Thread: Need Help

Airwolf_John

Need Help

I am a new owner of a 1998 Fire Bird V6 and with a factory alarm system. When I first got the car, turning on the parking lights,only turned on the fog lights and rear running lights, but now it pops up the head lights without turning them on. Also now when the head lights go down, the vibrate loudly for several seconds. And also when I arm the car or dearm it, it used to chirp and flash the parking lights, but no also for a split second try to flip the head lights and then back down with the vibrating. What do I need to do? Also I thought on the newer GM cars, when you put the car in drive, the doors auto lock and when you turned off the car, the radio stayed on for awhile till a door was opened, none of this is working in my car??? Please help me someone.

John

greasy-chicken

Arrow Re: Need Help

You might have a bad headlight motor gear. The same thing happened to my car. I would arm the alarm and the headlights would go up and back down and the left one would vibrate madly. Normally only the parking lights would flash. The problem is the computer does not know if the headlight is in the up or down position because the gear is stripped and normally the computer senses the increased resistance of electrical impulse by the headlight resting in the stopped position. With a blown out gear the computer can't detect the position of the headlight.

With that being said you can take out the headlight motor unit and crack it open. Depending on how bad your gear is you can flip it over 180 degrees and use the unused portion of the gear. Or you can do what i did and replace the cheap plastic gear with a brass aftermarket gear. You can find the brass gears online.

As for the headlights going up and down when the alarm is activated or deactivated, i was told the computer is just "freaking out" because of the headlight motor and there is no explanation for it. As soon as i fixed my headlight gear the problem stopped.

john0517
    I have that exact problem... where do you get the part? I was told it would cost between $500 and$1000 to fix the motors. I have just ignored it for yearssss.

JD

john0517
    Ok I guess I am answering myself. I found several web sites and there seems to be a FREE way to fix it. Just use your search engine and you will find a lot of stuff.

JD

greasy-chicken

Arrow parts

You can find the parts online. the address is below..I paid about 70 bucks for two brass gears.

http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/

Thread Information