Blue/Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Need help from electronics genius...

New car (for me), 2002 Camaro SS. I ordered a replacement remote key fob and couldn't get it to reprogram. The company sent me another one. They assured me they checked both of them before being shipped. I can't get it to reprogram either.

However, the original remote reprograms perfectly every time it is tried. I can't figure it out, the company that specialized in remote key fobs can't figure it out either.

I got out the owner's manual and just started going through it. I found a section (page 2-20 in my book) on "Feature Customization". It covers "Delayed Illumination", "Last Door Closed Locking", "Lockout Prevention", etc.

I went to the next page, "Entering Programming Mode" to try to customize some of the features. After following the beginning instructions (1-5 of the 6 steps), when I did step 5 ("Turn the ignition toward you to ACCESSORY"), the next step told me to count the number of chimes you hear.

The fact that NO CHIMES sounded off is probably showing me there is a problem that is preventing me from reprogramming any of these features, and it is also preventing me from reprogramming the new remote key fobs???? Why the original remote key fob reprograms is a mystery.

Is there ANYONE out there that might be able to get me on the right path to tracking down the problem? I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Thanks.

Steve Nix

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I am pretty sure you have to pull the radio fuse when you do the programming. If you do a google search I am sure you can find it. When you do it you have to do both remotes.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Are you using these steps? Because, the original fob should be cleared and not work again. Or, I'm not understanding your issue. This worked for me. I had to reprogram the the original to match the new one so I could have two working for my car.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Remove the RADIO fuse.

3. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (as far as you can go without cranking the engine) 3 times within 5 second ending in the RUN position. The vehicle will verify entry into the programming mode by locking then unlocking the door locks.

4. Press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The vehicle will verify programming by locking then unlocking the door locks. Your new remote has been accepted and all existing remote codes have been erased.

5. Repeat the previous step for each additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters). You may program up to 4 transmitters. This must be done before the RADIO fuse is reinstalled.

6. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position. IMPORTANT: The remote keyless entry system will not be operational if the radio fuse is open.

7. Replace the RADIO fuse.

Blue/Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    I am pretty sure you have to pull the radio fuse when you do the programming. If you do a google search I am sure you can find it. When you do it you have to do both remotes.
    There is a "Radio Assy" fuse at the top right of the accessory panel by the driver's entry. That is the fuse I pulled. This past weekend, I checked the panel again, and found a "Radio" fuse at the bottom right of the panel. I pulled that fuse and went through all the steps, and the remote fobs did reprogram, and of course, I reprogrammed the original fob also.

Thanks for your help!

Steve Nix

Thread Information