texas_nightowl

Infinity's to replace front stock speakers question.

Recently, the passenger side door speaker in my 2000 Camaro (w/Monsoon) has been giving me problems. Varying noises that are constant but increases/decreases in intensity based on volume and/or voice vs. music. And since the driver side speaker is fine I'm assuming the problem to be just the one speaker. I have done some searching and see that most people recommend the Infinity Kappa 62.7i speakers as replacements. I was wondering if the Kappa 652.7i speakers are a better fit or not? For example, cardomain.com says the 62.7i's require an adapter while the 652.7i's "fit." On the other hand, crutchfield says neither one fits yet this seems to be a common model that is mentioned to replace the stock speakers with.

As a note...I am not very mechanical, meaning I'm not going to replace them myself but will have a local place do it. But I do want to know that I'm telling them to put the right things in.

It's very simple to do it yourself, stick with the 62.7i's and don't pay any labor fees

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

If u do it yourself the door panels can seem alil tricky. Biggest problem I had was the stupid plastic piece over the doorlock lever that moves side to side. Just baby that panel as you take it off, you don't wanna break any of those stupid plastic clips man. Once the panel is completely off it's smooth sailing...Four screws on the speaker bracket and four wires on a stupid 2ohm stock speaker...

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

if i were you i'd remove all the oem speakers, headunit, etc.... buy a nice infinity component set... decent headunit... decent amp and rewire it all. you dont need 10+ speakers to make it sound good just a nice componenty system will work and sound better than the monsoon. my first trans am i replaced a few speakers with boston accoustic speakers with the OEM system and it didn't sound good to me. i've always heard if you replace one or two speakers you might as well wait and replace them all for a better sounding setup.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Just pulled my door panel off-it appears that I've blown a front door speaker in my monsoon set-up.A little too much rock and roll abuse-oh well.Just wanted to point out that when pulling the door panel I just left the window switch, inside door handle, and lock slide thingy intact -popped it loose from the door panel and then turned the door panel kinda side ways and manuevered it through the hole.Seems easier than pulling the knobs and handles and connectors off and apart,hope this helps someone.Thanks for the advice on replacement speakers-but I looked on the crutchfield web site and they are recommending the Infinity Reference 6012si for the door panel speakers.There is a review from a guy with a 2002 Camaro who says they sound awesome-anybody else tried these? It also says that neither of the 62.7i or the 652.7i will fit this location-what would be the hold up on the fit?Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 01-22-2006 at 09:50 AM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Well I just ordered some Infinity Reference 6012si from Techronics.com for $43 less than Crutchfield sells them for.I'll let you know how it works out when they get here.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I have the Infinity 62.7i in the front, they connect and fit just like stock, no modification needs to be done and no adaptors at all. They have 2 seperate sets of inputs just like the stock speakers and sound great. Get the 62.7i, doesn't matter what any site says (( they fit perfect )) in my 02 Z28. I have pictures of the 62.7i and the stock speaker side by side, the height is the same, magnet on the 62.7i is smaller and connections are in the same place. I bought mine off Ebay for under $90 shipped with 2 days shipping. The Infinity Reference 6012si is a 4ohm speaker and will get 1/2 the power compared to the 62.7i which is 2ohm. The stock Monsoon front speakers and backseat subs are 2ohm and the Monsoon amp puts out a 2ohm load.

Here is the main points to look for in a speaker replacement if your keeping the Monsoon amp, if not this doesn't apply:
    1)needs to fit the 6.5s(oversize) opening
    2)2ohm
    3)2 sets of inputs like the stock monsoon setup(seperate tweeter and seperate for bass)
    4)efficiency
    The 62.7i, connects like stock, fits like stock and is 2 ohm like stock, the tweeter on the 62.7i is 2ohm and the stock is 4ohm, but there shouldn't be any issues..I have had 0 problems and tweeters don't suck as much power to overheat the hu amp like a mid bass speaker does.

The Infinity Reference 6012si, they will fit fine just like the 62.7i, but they are 4ohm, you will get 1/2 the power with them over the 62.7i. They only have 1 set of inputs, the stock Monsoon setup has 2 sets of inputs like the 62.7i, that is 1 of the main things that make the 62.7i a ideal speaker for the front replacements, plus they are 2 ohm like stock. It may be impossible to wire the 6012si to work with the Monsoon amp. I would not even try to install the 6012si unless you are adding a amp also, or running it off the headunit only and bypassing the Monsoon amp all together.

The speakers in the F body are really a odd setup, 2 ohm sail panel subs, front door woofer runs off the monsoon amp at 2ohm and the tweeter is powered by the headunit and far rear speakers are also powered by the HU at 4ohm. Is rare to see front speakers with 2 inputs, they are basically like a component set with seperate inputs for tweeter and bass, but designed like a coaxil and all mounted on the same speaker . The 62.7i and 63.7 is identical to stock and is the ONLY choice out there for front stock speaker replacement without modification. People have used Alpines with modifications too, but for perfect fit, connections like stock and 2 ohm sub, the 62.7i is really the only choice out there.

The picture shows 1 set of inputs, but on the other side of the speaker there is another set.

I added this picture to show the inputs, is hard to see in pic, but look close to the stock speaker and the 62.7i, they are the same setup. Notice both have a set of inputs on each side, this is where the 62.7i is different than most speakers. Normally, the only way your going to get 2 sets of inputs is with component speakers, the problem with most component speakers is the want more power and the 62.7i is a very efficient speaker and I would say even more than the stock speakers, so they have more bass and the highs sound better too.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-23-2006 at 10:17 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Thanks for the info-I'm attempting to change my order as I'm writing this.My home garage is not very well lit and I didn't even notice the speaker wiring until you said something-I've never seen speakers wired like that before!Why these on-line stores don't tell you some of this stuff I don't understand-I bet they get alot of returns and P.O.d people !!Alright thanks again-your saving me some grief there.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Just for clarification...

the Monsoon amp, or any amp for that matter, does not put out a load. The amp outputs power to the load which is the speakers.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    99 SS

those speakers are very good! i highy reccommend, just replaced mine last night in the rear by the HATCH! they are a Massive improvement over the factory ones.

so the ones in the front are also the same size as the ones in the Rear??? because i like these a lot and they are not very pricy.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

ok-that's not what he was saying about the 4 ohm vs. the 2 ohm speakers-what he was saying is that the 4 ohm speakers will only put out half the sound at the same volume setting.In other words the 4 ohm load doesn't match up with the rest of the system.They don't tell you any of this stuff on the crutchfield website-all they say is they fit.There is even a review from a guy w/2002 camaro saying they sound great-he leaves out the part about how he changed everything in his stereo set-up to use them! They fit but the wiring is not compatible with the stock wiring-grrr.Thanks for the info-can't wait to get the right speakers in there.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Happy I could help....is kinda tough trying to explain the Monsoon setup unless you actually see it.

The sailpanel subs are the same size too and much easier to replace, you just pull off the speaker cover and the speaker is there. I had a problem with 1 of mine and used one of the old stock speakers out of the door in place of the sub and just hooked the bass up and it sounds about the same as the sub that was in there. I have been thinking lately about getting another set of the 62.7i's, add some filler in the sail panels and add sound deadening to make a smaller space so the 62.7i will perform better, then wire the rear hatch output to the tweeter on the 62.7i, would give 4 matched speakers and should sound really good.

Thread Information