Black
    99 SS clone M6

need help with mystery 99 camaro speaker wiring badly

i got a 99 z28, rpo code on the door label for radio is a UZ7, whis is apparently the monsoon? but the car doesnt have the monsoon setup
    if anyone knows the breakdown for RPO codes to find out exactly what the hell radio this car came with stock would be a big help. right now, the car has a aftermarket sony headunit, 4 Kicker DS65 full range speakers, two in the front door, two in the seat sides, and the stock single 4 inch speakers in the back. This car doesnt have the factory amplifier near the spare tire, i didnt check the other side for an amp.
    the cars factory setup has a single speaker opening in each front door, a single opening in each rear seat side panel, and a single full range 4 inch speaker in the way back. I had a 95 trans am that had the eight speaker, and i remember the far back speakers over the spare tire cover had a seprate tweeter and a midrange, also had a seprate tweeter and mid for the front door.

this is a disaster in the car now because right now the only speakers that produce full range sound are the tiny ones way in the back, the seat side panel speakers have no sound at all, and the front door speakers do produce sound, but they sound awfull, almost like the high and low frequencies are being cutoff.
    the deck has the correct adapter hooked up too it so im assuming i have to bypass every single stock wire and run my own to get normal sound from yet another dumb design from GM. my 95 trans am wasnt this hard, hooked up pioneer full range speakers in the door, disconnected the tweets, and had full range sound.
    Im assuming the 16 year old kid who put 3 vtec and NOS stickers all over the car has something to do with the mess of an audio setup. go figure because the only thing in the entire system that sounds good is the 10 inch MTX thunderform sub and his walmart Lightning audio amp

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The car does have the monsoon system... Camaros only had the 6 speaker setup while the firebird had the 8 or 10 system. The po probably either moved the amp and removed it all together... Honestly theres no telling how he has anything hooked up. Personally I would ruip everything out of the car, go to the store and buy a spool of speaker wire.... Then for now I'd delete the rear hatch speakers and run the front 4 straight off the head unit. If you want to add an amp or run the rear hatch speakers then wire in that accordingly but I would just start over as it sounds like a real mess right now.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

do you know the RPO code that would indicate it came with the monsoon? from what i gather, if it did come with the monsoon, it would have an amp in the right rear above the spare tire, plus, the small 4 inch speakes in the rear hatch area are singles, not with a seperate tweet/mid. i got the UZ7 rpo which didnt tell me if the car had a monsoon system..i guess if it did have the monsoon than there should be 4 wires factory for each front speaker in the door correct??
    i looked at the hookup for the rear seat side speakers and they have two wire hookups, i havnt looked at the door speakers. but like i said, the rear seat side speakers dont have any sound from them.

if i knew the correct Metra or Scosche part number for the radio harness that would help, then ill pull the old one out and make sure all the factory wires are hooked up correctly to the aftermarket deck
    thanks for the reply man.
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    do you know the RPO code that would indicate it came with the monsoon? from what i gather, if it did come with the monsoon, it would have an amp in the right rear above the spare tire, plus, the small 4 inch speakes in the rear hatch area are singles, not with a seperate tweet/mid. i got the UZ7 rpo which didnt tell me if the car had a monsoon system..i guess if it did have the monsoon than there should be 4 wires factory for each front speaker in the door correct??
    i looked at the hookup for the rear seat side speakers and they have two wire hookups, i havnt looked at the door speakers. but like i said, the rear seat side speakers dont have any sound from them.

if i knew the correct Metra or Scosche part number for the radio harness that would help, then ill pull the old one out and make sure all the factory wires are hooked up correctly to the aftermarket deck
    thanks for the reply man.
    I'm not sure of the rpo code but the fact that you have speakers in the trunk is a dead giveaway you have the monsoon option. Cars with standard radios only have the speakers in the front door and sail panel. Also the camaros don't have a separate midrange and tweeter in the back like firebirds do. They have just a single 4" speaker back there with 2 wires on it. The sail panels are supposed to be just 6.5 woofers also with 2 wires. I don't remember what the fronts are like as its been a while since I had mine apart. The monsoon amp should be right by the spare tire area if its not its quite possible that someone removed it.

The adapters can be found at Walmart retry easily as they're largely universal for gm cars. I'd just get one of them and rewire the system how you want it

Black
    99 SS clone M6

hey thanks for the info. I had a 95 t/a non monsoon with a totally different setup. The radio harness is the correct one i think, AWGMH2 or something from autozone. im positive thats the one, uses the one black and one grey connector, and the third one i know is a 9 pin one for the cd changer that was optional.

im gonna ask you this though..the amp in the back, where would it be again? I know it should be right above the spare tire..i dont beleive we saw it, unless its buried in front of it. How big is the amp and how can i find the wiring harness to it??? what im probably gonna have to do to get full range sound from all the speakers is run new wire to the 4 speakers to the deck..it does have a MTX 10" Thunderform sub with a decent cheap ass amp...gotta get a mono sub amp for cheap somewhere, although the one im using now i guess will do. anyways, if you could give me a clue how you guys hook up a deck and aftermarket speakers to a monsoon car, like mine probably came with. that would be sweet. i know theres a thread somewhere on here.
    thanx....

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    hey thanks for the info. I had a 95 t/a non monsoon with a totally different setup. The radio harness is the correct one i think, AWGMH2 or something from autozone. im positive thats the one, uses the one black and one grey connector, and the third one i know is a 9 pin one for the cd changer that was optional.

im gonna ask you this though..the amp in the back, where would it be again? I know it should be right above the spare tire..i dont beleive we saw it, unless its buried in front of it. How big is the amp and how can i find the wiring harness to it??? what im probably gonna have to do to get full range sound from all the speakers is run new wire to the 4 speakers to the deck..it does have a MTX 10" Thunderform sub with a decent cheap ass amp...gotta get a mono sub amp for cheap somewhere, although the one im using now i guess will do. anyways, if you could give me a clue how you guys hook up a deck and aftermarket speakers to a monsoon car, like mine probably came with. that would be sweet. i know theres a thread somewhere on here.
    thanx....
    yes the amp should be right above the spare tire area, as well sd the wiring harness. If its not there someone probably deleted it. if thats the case i would just run 4 speakers to the deck and rewire the system. if the amp is still there then you need to take some things into consideration. te front speakers on the monsoon system are 2 ohm so you need a set of 2 ohm speakers for the front. I answered infinitys which are around 100 bucks and sound pretty damn good. the speakers in the sail panel are just base so I deleted those and just ran a seperate sub and amp. for the rear the speakers are just 4" 4 ohm speakers so I went and picked up a set of those... all in all it sounds really good but one day I may eventually wire in an amp for the speakers and run it that way...

Thread Information