'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

To Monsoon or Not to Monsoon. . .

I'm getting ready to replace the door speakers in my '02 coupe. The radio is not a Monsoon - just the standard stereo / cd player radio. I found the speakers I want from Crutchfield, and I thought that while I'm at it, maybe I'll replace the radio too - there are a few issues with it. IE: It turns itself on for no reason, or it will decide on its own to select CD mode, etc., etc.

I found a number of radios on E-Bay, many are Monsoon radios. So, the question is, can I replace the standard radio with a Monsoon unit without installing the associated amp, etc. and expect it to work like a standard non-Monsoon unit ?

I know I could replace the entire head unit etc. with an after-market unit, but I'd like to keep the car as original as possible. I suppose I could also just by another standard radio, but if the Monsoon will work, that enlarges my E-Bay options and choices.

Thanx in advance to the collective.

Rip

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

The key to your question is that a Monsoon system is all about the Amp. The factory head unit that says Monsoon is exactly the same as the factory head unit that does not say Monsoon. If your system connects to the Monsoon amp then you have a Monsoon system. Oh, and the wiring for the speakers for a Monsoon system are a bit different from a regular system. Makes replacing the speakers a pain in the butt and limits your choices.

My advice, now is the time to upgrade your system using an aftermarket head unit, speakers, and amp. In the end you'll be happier and have a lot more flexibility to do what you want with it including iPod interface and the ability to read other format CDs.

I don't know what Ipods are, or what formatting other CD's would do,,,that's way over my head.

But to back to Ripinator's question,,,,yes you can use the monsoon radio in your car even if you don't have the option, so that should open up your choices. You just don't have the amp,,,but if I remember right you can add the amp easily, as the car is equipped with the wiring.
    You can also easily add the optional 12 disc changer, I know for a fact that wiring is already in every car, changer or not, and every head unit is capable of operating the 12 disc changer.

You might run into head units however that have issues. My wifes car had an aftermarket setup, and like you I wanted the factory monsoon head unit back in the car. The first one I bought wouldn't allow me to use all the steering wheel buttons, 2 or 3 of them were inop.
    I bought another monsoon head unit to try, and all the steering wheel buttons worked with this one. So sometimes you get a fluke. But I was finding them for $20-$30 locally, can't complain.

That's another reason to keep the factory head unit,,,without it the steering wheel buttons become useless. I don't like having an option on the car that doesn't work. Goodluck.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Look into JLs 6 Channel Amp, not too pricey for what it is and you could run all your speakers through it. Some people like the monsoon, personally i am not a fan of it. And like said the speaker choices are minimal with the monsoon.

You could always get a head unit with steering wheel interface compatibility and use the PAC hard wire adapter, that's what i run and i love it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Swap the head unit and put the stocker in a box and save it. Then add an amp and a stealth sub and call it a day. If you want to sell the car eventually just take out all the crap you put in and put the stocker back in.
    I bought 2 amps, and 4 door speakers back in 2004 for an 02 dodge ram and have used them on 3 different trucks. They now reside in my 98 Tahoe. Only thing I have had to change is the sub box. Eveery time I get rid of them I spend a day and Uninstall the stuff and put stock stuff back in. I take all the wire and everything so no one knows the difference.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have a silly question. Have you checked to see if the stock amp is still back there? Maybe it was just bypassed when the new head unit was installed

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Thanx alot to all who chimed in on my question. I was hoping I could use both a Monsoon and non-Monsoon head units. . .

And yes. I checked for the presence of the Monsoon amp ( right rear fender area behind the interior trim), and nothing was there. I also looked for the amp wiring, but could not find it either. If the Monsoon amp wiring is in the car soemwhere, it is hidden pretty well.

So, I guess I'll troll the net now and see what I can find.

Thanx again to everyone who responded to my question. I'll let you all know how it all turns out. . .

Rip

Thread Information