more i read the more confused i get

All i want to do is replace my door speakers in my pontiac transam with monsoon system. i have stock speakers and hu but they are crackly and going out. From what i have read everyone uses infinity 62.7i as replacements....my question is if the pontiac owners are using the factory tweeter or the infinity? how does that work.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

from my understanding, they get the component speakers. so they replace the tweeters too.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    All i want to do is replace my door speakers in my pontiac transam with monsoon system. i have stock speakers and hu but they are crackly and going out. From what i have read everyone uses infinity 62.7i as replacements....my question is if the pontiac owners are using the factory tweeter or the infinity? how does that work.
    I replaced mine with Kicker ... I bought the seperates so the Mids came with tweeters and a crossover ... I would do some research and see what you come up with I didnt want to go with the same old speakers that everone else did ... not to say that Infinitys are just "same ole speakers"!

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

You don't have to have to get rid of the factory tweeter unless you want to. It has a completley different set of inputs. The Infinitys come with crossover (that I suggest using) that you connect inline from the original mids input and connects to the Infinity woofer and tweeter independently.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

the monsoon allready has done all the cross over for you, all you need to do is pull the wire from the stock tweets and plug that into the Infinity's tweeter input, then plug the stock mid wire into the mid input. bolt it up and you're done. Leave the stock tweeter in its current location, or take it out, as it doesn't matter any more.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

3rd shift, I tried it like that and you are right it works but I wanted to make sure so I did it as described above and got better results. I don't think that the monsoon settings are ideal for the infinity speakers which is why the results are better with the crossover. The mids sound a little better plus, now I get twice the highs (in two different ranges). Yes, the infinity tweeter still kick out the highs.

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN View Post
    I replaced mine with Kicker ... I bought the seperates so the Mids came with tweeters and a crossover ... I would do some research and see what you come up with I didnt want to go with the same old speakers that everone else did ... not to say that Infinitys are just "same ole speakers"!
    So are your kickers made for a 2 ohm load? do they sound pretty crisp? i guess any 6.5 componet would fit its just all about finding which one is most efficent with the monsoon amp?

Thread Information