Monsoon Head - No Sounds from CD Changer

Help, please? My '99 TA has the Monsoon unit (with tape deck) and a CD changer in the trunk. The radio works, the changer plays CDs, but I can't get the sound piped through. I've tried pressing Tape twice and a bunch of other things. Long ago it worked, and I doubt anyone has messed with the audio system since.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I assume you can't get sound only from the changer. I would pull the cables, and blow all the connections out with compressed air, and put it back together. If it is showing in the display that it is playing, you should have sound. Might be a good idea to take it to an electronics shop and have them clean it. They could probably spot something inside the changer. You know, if it's burnt.

A reply - thanks. It shows a CD is playing in the remote that comes with the changer. (I also hear the changer firing up.) The Monsoon unit gives no indication I'm trying to use the changer. Does that make a difference? So pressing Tape/Play twice is supposed to switch to the changer when something is playing?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Is this factory? Or is it a fm modulated changer? I have no idea how your controls work.

Ah, changers can be hooked up through the antenna? Then that might be the problem. I didn't install it, I don't know much about cars - I'll have to take it to a shop.

You have an aftermarket changer in the back?? If so, can't help ya.

I can tell you as far as the factory changers go,,,when I had issues of them not working, it was the head unit. I've had a couple of them do that.

Changer comes on, cycles the CD's,,,then won't play. Error shows on the head unit. Changed the head unit, all was fine.
    I've also had these head units act goofy with the steering wheel controls. I had a couple of buttons that quit working, one was the "play" button that turns the CD changer on. The other was volume.
    Turned out it wasn't anything to do with the steering wheel buttons. It was the head unit. Replaced it and all was fine.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have a monsoon head unit w cd in the garage

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Aftermarket changers usually use an FM modulator. It works buy having a little box from the changer connected to the antenna going into the head unit. Typically you have to tune the radio to a specific channle in order to here what the changer is playing. The channel info is on the box that connects to the antenna. start switching through the stereo channels.
    Last edited by JaycenK; 01-21-2011 at 07:28 AM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I have the factory Monsoon with tape player in the head and the 12 disk CD changer in the trunk in my 98. You have to push the "AUX" button on the head unit to have the CD changer play.

There is no "AUX" button Either a senior member just made a typo, or maybe some Birds are different. Mine has just a "Tape" button. I'll check for a box near the antenna.

Jim is right, I have a tape deck version here with an AUX button as well, and the car it came out of had a factory CD changer in the rear. We had to press that button to activate the changer.

Our current 4th gens have the CD head unit, and that button says CD/AUX on it as well. We also have to depress that button to activate the factory changers.

I'm too lazy to search through your posts to find out the year of your Bird - what is it? Mine, without "AUX," is a 1999. That being said, I got it working. Google told me the brand's CD changer tunes to some unlisted frequency, I put on a disc on play, and eventually tuned to the right station. Weird discovery: there's also a Delco player in back which seems disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    I'm too lazy to search through your posts to find out the year of your Bird - what is it? Mine, without "AUX," is a 1999. That being said, I got it working. Google told me the brand's CD changer tunes to some unlisted frequency, I put on a disc on play, and eventually tuned to the right station. Weird discovery: there's also a Delco player in back which seems disconnected.
    My cassette deck with AUX is from our 97 Z that was totalled.

Tune to a station to make it work??? You must have some sort of aftermarket changer or something then.

Yeah, aftermarket, which isn't powered from the antenna. I wasn't direct about that.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I know my wife’s zune just broadcasts on a set frequency and you tune to that station. No pluging it into the radio antenna. Didn't know they did that with changers now as well. Used to be it was just a plugin adapter to the radio antenna and tune to a station.

Thread Information