Red
    1998 A4 TA

installed sub, did i blow something?

Yesterday I installed a 10" sub and amp. To make the installation easy, I spliced my RCAs that plug into the amp from the 4" mids in the hatch, sent it through a filter and then to my amp and sub. It sounded great, but then today I hit a little bump, and suddenly I lost sound... sort of.

If you put your ears right up to the hatch speakers you can hear the music faintly. I checked all fuses and connections already. Has this happened to anyone else? Did I blow the monsoon external amp, or is there one built into the head unit that I blew?

I've also been having weird issues with my volume knob where if I turn it down slightly the volume will spike, and vice versa.

I just bought this TA 2 days ago, but owned a firebird before it that I had the same amp/sub in for 5 years, but it didn't have the monsoon. I thought it would be fine.

Any ideas?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrad2 View Post
    Yesterday I installed a 10" sub and amp. To make the installation easy, I spliced my RCAs that plug into the amp from the 4" mids in the hatch, sent it through a filter and then to my amp and sub. It sounded great, but then today I hit a little bump, and suddenly I lost sound... sort of.

If you put your ears right up to the hatch speakers you can hear the music faintly. I checked all fuses and connections already. Has this happened to anyone else? Did I blow the monsoon external amp, or is there one built into the head unit that I blew?

I've also been having weird issues with my volume knob where if I turn it down slightly the volume will spike, and vice versa.

I just bought this TA 2 days ago, but owned a firebird before it that I had the same amp/sub in for 5 years, but it didn't have the monsoon. I thought it would be fine.

Any ideas?
    Your tweeters are powered by the HU -- that's what we were discussing in the other thread. Are you trying to say that you used speaker level inputs for the amp? What do you mean you spliced the RCAs into the hatch wires????

If you used an LOC there -- the signal would be pretty dirty..

Red
    1998 A4 TA

I take back this post. It turned out that the guy I bought the car from had a system installed and removed it. He had cut some wires to splice something in at the HU, and reconnected them without covering the wires again, so I just had to fix that and it works fine now.

Oh, and to clarify, I just wanted my sub installed ASAP since I'll be doing it again shortly. I spliced the wire going from the monsoon amp to hatch mids, sent it through a low pass filter and then to my sub's amp, which happens to connect using RCA plugs. I should have been more clear, but I was in a hurry. It's not a great setup ( the beat is definitely off, but lets not get into that again haha ), but it was easy, and only temporary

Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

Thread Information