Just back from Best Buy,,need advice

Hey Guys, as a "electronically challenged" old dude I just got back from Best Buy with my 01 SS. Looking at the Infinity 62.7i to replace my front speakers which of course they dont have. So I talk to the install guy and he inspects what Ive got and Ive got an Infinity deck on a monsoon amp with factory speakers. He quotes me $275.00 for an install plus cost of the three pairs of speakers, two pair 6.5" one pair 5.25". Considering the average cost per pair of speakers Im looking at is $125.00 this is getting pricey fast. Im either goint to buy speakers myself then pay an installer if I find one I trust, or save up and pay out the nose at Best Buy which for returns and such is probably safer. Opinions?

black
    2002 WS6

Run away very fast from best buy and find a pro installer. It will be worth it. It's like any other shop, look around and find one that has been around a while and has knowledgable staff.

Even ask around at some dealers and see who they use if they don't do in house stuff.

Best Buy

Yes I was impressed when he couldnt even get the rear speaker panel off by himself, so Im looking in Dallas Texas area,, Checking out the Infinity speakers on SonicElectronix looks like a good site.

go to a place and that all they do , I herd to many storys about them i herd one that they set the air bags in a car doing a install and spliced wires all over the car causing a lot more problems and refused to fix the car

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Are any of your speakers blown that you have now?

What are you trying to accomplish?

And last but not least what kind of music do you listen to?

You can actually get great sound out of the stocks by putting a good quality 6 channel amp and just adding a sub for bass.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Best Buy

Front passenger is blown so I initially went in to have both door speakers replaced, Ive got a Alpine CDA 9827 installed but according to the Best Buy poohbah Ive stll got the Monsoon amp. I primarily listen to Rock or Country and hate the "thumpa thumpa" window vibrating rigs that seem to be all over South Dallas. Was thinking of replacing them all as the sail speakers dont seem to be connected anyway. Factory speakers might be the easiest route at this point but the 6.5" infinitis front and back is appealing with Infinity 5 1/4" installed on the side speakers. $275 for a "four hour" install seems wrong, hes not replacing the amp or anything major.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

What I would recommend is going around to a few REAL stereo shops.

Yes there prices are going to be more but you are just doing this as a exercise.

Take one of your favorite cd's and listen to the same song at each place. If your not familiar with the deck they are using ask the salesman to turn the bass and treble to 0. Then do an actual comparison at a high volume from a few different brands. Make sure they aren't power them with a high end amp or your never duplicate the sound.

This way you can actually see what is sounding best to you not going off brand name or price.

And if you really don't care for the bass then you are really looking for a good quality mid and tweet sound. When placing a sub you can actually hide shitty mids with hard hitting bass. Since you don't plan on doing that I would STRONGLY recommend replacing that stock POS amp with a quality 6 channel that has a low distortion rate and a high level of head room.

I have been into car audio since 93 and have a extensive collection. You can get a great deal on a good 6 channel on Ebay for $200-450 that will put any new imported junk to shame.

That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by LS2Tuner; 05-17-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Best Buy

Sounds like an excellent plan, I like crisp clear sound with decent base but not at the level currently in fashion in some circles...AC/DC to Garth Brooks is about my comfort zone,,,,off to shop. Thanks all!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Cool good luck.

Try to pick a good song that will have some what of deep bass so if they are going to distort they will.

And last but not least welcome to the site.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Damn, thats a hella lot to install a few speakers. Hell, it only took me about 5 hours or so to do a COMPLETE stereo in my truck. Thats head unit, amp, ALL new wire, HUGE power cable, 4 5 1/4" speakers, cap, etc. Hell, drive down here and I'll do it for $50. Couple hour drive, but it would still be cheaper than Best Buy. Unlike the most places I stand behind my work and don't take shortcuts.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

