Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

A.M. band line noise

Hey all,

I have a 2002 Trans Am WS-6 6m equipped with the Monsoon 10 speaker 500watt system and 12 disk remote C.D. changer and steering wheel controlls. that is having A.M. noise problems (yeah, I know, who listens to A.M. .... ME!!)

As a point of refference, my wifes Celica GT's A.M. reception is prefect, but in the same areas , I get al lot of line noise and (mostly) can't pick local A.M. stations up. When I can pick it up, theres a lot of static that seems to be line noise. When the ignition is off, or I am not using power accessories (power seat, windows, defogger, etc. ), the line noise is reduced. My F.M. bands are fine. My local audio shop put an amplified A.M./F.M. antennae and a y-connecter to the head unit (so both antenae can help reception) and it didnt do anything. We had the radios tuner tested and was fine. We then tried using an in line noise filter that did nothing to reduce the noise, even worse it had the radio on a "hot" circuit all the time and I had to turn the radio off after turning the ignition off and removing the key after opeing the door,(so I had them remove it after a day).

Now apprantly ,before I owned the car, the car had some aftermarket equipment in the trunk (probably an amp I guess) noted by the blue and red wires I removed from the trunk up to the drivers kick panel. The audio shop that this had little relevance to my problem. I really like to keep up on the news on the way to and fro class and Id rather not buy a portable radio to put in the passenger seat to do it. Does anyone have any insight on how I may beat this problem?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Anybody?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

If you've had all that checked out and it's not a wiring or antenna problem, beats me

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Sounds like you have a short or a open somewhere. You are going to have to check almost every connection. I would check the alt and battery area first. I would check to make sure you got everything around the kick panel etc. Do the plugs have the shields and good boots. IMO there are so many things it could be it will be a process of elimination. No clue how the previous owner installed the aftermarket stuff. Some people to the install correct. Others just hack and install.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Also check the plug wires. Some will have higher emi interference. This could be why it gets better with the car off. And like said check all grounds and battery connections.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Sounds like you have a short or a open somewhere. You are going to have to check almost every connection. I would check the alt and battery area first. I would check to make sure you got everything around the kick panel etc. Do the plugs have the shields and good boots. IMO there are so many things it could be it will be a process of elimination. No clue how the previous owner installed the aftermarket stuff. Some people to the install correct. Others just hack and install.
    Thanks. It had the factory wires on it all the way up till 75k , as were the plugs. I replaced them with factory plugs (the T.S.B. updated Iridiums) and thats been 7k since ('82k now). Its been doing this before the plugs and wiring change and after. I even put wire looms on the plug wires to try to keep heat out of them as well, so they don't come into contact with anything else. (My 89 TPI had heat problems with the wires).

I also triple checked the part numbers for the plugs and they were the right ones. I'll check the battery connections next.

As far as aftermarket stuff, as far as I can tell, there aren't any aftermant parts in it. Its stock. It did get smacked in the front end (bumper cover replaced), I'll check around the cover area too.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Thanks. It had the factory wires on it all the way up till 75k , as were the plugs. I replaced them with factory plugs (the T.S.B. updated Iridiums) and thats been 7k since ('82k now). Its been doing this before the plugs and wiring change and after. I even put wire looms on the plug wires to try to keep heat out of them as well, so they don't come into contact with anything else. (My 89 TPI had heat problems with the wires).

I also triple checked the part numbers for the plugs and they were the right ones. I'll check the battery connections next.

As far as aftermarket stuff, as far as I can tell, there aren't any aftermant parts in it. Its stock. It did get smacked in the front end (bumper cover replaced), I'll check around the cover area too.

