Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

How do u determine if an amp is blown or not?

i have a Hifonics brutas 1000dx amp, 1000 watt RMS. a few months ago i was listening to my music pretty loud and then all of the sudden the sub stopped.

the amp has power, but doesnt play the sub. there is no protect light on.

is it blown or can it be fixed?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Did you check the sub's voice coil to see if it still has continuity? I would think the sub would blow before the amp would. If it is the amp you'd probably be better off buying a new one.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I blew my old school hifonics amp the same way..playing the bass loud and the voice coil on the sub blew and took out the amp at the same time. If not even a pop sound is coming out the sub, then it is probably the amp. Also push down on the sub and see if it fried it. I had some JL audio 10w0's in Camaro for 4 years, then one day no sound.. looked at the fuse and then pushed on the cone of the sub and it was froze up. I have blown about 5 amps so far. I run a old school mtx 2150x(been using since 1998 or 1999 in different setups and the thing is solid. When I first started using it, I tried running a single 12 inch solabaric and fried the sub and amp.. Tried a Boston 12 and same thing.. was tired of replacing them, so decided on 2 10's and has lasted since 2002 with zero issues until I blew the 10w0's(they were around 6 years old and pushed hard for long periods). Now I am running some Memphis Audio 10's and like them even better. I am off topic now..

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i have a Hifonics brutas 1000dx amp, 1000 watt RMS. a few months ago i was listening to my music pretty loud and then all of the sudden the sub stopped.

the amp has power, but doesnt play the sub. there is no protect light on.

is it blown or can it be fixed?
    My first guess if the sub isn't getting anything at all to it check the fuse, and does the amp have that burnt electronics smell? Check all connections and if the amp is dead try taking it to an electronics shop, usualy you can get a free estimate.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I would think if your amp blows, you will smell it. I've blown two amps in my day and they the had that burnt electrical smell.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Black
    02 SS #8850

I don't see how a sub blowing up would take the amp with it. When subs blow, the voice coil breaks apart creating a very high impedance which is no harm to the amp at all...correct?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea the problem is that i put in a new amp right after and the sub was fine. Loud as hell. the amp didnt smell like burnt electrical. the fuse was not blown either. the only problem is that it gets power, but doesnt give out power.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    I don't see how a sub blowing up would take the amp with it. When subs blow, the voice coil breaks apart creating a very high impedance which is no harm to the amp at all...correct?
    I blew the sub and amp at the same time..happened more than once.. even seen smoke coming out of the sub a few times.

Also, check the ground, I've had bad grounds that appeared to be a bad amp. If your sub is removable take it in the house and hook it up to the stereo and see if it plays.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Also, check the ground, I've had bad grounds that appeared to be a bad amp. If your sub is removable take it in the house and hook it up to the stereo and see if it plays.
    see i would do that, but everything works just fine with another amp. so it has to be a problem with the amp. i was just wondering if it was blown or not because it has power, but doesnt play.

Black
    02 SS #8850

Well if the fuses are all good and another amp works, then yeah something inside is blown.

Thread Information