I also urge you to go somewhere other than best buy for this. Best buy is fine for purchasing, but i wouldn't have anything installed there. It is like a rookie starting point as far as installers go -- for the most part a bunch of kids that don't know much more than you do. I also agree with previous advice, a quality amp will make more difference in sound quality than brand of speaker. You should begin by replacing monsoon amp with quality amp(s) and then match speakers as necessary. As far as the 'boom boxes' you loath...just remember that a balanced subwoofer adds a lot to a complete system and does not necessarily have to fill a trunk or be heard across town... reinforcing low frequencies is important too and a sub(s) accomplishes that, no matter what kind of music at any volume you listen to. I have two 12's in my trunk (half trunk; and filled t/a hatch), but i still have more $$ invested in mid/high speakers and amps inside the car than in bass. I like having the t-tops off; or now having windows down, on the highway at 75 and being able to enjoy clear, loud music on a long trip. I understand it's not all about bass, but you may be disappointed if you forego some low-end reinforcement if you plan on listening over a modest volume!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

and to give myself a little credibility; not to mention I also do my own work and like to show off whenever possible :

Still 2 amps, 2200 watts, in the mustang--6 1/2 components in doors with crossovers in trunk and capacitor--most of which is hidden and still have use of half the trunk!!! YAY! and new CD player not necessary--sold the alpine from the t/a and kept stock mustang cd player. inside appears all stock except for tweeters flush mounted in door; which no one realizes isn't stock... I got carried away......Hope some of this helps with your decisions though You obviously want balanced, clear sound quality... at what volume and what price?

Best Buy

Wow, now Im really goint to have fun shopping, all good points and since Im keeping this car for quite awhile Im going to invest in good electronics. It will be fun buying the items then selecting the installer if I cant find a quality site in Dallas area, Im definitely not going to leave the car with joe bob and billy bob, thanks guys. Im going to get a setup with decent base range just not what seems the standard here in SOUTH Dallas.
    Last edited by Texasbadger; 05-18-2008 at 04:16 AM.

hey guys so you are sdaying if i change the monsson amp out with a JL audio 500/5 and leave the factory speakers in it will make the car sound better ? then i can add in the JL audio stealth box and have a system that will be better then what i have now ?

Right now everything is factory monsoon ?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by TA421 View Post
    hey guys so you are sdaying if i change the monsson amp out with a JL audio 500/5 and leave the factory speakers in it will make the car sound better ? then i can add in the JL audio stealth box and have a system that will be better then what i have now ?

Right now everything is factory monsoon ?
    Yes it will sound better. But what I will also tell you is that 500.5 amp is still NEW over sea's imported crap. You would get even better sound from a qaulity old school amp off Ebay.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

+1 on new amp on factory speakers. A good starting point. As far as 'new' vs. 'old' school amps; I don't know...never had any 'old school' to compare to. JL does recieve great reviews and by all accounts a top-notch amp. That set up should sound great, your factory speakers may eventually quit on ya but then you just replace them with some designed for the amp's power range. Good luck!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Like everyone else said run far far away from Best Buy not only did they try to charge me the wrong price and over charge at that, they refused to use my equipment that i brought, they wanted me to buy all of the accessories from them and they didnt even know what a Monsoon system was, he thought I had some Korean 100 watt system in my car. So go find a nice reputable shop who knows what they are doing.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

I found the speakers i liked in best buy around september and they were alpines, $130 a set. Bought them on amazon for about $45 a pair. I didnt have the t/a at the time but installing speakers is pretty darn easy. Unless doing custom wiring with subs or something anyone with a screw driver can install speakers.

Btw i found that kenwoods had the best highs and alpines had the best mid/high overall`imo. But since we have seperate tweeters i'd find a good pair of those on amazon and some speakers with good mids so i probablywouldnt consider kenwood.

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Not only does Best Buy do shabby work, they LOVE to cut Factory harnesses.
    Snip...Snip...Snip....

Ive done lots of re-work for these boneheads...and I'd kill if they cut my factory harness rather than using a $7.00 wiring adapter.

Thread Information