White
    1998 Trans Am

light out on wheels control

the light is out on the left side of my steering wheel control...what do i need to do to replace the bulb or whatever? just a GM part or can i get it anywhere else?

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I had always heard that the bulb was hard wired into the control unit and that it is easier to replace the entire piece. Not that it is imposible, but just not worth the trouble. I was also told that the replacement will likely burn out quickly.
    The control on the right side of my steering wheel is out and would like to know what others have done.

White
    1998 Trans Am

anybody help us out?

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I guess not, bro. We are on our own. Have you called around to local salvage yards? I bet you could pick up one fairly cheap. That is what I am thinking about doing.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Here is a write up from "THEDOC"

And sure enough, Google's cache comes through!! Check it out.

TheDoc 05-10-2004 03:09 AM
    Steering Wheel Radio Control LED Swap

So I decided that since one of my steering wheel radio control lights had gone out and because I just installed a shiny new Sony CDX-M9905 head unit, it seemed that it might be neat for my steering wheel radio controls to match the pretty blue color of the M9905.

Since I had no blue condom to put over the old incandescent bulb and because I never wanted to desolder and resolder these things again, I decided to research what it would take to do an LED swap for the incandescent bulbs.

After doing much research here on the forums and on LEDs and voltages, I decided to undertake the project.

I have a '98 Trans Am, and my steering wheel radio controls have the indentations in them. They are slightly different PCB-wise than the newer versions I've seen pictures of.

In order to bring the 12V feed down into the required 3.7-4.5V of the LEDs, I needed to step the voltage down. Doing some basic Ohm's Law calculations, I discovered I would need a 470-ohm, 1/4 watt resistor inbetween the positive feed and the LED. This brings the voltage to approximately 4V, which is within operating range of this particular LED.

Once I had that figured out I was ready to start. Steps below.

Parts Used:

Soldering Iron with fine pointed tip
    Desoldering tool
    Good silver-core solder
    Pair of needlenose pliers or a small crescent wrench

2 x Hi-Bright LEDs (I used Radio Shack 276-316 Blue, 3.7V, 20mA, 2600mcd)
    2 x 470ohm 1/4watt resistors (Radio Shack 271-1317, pack of 5)

As I go through these steps, I am assuming you have read this thread first:

(doesn't exist anymore)

Basic Steps:

1. Find the appropriate color LED you want to replace the bulb with.
    2. Do an ohm's law calculation to figure out what size resistor you need for the 12V feed.
    3. Pull the Airbag fuse then remove the airbag using a 5/32" hex wrench.
    4. Slack up the wires going to the steering wheel radio control by pulling them out of the channels they're stuffed into.
    5. Using a screwdriver, pop the control out of the steering wheel.
    6. Snap apart the control, then unscrew the tiny hex screw in the top corner of the PCB.
    7. De-solder the old bulb and discard
    8. Figure out which hole on the board represents positive and which represents ground. (see pics below)
    9. Solder the resistor into the positive hole on the PCB
    10. Solder the cathode (short side) of the LED to the PCB
    11. Solder together the remaining leads of the resistor and LED.
    12. Take to vehicle and test. If you get no light you probably soldered the LED on the board backwards. I had that problem on both sides because they're not mirror images of each other.
    13. Reassemble unit and snap back into vehicle.
    14. Drink a beer, then repeat steps 4-13 for the other side.
    15. Drink another beer and stuff the steering wheel radio control wires into the channels at the bottom and on the sides of the steering wheel.
    16. Re-bolt the airbag to the steering wheel and reconnect the fuse.
    17. Enjoy!

Total time required: Approx 2-4 hours, depending on your soldering skill and whether or not you choose to remove the airbag to give yourself some slack on the radio control wires. I would highly suggest doing so; it made it a lot less hassle to remove and replace the airbag than it would have been to tug and fuss with a wire that's too short.

Some pictures are here, with various before and after shots, along with shots of the PCB during stages of soldering for both left and right sides. Also included are pics of the final result and a comparison to the head unit and dash lights. Larger versions available upon request.

I tried to do this myself and had a hard time due to the small soldering points ... all I can say is take you time and if you can find the replacement bulb instead of a resistor and new buld PLEASE post !!!
    99 WS6 Trans AM
    Hurst Shifter
    Aftermarket Throttle Body
    KN Air Filter
    Strut Tower Brace
    Z06 Rims

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Steering wheel replacement LED's

Hey guys, I've been looking for the total replacement printed circuit board that has LED's installed to place in my steering wheel. It's out there, just can't believe I didn't save it to my favorites. It is a total replacement pc board that goes under your steering wheel buttons with LED's installed. When I find it again I will re-post.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

http://www.stevendbrown.com/Steering...oControls.html

Sorry it took so long to get anything back, but was going through some old posts and found this one. This is not an LED complete replacement plug and play, but it is an inexpensive way to replace the bulb yourself and save $80 taxes included!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think most of the info is already covered in this thread but I wanted to link the sticky here in case it has something that was missed.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33228

http://tierussianwoman.w-
    D.Grado

light out on wheels control

Heres a question.

Does anyones hazard switch light up/blink? I noticed the hole for a bulb, but it is covered and there is no bulb.

Thread Information