Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP3 Player

SamD_Ind

Black
    2000 Trans Am

MP3 Player

Have a 2000 TA with the stock Monsoon system. Does anyone know how to hook up a MP3 player to it? Yes I did a search.
    thanks
    Sam

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I don't think its something that can be done on the stock stereo. I have an aftermarket Alpine unit, and theres just no hookup for it. You may be able to hardwire it, but its probably more trouble than its worth.

You're best bet is to just get an aftermarket headunit. Thats what I'm going to do, I found a nice one for $120, its CD player with a 2 step motorized face, LCD display, 220 Watts and it has the MP3 player hookup called the "i Plug". Its made by Dual Electronics, all you need is a $4 audio cable from Walmart and you're set.

Heres a pic:

The model number is Dual XD7600, they have them at most electronics stores.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Wesman; 05-26-2006 at 07:03 AM.

Impounded

HAY FROM rocky123_2

have a nice deal to see.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

some radios come mp3 ready. you can put 150 songs or so on a cd, "file" wise, and play them straight on the radio.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704
    some radios come mp3 ready. you can put 150 songs or so on a cd, "file" wise, and play them straight on the radio.
    Almost all the new Headunits on the market have the ability to play "MP3 CD's" as you said, but most do not have a hookup to plug in an actual MP3 player directly.

The Dual Reciever I posted above has both features

Pewter

MP3 Player Adapter

Check out usaspec.com they make several adapters for factory radios. Most connect thru the external CD changer port.

You can also check out Chrutchfield to see what they have. Their database and product selection is pretty good.

I just bought an iPOD adapter that connects directly to the Monsoon head unit. I haven't installed it yet, but I will try to document for reference.

Ill let you know how it works out.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

What your looking for is an FM modulator that will work on ANY radio made. It simply plugs into your MP3 player or whatever your trying to hook up to your stockHU and it transmits the signal through your radio via an unused radio station. Very simple and it costs about $19.99 to $29.99 depending where you buy it. No offense but stay away from anything Dual makes or Sony, Pyramid, Pyle, Lanzar, etc. Sony is trying to make a comeback so we'll see but the rest have a ton of cool looks but the internal electronics are garbage. You pay for what you get. Don't get me wrong..they LOOK very cool. Put any of those brands next to an Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. and the difference is abruptly noticeable. I know you think you can't afford an Alpine, you can afford an an Alpine or equivelant for $120.00 and it will play MP3's without needing any external wires cause it's an MP3 deck as are most decks now. Prime example is I just found a Alpine CDE-9846 $144.00 with shipping brand new in box. Which one would you rather have a Dual or an Alpine that has superior signal processing and quality preamp outputs. A used quality brand is better than a new cheap brand any day. Get your Fm modulator and be done with it till your ready to get a quality deck and redo the entire Monsoon system the right way!! Good luck!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Dead
    What your looking for is an FM modulator that will work on ANY radio made. It simply plugs into your MP3 player or whatever your trying to hook up to your stockHU and it transmits the signal through your radio via an unused radio station. Very simple and it costs about $19.99 to $29.99 depending where you buy it. No offense but stay away from anything Dual makes or Sony, Pyramid, Pyle, Lanzar, etc. Sony is trying to make a comeback so we'll see but the rest have a ton of cool looks but the internal electronics are garbage. You pay for what you get. Don't get me wrong..they LOOK very cool. Put any of those brands next to an Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. and the difference is abruptly noticeable. I know you think you can't afford an Alpine, you can afford an an Alpine or equivelant for $120.00 and it will play MP3's without needing any external wires cause it's an MP3 deck as are most decks now. Prime example is I just found a Alpine CDE-9846 $144.00 with shipping brand new in box. Which one would you rather have a Dual or an Alpine that has superior signal processing and quality preamp outputs. A used quality brand is better than a new cheap brand any day. Get your Fm modulator and be done with it till your ready to get a quality deck and redo the entire Monsoon system the right way!! Good luck!!
    I actually have an FM modulator, and its nothing to brag about. It only works well about 20% of the time I use it, the rest of the time it either goes static and gets interference, or the batteries are dead.

A plug-in wired MP3 player input is the only way to go. As for Alpine making superior quality headunits, I have an Alpine in my car right now, and I'm rather dissapointed by it. It looks cheap, the controls feel cheap, it doesn't play burned or MP3 CD's, and its confusing as hell to use. Not to mention it gets terrible FM reception. I'm not big into stereos, but I'd rather take a decent quality, feature packed model than an expensive "top quality" brand that looks worse and doesn't have the features I want.

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Here's what you're looking for

Hey .. this is what you need hands down. I bought this IPOD interface about a month ago and it has been working great. I tried the FM modulator and was very disappointed with the loss of sound quality. Basically, if you have the monsoon system with the factory 12 CD changer, this component hooks up directly in the back of the head unit and gives CD quality. It's well worth the money.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aVZ9LkJ...display=XL#Tab

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bjoneill98
    Basically, if you have the monsoon system with the factory 12 CD changer, this component hooks up directly in the back of the head unit and gives CD quality.
    Does this require the changer for some reason? Or just the port for the changer? (I'm assuming all Monsoons come with the port)
    Last edited by TransAMrit; 06-04-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    I actually have an FM modulator, and its nothing to brag about. It only works well about 20% of the time I use it, the rest of the time it either goes static and gets interference, or the batteries are dead.
    You have a crappy modulator then. I don't use one now but i have used them in the past as have my friends and have never seen one fail to work. the only problem is the sound quality suffers a tad using one. Then again if you are worried about high fidelity sound just get a betteer head unit!

