Thread: Monsoon...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro SS

Monsoon...

Hello everyone, I have a 98 z with the factory monsoon, it has a cassette deck with a 12 pack cd changer in the rear. Each time I try to put in a cd the deck reads error, I have tried to clean the cd changer with a cd cleaner a no luck. My question is if it is possible to just replace the cassette player and install another monsoon cd player, I realize that the rear cd changer may not work, will this affect the amp as well? Thanks in advance...

pretty sure the wiring harness' are the same between the cassette and cd player. i'm thinking there's a diagram available in the back of the owners manual, but i don't have one handy to check and see for sure.

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Kinda of a stupid question, but you are putting your cds in upside down in the 12 disc right. Mine will read error if i put them in wrong.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z-28Camaro View Post
    Kinda of a stupid question, but you are putting your cds in upside down in the 12 disc right. Mine will read error if i put them in wrong.
    that's what i was going to say... make sure the label side is down. took me a few days to figure that one out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro SS

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! That is exactly what I was doing wrong...It's a good thing I asked you guys for help because I was very close to buying a used one from a 98 cadillac(apparently they are both the same for camaros and caddys).Thanks again!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Wow, thats odd...you have to put the CD's in upside down??

I've never actually been able to use my 12 Disc changer, or my steering wheel controls, since I got the car with an aftermarket stereo in it.

Anyone know if its possible to hook up the 12 CD changer to an aftermarket headunit??

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Yeah, it is odd. I took me a while to figure it out. I don't know how to do it, but I am sure it can be done. You have steering wheel controls? That would be nice to have.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z-28Camaro View Post
    Yeah, it is odd. I took me a while to figure it out. I don't know how to do it, but I am sure it can be done. You have steering wheel controls? That would be nice to have.
    Yea, they would be awesome if I could actually get them to work.

I remember reading something about an aftermarket harness that allowed you to use the steering wheel controls with aftermarket headunits, but it was complicated and rather expensive.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

WHAT kind of aftermarket hu did you get? if you got one that reads mp3's it eliminates the need for a cd changer. or if you got a dvd player you can put about 1000 songs on 1 disk..

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    WHAT kind of aftermarket hu did you get? if you got one that reads mp3's it eliminates the need for a cd changer. or if you got a dvd player you can put about 1000 songs on 1 disk..
    I just bought a Dual CD770, it plays MP3's, WMA's, ect, and has an input for an MP3 player as well. Its more convienant than the CD changer, I was just curious about making use of the 12 disc changer sitting in the back taking up room

redline07
    I also have a dual cd770 however i dont have the faceplate for it, b/c it was stolen, anybody know where i can get a replacement?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by redline07 View Post
    I also have a dual cd770 however i dont have the faceplate for it, b/c it was stolen, anybody know where i can get a replacement?
    Call Dual or go on their website - dualelectronics.com - you should be able to order a replacement directly through them.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Funny, I put them in backwards also and right about the time I decided to upgrade my hu I figured out they were upside down.

Thread Information