Thread: iPod Question

Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

iPod Question

I've been reading some stuff about the iPod jack for the 98-02 trans am. and some say you need a tape player and/or a source button. i don't have either is there anyway to still connect it in?

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie311 View Post
    I've been reading some stuff about the iPod jack for the 98-02 trans am. and some say you need a tape player and/or a source button. i don't have either is there anyway to still connect it in?
    I have an aftermarket alpine headunit. Usually the easiest way to use your ipod in the car is with an FM transmitter or the tape adapter, but I've heard that the song quality is not as good. To directly connect to your headunit they make a cable that plugs into your headphone jack on your ipod, and into the input jack in the back of your headunit. If you don't have an input, like mine did, they made an adapter for about $50 that plugged into the output... and then into my ipod and also wired in and charged it.... not sure if that will work on a stock headunit though.

Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

yeah but wat about with the stock head unit in

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

yes it will work with any gm radio. You just need the gm kit harness. i have one if you need one.

BLACK
    2002 SS

They have this kits on Ebay here is the link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PERIPHERAL-PXGM9...QQcmdZViewItem

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yeah, this was initially what I was going to go with. But then I decided, among other things, that I wanted to control the ipod from my deck.

Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

if you use that harness kit can you control it with the track buttons?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

The ipod harness I have I purchased at the stereo shop I got my deck from. I don't know if it is the "GM" harness, just that I can totally controll my ipod from my Alpine deck.

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ki2Qwe7...spec+auxiliary

This is what you need. It controls the iPod from your factory radio. Through the iPod wherever you want, you don't have to even look at it. Crutchfield is always out of stock but there are other sites that have it, I think you can also go to a Tweeter store and get one.

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Sorry, the above post is wrong. That one is just to connect any audio device with right left inputs.
    Here is the real link for iPod control.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ki2Qwe7...=usa+spec+ipod

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by romulo13 View Post
    Sorry, the above post is wrong. That one is just to connect any audio device with right left inputs.
    Here is the real link for iPod control.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ki2Qwe7...=usa+spec+ipod
    DAYUM for that much I would rather get SFCs. I bought an FM transmiter from best buy for $39 and it works great. Here is one that looks better than mine, cost a little more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1127210996478

Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

i found this if anyone else is looking for it

http://www.icarkits.com/advanced_sea...icle=1&sort=4d

Black
    2002 SS SLP Camaro

I have this one:iPod2Car (PXHGM1) Peripheral Electronics, as posted above and it works great with the stock head unit.... You do however have to get rid of the cd changer to used this, if you have one. But you can control it through the steering wheel controls and the controls of the stock head unit. Just have to hit the Aux button. the sound is high Quality.

red and black
    02TransAm WS6 & 2011 2SS

Ok...I have a question...Just got a JVC H/U that advertises it's self as ipod ready. My husband got it for me for Chrsitmas, so I wasn't there to test it out...it has a USB port that will play from a jump drive and they said that you can hook up your ipod to the USB and it will play from there too...only problem is, it doesn't. Jump drive works, ipod doesn't. I 've called around and Best Buy says it should work that they installed the same HU in other cars and it works fine through USB, JVC says I will need to purchase an Interface adapter......anyone know?

red and black
    02TransAm WS6 & 2011 2SS

One other question....I have a Mac at home w/ all my music on it. I put a few songs on my jump drive to see if it would work w/ my JVC and it did. So I went back to put more music on it and now my Mac will not use the drive. It will not let me copy to or from or delete.....but the jump drive works fine on a PC? Did the JVC fry my jump drive?

This is why I like Panasonic....

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Ok...I have a question...Just got a JVC H/U that advertises it's self as ipod ready. My husband got it for me for Chrsitmas, so I wasn't there to test it out...it has a USB port that will play from a jump drive and they said that you can hook up your ipod to the USB and it will play from there too...only problem is, it doesn't. Jump drive works, ipod doesn't. I 've called around and Best Buy says it should work that they installed the same HU in other cars and it works fine through USB, JVC says I will need to purchase an Interface adapter......anyone know?
    Maybe its because you opened a christmas present before christmas

Black
    2002 SS SLP Camaro

I had to download some drivers to my IPOD so it worked properly , might want to check into that .
    2002 SS, M6, Volant CAI,SLP 345hp pkg,MSD 8.5 plug wires,NGK TR6 plugs,SLP Loudmouth and CME,SLP IAT,SLP Billet steel flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch,Bilstien 2LE Susp,BF goodrich ta/kwd's, 341.9 RWHP and 362.7 RWTQ

red and black
    02TransAm WS6 & 2011 2SS

Quote Originally Posted by curly130 View Post
    I had to download some drivers to my IPOD so it worked properly , might want to check into that .
    Does it connect via USB?

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    The usb port only reads Mp3/WMA so if your ipod songs are in AAC format it wont read them.
    Last edited by Jetblak; 01-03-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: AAC is apples own format

weberje
    With some head units, if you interface the I Pod from the rear HU aux port, then you lose the ability to navigate the I Pod and have to do it thru the HU instead. One HU I was looking at had you searching thru your songs alphabetically, and it was a PIA. As always, do your research.

Thread Information