Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I need a new System

Well I had my friend (he just finished getting certified for installing car stereos) check out my system the other day, and it looks like I need to redo just about everything.

The previous owner of the car apparently modified the audio system himself, based on the hacked up job he did. He left the front component speakers stock (they are shot, nose cones are all pushed in) and replaced the rear seat speakers with JL units. He also installed a JL 300/4 Amp in the back, which I've been told is a very nice unit. Problem is that only 4 of the 6 speakers are actually powered by the Amp. The rearmost speakers in the hatch just run off the headunit, meaning they sound like crap and are very quiet. So overall the system pretty much sounds like garbage.

So I'm looking to replace the front component speakers and hatch component speakers, somehow amplify the rearmost hatch speakers, and install a 10" sub where the stock CD changer sets.

Advice?? I really don't know much about audio, suggestions for brand and setup are appreciated.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

if you're doing all that modding, i suggest putting some full ranges in both the front and the back seats [most would agree on a infinity 62.7i] and completely disgarding the rear hatch. Then add a sub[s]

quick question are you replacing the monsoon amp/bypassing it for the one you got? Most would strongly suggest that only since you're doing so much work anyway. If you are replacing, your buddy will know what to do, if you ARE NOT, then read on....

just rememeber, the signals that go to the rear seats are low-end signals only, you might have to wire the new full ranges from the hatch signal; hence the reason i said delete the hatch speakers all together.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    if you're doing all that modding, i suggest putting some full ranges in both the front and the back seats [most would agree on a infinity 62.7i] and completely disgarding the rear hatch. Then add a sub[s]
    Ok cool...but I must ask...what are "full ranges"?? Sorry, I'm a noob with audio stuff. I am planning on adding a 10" sub where the stock CD changer resides, I think that would fit nicely and add some much needed bass.

quick question are you replacing the monsoon amp/bypassing it for the one you got? Most would strongly suggest that only since you're doing so much work anyway. If you are replacing, your buddy will know what to do, if you ARE NOT, then read on....

just rememeber, the signals that go to the rear seats are low-end signals only, you might have to wire the new full ranges from the hatch signal; hence the reason i said delete the hatch speakers all together.
    I'll have to look into that. I'm assuming the previous owner bypassed it though, since my front 4 speakers run through the JL Amp that the guy put in. So you think it would be more economical to bypass the hatch speakers?? I like the idea of having a 6 speaker system, but if its more trouble than its worth, I guess I'll do without it. Thanks for the help.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

full range= speakers that deliver high and low end. normally are 4", 6" or 6x9 or 4x8...(the list goes on) and have 1 woofer and 1 or 2 tweeters with either 1 or 2 signal inputs. They're the meat n potatoes of every car set up. You can add thump with low range "subwoofers" and articulate the high end with tweeters-but since full range speakers come with tweeters, that's unnecessary.

Honestly, if you put 4 full range speakers [2 in front doors, 2 in back seats] you wouldn't even hear the rear hatch speakers b/c you're allready surrounded with sound. If anything-it'll echo; hence the "hatch delete"

yes, that cubby hole is a great location. check out www.subthump.com for a stealth enclosure and amp rack

if you're really totally new to all of this, you'll want your audio friend there for the helping hand. The f-body system is very akward and you have to keep reminding him that bass signals are in the the rear seats and full range signals go to the hatch and doors [based on the stock amp]. This may not be true in your case since the previous owner re-worked it. I suggest the ole "unplug and listen" to determine what is being powered by what

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

full range= speakers that deliver high and low end. normally are 4", 6" or 6x9 or 4x8...(the list goes on) and have 1 woofer and 1 or 2 tweeters with either 1 or 2 signal inputs. They're the meat n potatoes of every car set up. You can add thump with low range "subwoofers" and articulate the high end with tweeters-but since full range speakers come with tweeters, that's unnecessary.

Honestly, if you put 4 full range speakers [2 in front doors, 2 in back seats] you wouldn't even hear the rear hatch speakers b/c you're allready surrounded with sound. If anything-it'll echo; hence the "hatch delete"

yes, that cubby hole is a great location. check out www.subthump.com for a stealth enclosure and amp rack

if you're really totally new to all of this, you'll want your audio friend there for the helping hand. The f-body system is very akward and you have to keep reminding him that bass signals are in the the rear seats and full range signals go to the hatch and doors [based on the stock amp]. This may not be true in your case since the previous owner re-worked it. I suggest the ole "unplug and listen" to determine what is being powered by what
    Thanks for all the information.

I'm hopefully going to be getting the new speakers and a sub this week, and having it installed within the next couple weeks by my friend. I think I'll be going with the component speakers in the front and deleting the hatch speakers like you suggested, that definitely makes sense.

Would you suggest a 10" sub or a 12" sub for the rear drivers side CD changer compartment??

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

10" baby, they hit the best in my opinion. 12's sound sloppy to me

keep in mind-the front speakers are 2ohm [if they're running off the stock amp]

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

10" baby, they hit the best in my opinion. 12's sound sloppy to me

keep in mind-the front speakers are 2ohm [if they're running off the stock amp]
    I'll go with the 10" then.

Thanks for the help man

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Are you using the stock amp or were you going to power the fronts separately? Is the HU aftermarket?