The aftermarket stuff I am talking about is what you said. "the car had some aftermarket "stereo" equipment in the trunk". That is the aftermarket parts I am talking about. Again I would check the work or how they installed it. Your shorting or grounding out... Tracking down an electrical is one of the hardest things to do.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    The aftermarket stuff I am talking about is what you said. "the car had some aftermarket "stereo" equipment in the trunk". That is the aftermarket parts I am talking about. Again I would check the work or how they installed it. Your shorting or grounding out... Tracking down an electrical is one of the hardest things to do.

Yes, I did. I thought you had meant aftermarket ignition parts (my brain got locked on the "spark plugs and wires" mode), sorry. Suffering a little "drain bammage" from to much of credit load in school, lol.

Yeah, it appeared that the orignial owner had put an amp or kicker box or something in the trunk. But the dealer that sold and State inspected it had removed it. Last year I tracked down, and removed, a translucent blue wire and a translucent red wire . The red wire was no longer attached to anything on either end, so it came all of the way out. I couldnt find where it had been spliced into previously. As far as the blue wire, it went from the trunk to the "A" pillar/ underside of the dash on the drivers side.I cut it down as far as I could under there and wrapped the exposed end with electrical tape as to not let it create a short (irony, isn't it?).

I guess I have to dismantle the dash now, don't I?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm just wondering... is the stock amp hooked up or is it still bypassed from when the other amp and sub box were installed?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Yes, I did. I thought you had meant aftermarket ignition parts (my brain got locked on the "spark plugs and wires" mode), sorry. Suffering a little "drain bammage" from to much of credit load in school, lol.

Yeah, it appeared that the orignial owner had put an amp or kicker box or something in the trunk. But the dealer that sold and State inspected it had removed it. Last year I tracked down, and removed, a translucent blue wire and a translucent red wire . The red wire was no longer attached to anything on either end, so it came all of the way out. I couldnt find where it had been spliced into previously. As far as the blue wire, it went from the trunk to the "A" pillar/ underside of the dash on the drivers side.I cut it down as far as I could under there and wrapped the exposed end with electrical tape as to not let it create a short (irony, isn't it?).

I guess I have to dismantle the dash now, don't I?

I know you put electrical tape on it. But it would be the first thing I would look for now.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I'm just wondering... is the stock amp hooked up or is it still bypassed from when the other amp and sub box were installed?
    Thats a good question. From what I have gathered about this head unit (and I may be wrong about this) , the amp is attached to the head unit. And from what the guys at the radio shop said everything with the head unit was working fine, so I took it as if the amp was in proper working order and still connected. Of course that and twenty-five cents might get me a cup of coffee in the morning.

Just to be safe, where is the amp, and how do I check to see if its connected/working??

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thats a good question. From what I have gathered about this head unit (and I may be wrong about this) , the amp is attached to the head unit. And from what the guys at the radio shop said everything with the head unit was working fine, so I took it as if the amp was in proper working order and still connected. Of course that and twenty-five cents might get me a cup of coffee in the morning.

Just to be safe, where is the amp, and how do I check to see if its connected/working??
    The amp isn't part of the head unit. It's in the back on the passenger side past the spare. Just check to see if it's wired up

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

The amp isn't part of the head unit. It's in the back on the passenger side past the spare. Just check to see if it's wired up
    Is there a chance anyone has a photo of the amp' in its proper location? If so I can compare to make sure everything looks right with it (no replacement parts or anything.)

Thanks

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I see if I can find one. If not, I'll try to take one later on for you

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I did a search online and was able to copy a picture for you from another site

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I did a search online and was able to copy a picture for you from another site

Click for full size
    Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow between classes. I dont remember that being there though. I'll let you know.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Okay, I did look in that area. As long as that darker rectangular area is indented, I do have that.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Okay, I did look in that area. As long as that darker rectangular area is indented, I do have that.
    Is it hooked up?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Is it hooked up?
    You know, I forgot to mention that. Yes, it is hooked up through the factory harness. All of the wiring for the power antenna looks good as well.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, at least they didn't leave you amp-less when they took out the other subs and amp.

And, now you know where the amp is and what it looks like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information