n2ophx

Ideas on sub setup??

I have a 98 trans-am and I want to put a 10 inch JL audio in the hatch. The only problem is that I have a 15 lbs bottle of nitrous setup in the area where my t-tops are suppose to be. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i would be able to fit a sub and amp in the hatch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Put a JL audio drivers side stealthbox, or subthump drivers side box or there is a few others that make them(fits where the cd changer shelf is) or there is a passenger side box subthump makes, but you have to do some mods to make it work, both of those take up 0 space in the T top area. I put my amp and capacitor in the area where my spare tire used to be or can mount it up on the rear deck behind the back seats or subthump makes a amp rack that fits against the t top area under the latch and takes up very little space. Go to subthump.com, the quality is great...wish they still made the vinyl millhouse box...I want one to replace the carpeted one I have...that would be a good option for you too if they still made them...it flips up and replaces the flap to hide your t top well.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 11-24-2005 at 09:40 PM.

n2ophx
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if is possible to use a different sub other that the W3 that originally comes with the stealthbox?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

You can put any sub in there that fits the airspace needed for a sealed enclosure. One thing about going with a higher power handling sub is too big and may not fit in depth, so would need to make sure it does and also a larger power handling sub takes up more overall air space. For instance, I have a Millhouse box made for 2 JL audio 10w0's and they sounded great for the last couple years I used them, then a low voltage problem and I fried them. So I decided to get some subs with a little more power handling..air space requirements were the same for the JL and my new subs, but the Magnet is huge on the new subs. When I put them in my bass was good, but didn't hit low enough and on certain bass cds sounded odd. Then I thought about the reduced air space from the larger sub and packed a bunch of polyfill to make it seem like a bigger space. Now it sounds great, bass hits low and hits the way it should. So, if the box you get is a little to small for the sub your getting you can add pollyfill to get a little more out of it. Depending how the box is built it may not be able to handle a really high power handling sub. Go to subthump and he makes the box that looks great and can even do one on each side to add 2 subs. I know some can be made to your subs specs, but not sure on the stealth type box. Also, I seen in a local car audio store a stealth type drivers box from a company called proboxrocks and it looked really solid and was coated inside and out with the stuff used when you get a bedliner sprayed on your truck, but they ran about $150 for the box.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 11-26-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Thread Information