info. That looks like a nice setup you have there........one of these days.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

bump

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

All you need is a line out converter if the aftermarket amp doesn't have speaker level inputs. The converter takes the signal from the rear speakers and converts it to rca, so you can hook it to the amp. I think they run between 10 and 20 dollars.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    All you need is a line out converter if the aftermarket amp doesn't have speaker level inputs. The converter takes the signal from the rear speakers and converts it to rca, so you can hook it to the amp. I think they run between 10 and 20 dollars.
    Would I need to go through the amp at all for the regular speakers? I thought I could just get by with running the sub only through the amp.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Would I need to go through the amp at all for the regular speakers? I thought I could just get by with running the sub only through the amp.
    see if i can clarify... He is not suggesting that you power other speakers with the amp, so you are correct-you will be happy with powering only the sub with the amp. He is talking about how to get the music signal to the amp. I suggested tapping into rear speakers using an adapter and input meant for doing this that is included with [I]most[I] amps. He is suggesting using the signal from those same speakers, but by using an adapter that you can buy cheaply from anywhere selling stereo equipment that splices into the speaker leads and turns the high-level (amplified) signal being sent to them from the stock monsoon amp to a line-level (unamplified) signal the your aftermarket sub amp requires via RCA plugs. and actually, i believe this way he suggested is better. I have heard of people having noise issues using the high-level (amplified signal) input on aftermarket amps. I forgot all about that till i read his post. Hope this clears it up, toss any q's you have out there!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Great follow up. I would also run the converter from behind the stereo and run rca's to the rear because I have heard the monsoon amp will distort the signal even more.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I'll help out as much as I can but since the wiring was already run, I'll only be able to tell you what I was able to get out of whats in my car. I recently purchased drivers and pass side stealth sub box and two Rockford Fosgate P310D4 subs from a fairly local person on Ebay for a total of $230. A seperate amp is used to power the subs and the factory amp is not even touched to do this install, it is still used to power factory speakers and that is all. There was a little line out converter behind the monsoon stereo, which the wires tapped into two of the speaker wires coming off the back of the stereo. That converted the signal and sent it down a pair of RCA cables to the amp for the subs. If you would like I can look someday soon for you and get the make/model off from the converter so you can hook up an aftermarket amp. Not sure if this is any clearer than mud, but let me know if you have any questions and i'll try to explain it in more detail once I get home.
    Steve

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

I'm thinking of tossing my 2 12" setup (above is a pic) for 2 10"s in stealth boxes. How do you like your's? While I'm sure I can get quality sound, I'm unsure of volume difference. boxes are surely relatively small to what i have now. Any ideas on how these two setups would compare under the same power (250 watts RMS/piece).

EDIT: Oh yeh--just in case you're curious; only thinking of this as a way to reclaim some rear space and t-top holders. Currently lay them on layed down back seat and they are beginning to wear subtley from this. Would be nice to have that space back there when roof is on too. If I can get similar sound with 'stealth' subs, that would be bad ass--you don't see them but you hear them

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Just pull a signal from the rear spk's, power from the batt & remote from your fuse box.
    Thats how i did a basslink in my mom's camaro & she loves it..

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    I'm thinking of tossing my 2 12" setup (above is a pic) for 2 10"s in stealth boxes. How do you like your's? While I'm sure I can get quality sound, I'm unsure of volume difference. boxes are surely relatively small to what i have now. Any ideas on how these two setups would compare under the same power (250 watts RMS/piece).
    I am actually quite happy with the sound I am getting, even surprised by how much they do put out and I am no where near full power. I have two 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch P3's dual 4 ohm voice coils hooked up at 2 ohms a piece to a 2400 watt Volfenhag amp - I know, most people have probably never heard of it and i'm sure its not a true 2400 watt amp, but it was a dark chrome finish, and I only paid like $125 for it brand new before I went to Iraq. I have the gain set about 1/3 and bass boost set about 1/3, so i'm nowhere near full power. I am still running the factory cd player also, it'll get replaced in the near future, but I keep the bass on the EQ turned down a bit or it is actually quite loud in there.

It really is hard to tell you how surprised I am because I've had setups in the past with two 12's, and these boxes being as small as they are. No where near the room in the box, but I think the part that helps it out is that it now uses the rear storage area as secondary air space to help the sound. Here is how mine looks. I am probably gonna try to build an amp rack because if possible, I would like to make it where I can hide a spare tire behind it. (not sure how well that will fit since I currently do not have a spare as the car didn't come with it) If ya have any questions just ask.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Nice setup, JL sells a box like that for the driver side. Your spare is supposed to be where your box is on the passenger side.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zedicous View Post
    Nice setup, JL sells a box like that for the driver side. Your spare is supposed to be where your box is on the passenger side.
    Thanks.
    Yeah i knew it was supposed to be over there, but since the car didn't have it there when I bought it, I figured I'd go ahead and put a speaker there. I'm thinkin I could build an amp rack that could hide a spare tire behind it, then it would still be out of view but available if I ever need it. I just need to get a spare so I can start work on that at some point in time.

Mystic Magentic Red
    99 C5, 98 Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by stevensmith2000 View Post
    Thanks.
    Yeah i knew it was supposed to be over there, but since the car didn't have it there when I bought it, I figured I'd go ahead and put a speaker there. I'm thinkin I could build an amp rack that could hide a spare tire behind it, then it would still be out of view but available if I ever need it. I just need to get a spare so I can start work on that at some point in time.
    I wasn't sure so i thought i'd mention it, ive had two friends that bought birds and didn't know where the spare was. A spare would be a good ideal, but for all my cars i keep a full size spare at home for them with a non-directional tire on them.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

That's a good idea Zedicous! unfortunately, i take mine on too many longer trips for that to be effective. Now thinking of ditching the backseats--no one rides there anyway! And they can always go back in later down the road if i want them. Build a sub box there, reclaim my t-top holder, and have plenty of storage behind the front seats... mmm..so many ideas and spring right around the corner...

Thread Information