Might want to consider components in front if you weren't using the factory amp if you wish to keep your separate tweeter locations.

n/a
    n/a

Can i suggest something? They're a smaller brand but there products are amazing, you should check out Elemental Design. They're prices are unmatched for the quality, and they're customer service is amazing. On the last forum i was on, they gave us a group discount and i bought 3 10in subs for $75 each! These are no radioshack crap subs either, they hit hard and sound amazing. Before you deside to go for some big name brand, just keep in mind that they charge more BECAUSE they're a "big named brand" whereas elemental design charges less and has higher quality because they need to get their name out there. Just something different to think about. Search them on yahoo, i forget their website

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Elemental Designs is not TOP of the line stuff, but definitely a better choice than most every "common" brand, etc and VERY high quality (my next setup is eD actually). You aren't going to find a group discount though I don't think....not sure where you received that price from -- was that back when they had the forum discounts at ICIX? Either way, their website is ElementalDesigns.com.

On top of all that, they are one of the better choices for the stealthbox enclosures, along with TCsounds and others I can list later if interested.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Are you using the stock amp or were you going to power the fronts separately? Is the HU aftermarket?

Might want to consider components in front if you weren't using the factory amp if you wish to keep your separate tweeter locations.
    Well right now I have a JL 300/4 amp running the front 4 speakers, and the hatch speakers are running directly off the headunit. I'm going to bypass the hatch speakers though, since they don't do much anyway. The stock amp has already been bypassed by the JL, which was installed by the previous owner.

I'm definitely going with components in the front, and keeping the factory locations for the tweeters. I'm also going to get a 10" sub and a separate amp to run that.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

explain 4 speakers in the front? are you refering to 2 tweeters and 2 mids in each door as "4 speakers" ... i would think you're wasting the amp on the tweeters, not to mention you'd be powering front speakers with the both front and rear signals from the amp? If that's the case, amp the mids in the doors and amp the new full ranges in the back seats and wire the tweeters directly to the stock HU

Sorry if i'm confused.

n/a
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Elemental Designs is not TOP of the line stuff, but definitely a better choice than most every "common" brand, etc and VERY high quality (my next setup is eD actually). You aren't going to find a group discount though I don't think....not sure where you received that price from -- was that back when they had the forum discounts at ICIX? Either way, their website is ElementalDesigns.com.

On top of all that, they are one of the better choices for the stealthbox enclosures, along with TCsounds and others I can list later if interested.
    Back when i used to have a Chevy Cavalier, i was on a site called www.j-body.org and there was a guy there who worked for ED and got a discount for the site. With or without the discount there prices are pretty darn good.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

explain 4 speakers in the front? are you refering to 2 tweeters and 2 mids in each door as "4 speakers" ... i would think you're wasting the amp on the tweeters, not to mention you'd be powering front speakers with the both front and rear signals from the amp? If that's the case, amp the mids in the doors and amp the new full ranges in the back seats and wire the tweeters directly to the stock HU

Sorry if i'm confused.
    Sorry for the confusion, what I meant by "front 4 speakers" was the front component speakers and the rear seat speakers.

So I'll have the front amp output going to the components in the doors (tweeter/mids) and the rear output going to the JL speakers that I have in the back seat area. I'll bypass the hatch speakers all together, and then use the other amp that I'm going to buy to run the 10" sub.

So essentially I'll have a 2 amp, 4 speaker system - 2 components, 2 regular speakers, and a sub.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kawana View Post
    Back when i used to have a Chevy Cavalier, i was on a site called www.j-body.org and there was a guy there who worked for ED and got a discount for the site. With or without the discount there prices are pretty darn good.
    Must have just been an authorized dealer and not actually working for eD. I actually have a friend who is an authorized dealer -- I doubt authorized dealers are allowed to create GPs..

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Wesman, who'd you piss off to get banned?!?!?

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Wesman, who'd you piss off to get banned?!?!?
    I called 30thbird out because he is not a friendly or helpful poster on this site. And thats putting it nicely.

Go look at his posts, you'll see what I mean. he leaves negative feedback for people that agree with me because he hates me so much. So I lashed out and called him an asshole, and I got banned. He got nothing, even though he instigated the situation by calling me names. Not very fair if you ask me.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

shitty.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

shitty.
    I actually got banned again for explaing that to you lol. I won't say anything else on the subject, might get banned again

Anyhow, I ended up going with a 10" Infiniti Sub, a Rockford Fosgate Kicker Amp, and a set of Infiniti component speakers for the front. I got everything at Best Buy, and $100 off for getting the components, since they were open box. I'm using the JL 300/4 as the speaker amp, and the Rockford as the sub amp. The rear seat (sailpanel) speakers are also JL, so I'll be leaving those alone.

However, when my friend and I went to install everything today, we opened the box for the Infiniti components, and realized that they were missing the crossovers. So we went back to Best Buy, and there reponse was either I return the speakers and give them the $100 gift card back, or buy an unopened box and give them the gift card back. Not the options I was hoping for. So I returned them and bought a set of Poineer 3-Way, non-component speakers for $80, and I ended up getting money back since the components were $220.

We installed the Poineer front speakers when we got back today, and along with the JL rear speakers, it sounds very good. Now we just need to get the sub and amp wired up, and redo some wiring to eliminate the hatch speakers. Overall I think it will come out nice.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

geez...what a mess. I hate when i have to go back and get something. That would drive me nuts. I'm glad you got it all in there-Just for clearification, did you bypass the monsoon amp or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information