98 Formula
    06 duramax

mounting depth question on speakers....

I'm replacing the speakers in my camper with 4 polk audio 6.5's. They mount in the ceiling and with the insulation there's a limited amount of space up there. I would say 2" is about as deep as I'd want to go. I can push the insulation all the way up and measure 2.5" to the mounting surface but I don't want it to be that tight.
    Anyhow, I'm looking at these polk audio's and there's a regular version and a slim version. Looking at the specs though the top mount distance is shorter on the regular version?? I don't get it. Top mount is if you're dropping into a hole right and bottom mount is if you're coming from underneath such as from a trunk into the back dash? Why would the slims be listed as a deeper top mount and the same bottom mount over the regular? I think I can fit either speaker though but that has me stumped.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301510648&sr=8-1"]Regular mount[/ame]
    top mount depth: 1.63"
    bottom mount: 2.31"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Slim-Mount-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0NJPS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301511061&sr=8-4"]Slim mount[/ame]
    top mount depth: 2"
    bottom mount: 2.31"

The regular mounts are supposed to perform a little better but the slim mounts are marine grade and have free shipping.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

That is odd. I would go with the slim. Marine grade should last a long time in the camper. I have the regular in 2 cars and happy with the sound.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the camper has 4 in the ceiling. I don't see the need for marine in there myself. If the speakers won't last due to moisture then the LCD tv, stereo/dvd player, microwave, and crap like that won't last either.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

True. Especially since you aren't saving any space with them.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

6.5 's aren't going to produce alot of bass so I would think as long as the magnet isn't touching anything you will be golden IMHO.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    6.5 's aren't going to produce alot of bass so I would think as long as the magnet isn't touching anything you will be golden IMHO.
    it came with 5".....now that's some hi fidelity shit right there. I'm gonna add a bass tube to it at some point which should pick it up nicely. It's not like I go camping to listen to some tunes really, I just open the door on the truck usually, but the kids and sometimes me watch a movie here and there. Want it to sound decent when we do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I also did an about face on the speakers. I went with pioneer 6.5's (Pioneer TS-G1643R). On paper they look good but I expect them to perform average which is all I really need. 30hz-28khz and 90db sensitivity. Hard to argue at $36 shipped and like I said before, I'm not going camping to rock out some tunes. I just wanted something that sounded halfway decent and I think those will do. Shade over $70 shipped for 2 sets....add a powered sub and it'll rock good enough for what I'll be needing it for.
    The stock stereo/dvd player is a jensen double din that almost looks like it was made specifically for campers. Has 3 channels so I can control each set of speakers seperately (has outdoor speakers). So it's not like I can really do much with that unless I replace the whole thing and I'm not willing to do all that.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I also did an about face on the speakers. I went with pioneer 6.5's (Pioneer TS-G1643R). On paper they look good but I expect them to perform average which is all I really need. 30hz-28khz and 90db sensitivity. Hard to argue at $36 shipped and like I said before, I'm not going camping to rock out some tunes. I just wanted something that sounded halfway decent and I think those will do. Shade over $70 shipped for 2 sets....add a powered sub and it'll rock good enough for what I'll be needing it for.
    The stock stereo/dvd player is a jensen double din that almost looks like it was made specifically for campers. Has 3 channels so I can control each set of speakers seperately (has outdoor speakers). So it's not like I can really do much with that unless I replace the whole thing and I'm not willing to do all that.
    I think the cheaper speakers will be fine with a powered sub- like you said.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I think the cheaper speakers will be fine with a powered sub- like you said.
    I do too.....if I were wanting something for quality listening I would go a different route but that's not what I'm going for here. Hell, all 4 speakers are in the ceiling about 8' apart....not like you can get great sound with that anyhow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

now onto my next dilemma......they speakers are black. Everything else in the ceiling is white. I'm thinking about painting the speaker grills white to blend in a little but painting plastic can come out pretty shitty so I'm not sure what to do there. I'm also worried how the paint will work on the speaker grills..

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

They have plastic paint for interiors at the auto stores. Another option is Radio Shack. They have metal speaker grills.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    They have plastic paint for interiors at the auto stores. Another option is Radio Shack. They have metal speaker grills.
    as far as the grills I'm more worried about how the paint will do on the mesh part of the grill. I guess I could go back with something and poke holes through everything that fills in but not sure the quality would look that great. I'm going to mount them up today or tomorrow in black to see how they look and if I don't like them I'll try painting them.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you do several light coats you should be fine. When it is wet you could blow some air over them to push the paint through if it does clog them up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    If you do several light coats you should be fine. When it is wet you could blow some air over them to push the paint through if it does clog them up.
    dats a good idea.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

got the speakers put in last night. Just as I expected....average at best. They actually sound best with the "loud" button off and I think with a bass tube they'll work nicely. I just have to figure out where to put the tube and how I want to run the wires. Ideally I'd like to put it under the couch but there's a cabinet directly below the radio that would make wiring it up much easier.

Thread Information