Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Multiple Amp Wiring Question

I got a 2nd amp and sub for Christmas. I've Googled and searched but no sufficient answer yet.

I'm planning on using a fused distribution block to power the two amps. Question: should the distribution block and heavier gauge cable be run back into the well with the amps or should the block/fuse be closer to the battery? It makes sense for the block to be closer to the amps to get the least amount of power loss through the thicker, more efficient cable but what about the fuse? Wiring kits always recommend the fuse be installed as close as possible to the battery.

Also, do the power cables from the distribution block to the amps themselves still need inline fuses?

Should the two amps be grounded to the same point? I've read one recommendation saying to wire everything to the same spot to minimize noise interference and anther recommending you wire them close together but not in the exact same spot.

Thanks for y'all's help.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

fuse for amp kit close to battery. dist block, by the amps. the block should have inline fuses. mine did anyway. i grounded mine on different sides. keeping the wires the same length. but i put my amps in the rear seat. check a few threads under this one.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

sgt has everything right. I would recommend grounds to same point so u dont have a chance for ground loop noise(engine noise). Also make sure your rca's are run down the opposite side of power wire or they can pick up engine noise as well(all depends on how well rcas are sheilded but rather be safe then sorry)

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by Jetblak View Post
    sgt has everything right. I would recommend grounds to same point so u dont have a chance for ground loop noise(engine noise). Also make sure your rca's are run down the opposite side of power wire or they can pick up engine noise as well(all depends on how well rcas are sheilded but rather be safe then sorry)
    Shielding in RCA cables will do nothing for an automotive installation. RCA cables that use twisted pair construction are what you want. And believe me, the whole RCA's next to power cords is a no-no is a lot of BS. It isn't anywhere near the problem that a lot of the so called "experts" say it is.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Cool. Thanks guys. I got it all wired up. Heavy gauge power wire into the trunk well and a distribution block with fuses then the smaller power wires to the amps. No noise interference. Sounds so much better with the sub...

Thread Information