Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Firebird

MP3 Player Question

Has anyone tried hooking up an MP3 player using the factory radio in a 2002 Firebird or Camaro? I've looked through the most recent threads but didn't see anything. Thanks in advance!

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 550hpbird View Post
    Has anyone tried hooking up an MP3 player using the factory radio in a 2002 Firebird or Camaro? I've looked through the most recent threads but didn't see anything. Thanks in advance!
    Not sure about hooking it up, but most mp3's have a fm/am attachment that you can tune your radio to for your mp3 player and play it that way. Good luck

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

just did a quick look up of this...i know i have cheaper one in the favorites on my laptop (which is currently in the shop) but this link will let you know there is stuff out there that will allow you to do so
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...g=50900&tp=422

Black
    2002 Firebird

Thanks to all. I've tried the FM converter and the reception is less than acceptable. I was hoping for a solution that I could plug in directly to the factory radio (either in the front or rear of the unit).

If there is no solution to installing an MP3 player in the existing Monsoon system what is the best after market stereo unit that has a MP3 plug in on the face of the unit?

JR

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i didnt wanna mess with fm modulators either...thats where i found a mod for the stock stereo, where you put an headphone aux jack in the front of your stereo and run a cord to it and your stereo...i cant remember for the life of me where i found it, but i remember it was really simple to do...cost like 3.80 in parts from radioshack to do, and it was flawless...ill keep my eyes open for that mod again and post it up for ya

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i posted this like a week ago, but am too lazy to look it up so:
    i and my g/f had this same problem--we both have mp3s and were not satisfied with the fm transmitter option. Mine has an alpine deck, and if you decide to replace your cd player there are lots of adapters made that will plug directly into the new cd player as an auxilary. My g/f however has a completely stock stereo that she didn't want to mess with. The guy that i buy my stereo equipment from showed me a the piece that i used to connect hers. It is an fm modulator, but does not transmit over the air. Rather, you install the box behind the dash and connect it to switched power. You then run a stereo plug/RCA cable from the box to where the MP3 player will be. You disconnect the fm antenna from the radio and connect it to the box. The box then plugs into the radio via the radio fm antenna input. A switch is then mounted to turn the box on and off; and since its on an ignition switched power source it is also off when you leave the car. When the power to the box is on, it plays the mp3 player through a specified frequency through the antenna wire and not through the air with no interference. The box must be turned off with the switch to allow reception through the fm antenna. She is very happy with it; and the quality is much much better than any transmitter i've heard. It is still modulated and not as good as a direct aux link, but acceptable and the best option i've seen with a stock radio. Audiovox made this particular unit and it was very easy to install--came with everything you need-switch and all. Did it in the g/f's car and her sisters with no probs. $40. Sorry for the long post--hope this helps. If you decide to do it and need more specific help on the install please pm me and don't pay someone a rediculous amount of money to jack with your car!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...l.do?oid=80974

here it is...a little higher than i paid, but i wasn't at circuit city so look around

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Subscribed. I finally got a MP3 player and will need to do this also. I don't want to mess with FM crap either.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...l.do?oid=80974

here it is...a little higher than i paid, but i wasn't at circuit city so look around
    There has to be a cheaper less parts way of doing it.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    There has to be a cheaper less parts way of doing it.
    Maybe for ours...never looked for monsoon specifically--there wasn't for hers, her cd changer is in dash so no inputs on the deck. Was a changer optional with the monsoon? If so there may be an adapter made to plug into it. The only one of these i have experience with was for an Accord and cost like $70 i think it was, and the install was relatively involved also (wasn't a simple plug and play; there was a box involved with it too)

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

There was an optional CD changer so there should be something for our cars. I havn't looked yet as I just got my MP3 player this last weekend.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

found this: http://www.installationproducts.com/...2&category=149

but is still pricey and not much difference i can see...

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I didn't want to mess with that FM momdulator crap either. So...I just went with Alpine's CDA-9855. Plus, I wanted to be able to control my iPod from the deck.

I haven't had ONE single problem with the deck or with the iPod connection to the deck.

Very satisfied...

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

hopefully someone comes up with something better! I'll let ya'll know if i come across anything. I'm afraid it may not get any cheaper or easier than that though, since that Accord i mentioned had the changer input and the adapter cost 70 and still had some wiring and box-mounting involved.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i'm with you cobrahunter--have a 6 or so year old alpine that i have loved since new--on its 3rd car now. When i get a new one, it most likey will be another alpine. but i understand that not everyone wants to go that route. Also, are these Ipods that everyone has or 'other' brands? Mine is a Sansa so no control-with-deck options to deal with. Purely an audio signal issue for me and others i've had experience with.

Nice setup by the way cobra--would love to put the player in the glove box!
    Last edited by 02WS6dream; 02-18-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: forgot the props!

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I hate Microsoft, but I got the 80 Gig Zune player. I wanted a FM tuner.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i am still no fan of the ipod. Love my little sansa--with fm tuner. Get unlimited tunes from rhapsody for 15/month with no .99/track business and no more wonder-what-file-i'm-downloading business either. Just wish aftermarket would make things like that interface cobra's got for the other manufacturers.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I have to do a hack on my Zune for I can drag and drop files. I hate the Zune software so far.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

you are obviously more talented in that area than I my friend... There will be no hacks performed on mp3 players here

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

It's just a software update from a non-Microsoft site. Thought I'd do it before my 30 days are up in case things go bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information