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAMrit
    Does this require the changer for some reason? Or just the port for the changer? (I'm assuming all Monsoons come with the port)
    You just need the port. If you have an AUX button on the head unit, you have the port.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

they make Ipod interfaces where you can actually control it from our stock headunits...

but I seriously suggest going aftermarket... if you're looking for a temporary fix, get a good tape adapter from Circuit City, (not radioshack, as their $10 is VERY poorly designed.)

I've been using a Sony-Brand tape adapter for several months, and you get a TAD of static when you crank the volume with the ipod turned down, but nothing big.... it's worlds better than the FM modulators...

on that note they also make a GENERIC aux input for our stock headunits... I believe it will delete the stock cd changer though...

Black
    99 SS

my buddy has thie thing he plugs into the MP3 player and sets it to like 88.3 fm and it just transmits it right from the MP3 over the radio to the headunit that simple. and works great nothing to plug in or anything

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    my buddy has thie thing he plugs into the MP3 player and sets it to like 88.3 fm and it just transmits it right from the MP3 over the radio to the headunit that simple. and works great nothing to plug in or anything
    um...

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Dead
    What your looking for is an FM modulator that will work on ANY radio made....

I actually have an FM modulator, and its nothing to brag about...

Quote Originally Posted by bjoneill98
    I tried the FM modulator and was very disappointed with the loss of sound quality...

Quote Originally Posted by kemp
    the only problem is the sound quality suffers a tad using one...

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

The only type of FM modulator that's any good is one that plugs in-line with the car antenna and can be played through the radio. Anything not sending through the wire, ie actually transmitting the radio signal, is going to have a lot more noise... I've tried a few of them on a few cars, and the quality really varies way to much - but at best, it's "not bad". Other times, you just can't stand to listen to it.

Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28

Honestly .. you have to try USA Spec IPOD Interface that I linked above. The sound quality is way better than those FM transmitters and tape deck bs combined. You can control everything from the deck .. it's sweet. Costly .. but worth it.

Pewter

Just installed the USA Spec interface - have pictures

I just installed the USA SPEC iPOD interface in my sons 2001 Camaro. It works great! Took about 2 hours, no cutting, soldering and very little cursing.

I took pictures and documented the install if anyone wants to see it. Send me an email at jsdomino@msn.com and I will mail you the file (Adobe PDF).

PS: I also installed (later that day) a Pioneer CD-IB100 interface in an '89 Grand Marquis with a Pioneer DEH-P460MP Head unit. This also works well, but we did have to solder and cut wires. I did'nt bother to document it cause by this time I knew what I was doing.

Both are great improvement over RF interfaces.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Almost all the new Headunits on the market have the ability to play "MP3 CD's" as you said, but most do not have a hookup to plug in an actual MP3 player directly.

The Dual Reciever I posted above has both features
    Any of them with a Aux input such as 90% of the Kenwoods will work with an external MP3 player. You just need to run a cord and enable the AUX input. It was initially designed for a DVD player to be added, but it works fine with a MP3 player.

The Pioneers (new) have a jack in the face of them that allow you to plug in directly. You just have to have a male to male wire. It's under the lip so you have to look for it.

I have two different brands of the modulators they are talking about, but I only use them in rental cars, and work vehicles without a CD player etc. They are fine for that, but the sound quality isn't too great.
    Last edited by sidonsbones; 06-11-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jsdomino
    PS: I also installed (later that day) a Pioneer CD-IB100 interface in an '89 Grand Marquis with a Pioneer DEH-P460MP Head unit. This also works well, but we did have to solder and cut wires.
    can you describe what you mean by 'well?'

because these units are known to flat-out suck.

I just installed the CD-IB100II on my DEH-P980BT (yeah the flagship,) and it's one of the most aggrevating experiences ever. I read a bunch of reviews that said that all the new headunits with the new adapters would work great... so either they used to REALLY suck, or people's expectations are REALLY low...

when you open any list of songs, from a playlist or wherever, you have to spin the knob on the deck to scroll through the list... the fastest you can POSSIBLY scroll is about 3-5 songs a second... this also causes no titles to show on the headunit because the adapter cannot keep up....

be ready to make a bunch of playlists... and also it's a huge pain just to play ALL your songs in a random order... on the actual ipod, you just go to shuffle songs, on the pioneer, you have to go into shuffle mode, then go to 'Artists', then click on 'ALL'... so 3 more steps than the ipod itself...

lastly, it takes about 1 second for the song name to show up when you are jumping from song-to-song, (an mp3-cd is instantaneous,) which means that the display will return to the visualization about .3 seconds after the title actually shows up on the display...

very weak if you ask me, but since it allows me to leave my ipod in my locked glove box, I will keep it.

so if you think you will be able to find an artist that starts with the letter K, you can pretty much forget it... it would take over FIVE MINUTES to scroll to that artist... there is no method of jumping 10 songs at a time, or 'searching'... you can really only browse, and extremely slow at that...

at least it was only $50, because the first-generation box was $99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information